Boxing Thread

This is going to be a cracker.

Now that the EPL soccer is finished, would it not make commercial sense for RTE to put together a highlights show from the amateur boxing European Championships, considering it features Barnes, Conlan, Nolan, Nevin, Ward et al?

That would make too much sense Thrawneen. And would require someone in RTE to consider boxing in a manner different to their patronising ah look at Katie Taylor/“Francie” Barrett aren’t they a topper outlook.

RTE are doing live streaming of the European Championship semi-finals now. Paddy Barnes starting now, Nevin I think in the fight after that, and Jason Quigley soon after that. Conlan fighting at 5:15.

http://www.rte.ie/live/

[quote=“Sidney, post: 782584, member: 183”]RTE are doing live streaming of the European Championship semi-finals now. Paddy Barnes starting now, Nevin I think in the fight after that, and Jason Quigley soon after that. Conlan fighting at 5:15.

http://www.rte.ie/live/[/quote]

Nice wan Sidders

Barnes has just beaten a fighter from Azerbaijan 30-27.

Nevin beats a Russian 29-28. I hadn’t seen any of this tournament up to now and didn’t know they were using the professional scoring system of scoring by who wins each round, which I’ve never seen before in amateur boxing.

Is it just the ref scoring yeah?

Three judges score the bout, like in professional boxing. The scores are still publicly announced at the end of each round but it means that if a boxer wins the first two rounds, his opponent basically just has to stay on his feet in the third round to win. That’s what happened in the Nevin fight today, where he won the first two rounds and lost the last but knew he had it anyway.

I didn’t see Jason Quigley fight just now but he’s beaten former world champion Ievgen Khytrov of Ukraine to make it a clean sweep for the Irish lads this afternoon. :clap:

[quote=“Sidney, post: 782667, member: 183”]Three judges score the bout, like in professional boxing. The scores are still publicly announced at the end of each round but it means that if a boxer wins the first two rounds, his opponent basically just has to stay on his feet in the third round to win. That’s what happened in the Nevin fight today, where he won the first two rounds and lost the last but knew he had it anyway.

I didn’t see Jason Quigley fight just now but he’s beaten former world champion Ievgen Khytrov of Ukraine to make it a clean sweep for the Irish lads this afternoon. :clap:[/quote]
Super stuff. I heard some reference to the referee doing the scoring on RTE earlier but wasn’t sure whether that was actually correct or not. I thank you for your answer and will rate your post as “informative” later.

Kytrov is actually the current world champion, not the former one. Super stuff indeed from Quigley.

Jesus that’s unbelieveably poor phrasing.

Our boxers are amazing. I feel alot of pride because of those lads.

Such professionalism and consistency. Wonderful.

That’s the way all amateur fights were scored up till 94 I think but for big fights like the all Ireland’s it was 5 judges,super stuff again by the boxers Nicholas Cruz deserves a lot of credit today for the way the IABA operate

Conlon won too. All four fighting for gold tomorrow on tv

Up against it fighting selby in the final who is a real class act. Hope conlon does well against him, I really like conlon, he has a nice style and braveness about him and comes across as a nice guy. Hope he manages to pressure selby who is so hard to track down and hit.

The only downside for Conlan is that he couldn’t see his beloved Ireland play this evening. I saw him outside Coppers after the Germany match and in Flannery’s after the 2-2 draw with Austria.

He’s one of our own sid

Barnes is out of the final after failing a medical test with a broken nose. He broke it in his first fight and had been bluffing the doctors but they made him get an xray before the final. What a hero!

Is this the irish doctors or tournament doctors?

It’s a bit bizarre, he’s fighting for a gold medal, I can’t believe they are pulling him if its the Irish team. Should be up to him.

Fucking insurance companies. Ruining sport.