Bob Geldof

[quote=therock67 ]

Bono does not legally have to pay more taxes, morally i dont think he does either as Ireland would not be materially wealthier per personif he did pay this ā€œshareā€

I donā€™t honestly believe that you think thatā€™s right. My taxes donā€™t make much difference to the state (Iā€™d even guess far less than Bonoā€™s would) but I have an obvious moral obligation to pay taxes nevertheless. Furthermore if Iā€™m going to be government policy advocate where I make it my business (and everyone elseā€™s business) to tell the government how to spend their tax revenue then Iā€™ll be damn sure that I contribute my share first.

Itā€™s like me going to a Ryanair AGM next week and proposing a motion that Michael Oā€™Learyā€™s salary be reduced by 20%. Iā€™d be thrown out of the place because I donā€™t have shares - Iā€™ve made no contribution so Iā€™ve no right to speak.

donā€™t think that argument stacks up. if bono paid his taxes here does that mean he could only complain to the irish government about African crisis and not any other government because he only paid taxes in this state? Do we not have the right to complain about the USAā€™s envirionment policy as we donā€™t pay taxes there. Both are global issues and all individuals should have the right to complain about them no matter where they pay their taxes as long as they do so legally.

You cant string a few words together so there its a waste of time arguing with you

Iā€™ve argued with you before many times. You have crazy ideas that you donā€™t back down on so I can see this debate going on forever

Here I am putting a perfectly logical argument together and

1. you donā€™t address it
  2. you go off in some tangent

Bono is essentially asking governments of the world to do something that he wouldnā€™t do. That is my point.

I too was putting together a logical argument and you didnt address it; i asked you the following question: is he entitled to arrange his affairs to have the least exposure possible , yes or no

and you refused to answer

Removed that - not going to give you a stick to beat me

Itā€™s a line from ā€˜Branchesā€™ by Midlake which was stuck in my head one morning

Yes he is

But he is not then entitled to tell someone else that they SHOULD NOT do the same thing

OK, thanks farmer.

Either he is doing something wrong or he isnt. You cant say he is entitled to this and then in a later argument say that this was wrong and makes him a hypocrit

He is asking these governments to look at the moral implications of this debt, not the same thing as him looking to save on his tax bill

2 things:

1. Can thepiedpier and BRBL put some effort into formatting their posts correctly? Theyā€™re a nightmare to read.

2. Farmerā€™s last point is the clincher.

are we allowed to condemn the USAā€™s environment policy even though we donā€™t pay taxes there? by your rationale we arenā€™t.

How can you not see that these are one and the same thing.

The government has a balance of payments. It has income from two sources - debt repayments from poorer countries and tax income. Bono doesnā€™t want to pay any tax income but wants to tell the government not to collect money from poorer countries either. He complained about the lack of stadia in this country too a while back. Where does he expect this money to come from? Everyone else is the simple answer.

Thatā€™s fine if you donā€™d mind being selfish. If you want to tell everyone how to live their lives then itā€™s pure hypocrisy.

By paying income tax 3 times higher than wealthy American corporations do here then I am effectively subsidising corporation tax for US multinationals and contributing hugely to the US economy.

Either way I am not telling them how to run their economy which is a differernt matter entirely. There are plenty of things Iā€™d change about the US economy but I donā€™t harp on about it because itā€™s not my place.

Is George Monbiot wrong to be critical of the US env policy so? He doesnā€™t pay taxes there so would you condemn him for ā€˜harping on about itā€™?

No - read my posts. Heā€™s not telling them how to spend their money. Heā€™s talking about a global solution to a global problem. If he drove an SUV and paid no car tax or duty on his fossil fuels then Iā€™d say he was a hypocrite.

See this is what I am talking about. It is impossible to get anywhere with you. All I can say to you is to read the bloody post again. What I am saying is he is entitled to avoid tax (with all his money he has a moral obligation to give some back - thats beside the point) if he so wishes but he is not entitled to tell someone else that they should NOT do the same thing

In other words, asking western governments to abolish Third World debt equates to asking someone not to avoid tax

Look rock, i got a problem making the link that you are, because of the below:

• Irelandā€™s balance of payments is extremely healthy and he has satisfied his legal contribution to it (zero in this case), there is no moral requirement for him to contribute further

• If however, Irelands economy was crippled with foreign debt and millions of peoples lives could be saved by an improved balance of payments, i would then appeal for charity, and yes i would then ask the rich people who are avoiding tax to consider donations.

• I think your ā€œselfishā€ comment is unfair. If you were in his position I would expect you to do the same and avoid the tax. And while i think the system sucks, i dont expect rational people to do anything other than use it to their benefit

Iā€™m not saying that he should pay taxes to allow the government to pay off our debt. Iā€™m saying that if he wants the government to allow other countries not to pay Ireland what they owe then he needs to keep his side of the bargain.

To me it comes down to this: If everyone had his attitude there would be far more poverty in the world, not less. So he can fuck off telling the rest of us what to do because weā€™re doing the right thing by the rest of the world and heā€™s not. Irrespective of whether he finds it acceptable or not.

no it does not.

For a start, nobody is at risk of dying because of bonoā€™s low tax bill.

Secondly, the government is well able to structure its legislation and fiscal policy to attain appropriate tax contributions (ie increase the tax rate, close a loophole); the third world countries do not have the power to write off their own debt

yes, by fullfilling his obligation, which we agree is legal in nature.

Can you build an urgent moral case for bono contributing tax revenue to the irish government? You see thats where there is a difference I believe, because bono can build an urgent moral case for writing the debt off. In both situations there is no LEGAL obligation, but in the latter there is a moral obligation

If you can build an urgent moral case for bono to contribite more tax to Ireland than his is lagally obliged to, I will accept defeat

(Apologies for the formatting errors)

This is all irrelevant bullshit.

At the centre of this argument (canā€™t believe that we are still having it) is Bono. I repeat again. He is asking the governments to do something which he will not do. In principle there is no difference between giving to Ireland and the Third World. In principle he is a hypocrite.

I never agreed that. Nor did Farmer.

Youā€™re plainly ignoring the relationship between the two factors. As I said in my last post if everyone had Bonoā€™s attitude then the world would be fucked. There would be no hope for ever improving the lot of those less wealthy because nobody is sharing their money in a structured manner.

I donā€™t know the exact relationship between tax income and government aid but it wouldnā€™t take a lot to make the conclusion that by opting not to give the Irish government any money then Bono is indeed reneging on a moral oblgation which ultimately costs lives.

Secondly this isnā€™t about whether he should pay taxes as an individual or not - he doesnā€™t and I disagree with him on that and like Farmer if I was as wealthy as Bono Iā€™d make sure that my government got the same share from me that theyā€™re taking from people who canā€™t afford to pay it.

What this is really about is a guy indulging himself with a moral crusade. In that context does Bono have a moral obligation to act as he preaches? Absolutely so. Is he asking the rest of us to cover for him? Yes he is. So where does he get off telling us what to do with the money that the rest of us put in.

As I was saying earlier and as you summarised for me, Bono is not a stakeholder in the Irish government - the rest of us taxpayers are. He has ample opportunity to contribute and he has decided to opt out. Well opt the fuck out of everything else then ya prick.

It is not irrelevant bull, it highlights the differences between two things which you are saying is the same.

As i said to rock, the difference is this:

NO LEGAL OBLIGATION IN EITHER INSTANCE, BUT THERE IS AN URGENT MORAL OBLIGATION TO WRITE OFF THE DEBT. I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THERE IS AN URGENT MORAL OBLIGATION FOR BONO TO CONTRIBUTE MORE TAX TO IRELAND THAN HE LEGALLY HAS TO.

Like i said to rock i will accept defeat if someone builds this case, otherwise that is the difference i see between the two situations