Boxing Thread

Cotto has alot of miles on the clock at this stage,canelo should be too strong down the stretch i would have thought for him,Cotto has done well to keep going since Pacquaio gave him the beating of a lifetime i really thought he was finished after that

Cotto is in the form of his career. Fighting at a weight level that suits him and his experience will be the key here. It’s better he has got with age.

I’m not so sure the weight suits him. The only young JMW he’s faced is Trout who beat him easily. Canelo will be his first fight above 147 against a prime, aggressive opponent. Almost everyone else has been old or shot.

If he beats Canelo it will do a lot for his legacy. It would arguably be the most important win of his entire career.

The WBC has just stripped Cotto of the middleweight title :joy:

http://www.wbcboxing.com/wbceng/news/5730-the-wbc-withdraws-recognition-of-miguel-cotto-as-wbc-middleweight-world-champion

Cotto 153.5
Canelo 155

1 Like

No problem with the weight for cotto,I’d be interested to see the weights tomorrow night

Canelo will be around 170 I imagine. Cotto 165 or so. I thought he’d come in heavier tonight.

I have whacked a fair amount on Canelo at 2/5 it will make or break me heading in the festive period. CMAAAAAAAAN

1 Like

Brave but I think you’re right.

Canelo is overhyped beyond belief.

Cotto will win this covincingly on the scorecards for me, he is a more measured, more intelligent fighter. Canelo struggles against good boxers, outclassed against Mayweather, iffy decision against Lara.

What wins really standout on his record? Mosley? Well past his prime in his 40s. Trout? Angulo? Kirkland? Meh.

People are reading into a lot in Canelo’s size, age and speed but ignore the fight that his pedigree is relatively untested, why wasn’t Lara given a rematch? He has an awful lot left to prove and tonight I intend to make some money out of the generous odds on Cotto.

Ironically a win against a 36 year old Mosley is still the high point of Cotto’s career.

There are question marks over Canelo for sure. Don’t think it’s massively overhyping him to say he can beat Cotto. Remarkably Austin Trout is still the only prime, healthy fighter Cotto has faced above 147 and he beat Cotto comfortably.

1 Like

Prime and healthy fighter is a bit of a push. How many times had Martinez successfully defended his title before he fought Cotto?

A 36 year Mosley was still one of the top p4p boxers in the world.

Don’t know @Nembo_Kid, Canelo looked bad against Mayweather but Floyd has a way of doing that to a lot of boxers.

Cotto last three fights under Freddie Roach and since losing to Trout, have been Daniel Geale, aint great, Darren Barker had beaten him. Martinez, he was past his best by then, in his previous fights, Murray had gone the distant him, he beat Chavez who was/is the most overrated boxer, Macklin went 11 rounds as did Barker before him …Rodriguez meh!

Cotto has some power but Canelo is 10 years younger. Its four years since Cotto beat Margarito, and against Canelo he has to be smart and tactical. I think Freddie Roach is a super trainer, always has his fighters in super condition and their head right but I don’t think he’s a great tactician.

I think Canelo will have too much for him…but I wont be having a bet tonight.

1 Like

I agree on Roach but Canelo looks one dimensional and he’s heavy foot. Cotto is much lighter on his feet and moves much better, I think he’ll able to use his superior footwork to get his left hook to work and I don’t believe Cantlow has it in his locker to adjust for that in the fight. He’ll look to wear his opponent down but Cotto will not only be frustrating him but hurting him as well.

Very interesting fight and I’m immensely looking forward to it.

Cotto has to be light on his feet and have fast hands for 12 rounds though, that’s going to be very hard, one for a 35 year old against a tough boxer ten years younger than him and two with the crowd and atmosphere that these two boxers will bring. Should be a cracker.

Crolla on Sky later as well. Was robbed the last night but I think that might have been his chance. Perez was shite that night, cant see him box as bad again tonight.

put me down for some personal for next saturday mate

Why is a few bourbons not enough for you?

im self medicating to the dull the pain of life in suberbia

This is the 5000th post on this thread

3 Likes

Cotto has never been in a boring fight. He even managed to make the Mayweather fight entertaining which can’t be said for Canelo.

There’s a big opportunity for Cotto in the fact that Canelo is not a great pressure fighter and he will give Cotto space too breath. A lot depends on how aggressive Cotto chooses to be as a result of that. I think he would be better off picking his moments but that goes against the grain of how he’s fought under Roach.