Bradford Stadium Fire Disaster

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 1124078, member: 1”]This seems more than a coincidence:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/15/bradford-fire-stafford-heginbotham-martin-fletcher

Revealed: former Bradford chairman linked to at least eight fires before Valley Parade disaster
The blaze that killed 56 football fans at Bradford City’s Valley Parade ground in 1985 was just one of at least nine fires at businesses owned by or associated with the club’s then chairman, according to extraordinary evidence published for the first time.

The revelations are contained in a book written by Martin Fletcher, a Bradford fan who lost three generations of his family in the stadium fire. Fletcher believes the fire was not an accident and says he and his family are no longer willing to “live the myth”.

Fletcher managed to escape after the timber main stand at Valley Parade turned into a death trap during Bradford’s game against Lincoln City on 11 May 1985[/URL]. His brother, Andrew, 11, was the youngest victim and his father John, 34, uncle Peter, 32, and grandfather Eddie, 63, all perished. Martin Fletcher, who was 12 at the time, has spent the past 15 years investigating what happened and his book, [URL=‘http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fifty-Six-The-Story-Bradford-Fire/dp/1472920163’]Fifty-Six – The Story of the Bradford Fire, is published on Thursday 16 April.

The book, serialised by the Guardian today and tomorrow, reveals there had been at least eight other fires at business premises either owned by, or connected to, Stafford Heginbotham, Bradford’s then-chairman, in the previous 18 years, resulting in huge insurance claims. Fletcher does not make any direct allegations but he does believe Heginbotham’s history with fires, resulting in payouts of around £27m in today’s terms, warranted further investigation. “Could any man really be as unlucky as Heginbotham had been?” he asks.

The disaster at Valley Parade came at a time, according to Fletcher’s evidence, when the businessman was in desperate financial trouble, unable to pay his workforce beyond that month. Heginbotham had learned two days before the fire it would cost £2m to bring the ground up to safety standards required by Bradford’s promotion from the old Third Division that season. Yet this has never been reported and did not feature in the Popplewell Inquiry, chaired by the then high court judge Oliver Popplewell, which held its investigation only three weeks after the fire.

Bradford City chairman Stafford Heginbotham, left, with Mr Justice Popplewell, at Valley Parade after the disaster. Photograph: PA/PA Archive/Press Association Images
The inquiry heard only five days of testimony and concluded the fire was probably started by a match, a cigarette or pipe tobacco slipping through gaps in the floorboards on to litter that had built up over the previous 20 years. Fletcher does not accept that version and quotes a report by the Fire Research Station, a government-funded body, that “features of the Bradford fire required a detail of understanding greater than that presented to the formal inquiry”.

Fletcher’s evidence was collected through months of painstaking research into Heginbotham’s business history and by trawling 20 years of local newspaper reports into fires in the Bradford area.

The pattern began with a fire at a three-storey Bradford factory in May 1967 and continued on Good Friday 1968 with another fire at the premises of Genefoam, of which Heginbotham was the managing director. A firm Heginbotham had founded suffered a serious fire in 1970 before the Castle Mills building, owned by Heginbotham, had a fire in 1971. Further blazes followed at the Douglas Mills building, also owned by Heginbotham, in August and November 1977. In December that year there was a fire at the premises of Coronet Marketing, a subsidiary of Heginbotham’s Tebro Toys. A further fire at the Douglas Mills building occurred in June 1981.

http://static.guim.co.uk/ni/1429030568169/Bradford-fires-map-01.svg

Heginbotham died in 1995, aged 61, and was never prosecuted for the Valley Parade fire, despite the coroner later saying he had given serious consideration to bringing a charge of manslaughter. Bradford City had received three separate warnings about the potential fire risk, two from the Health and Safety Executive and another from the council, but did nothing. Fletcher’s book reveals how Heginbotham initially denied seeing the council’s letter before repeatedly changing his story when it became clear this was not true. The author has told the Guardian it was a “litany of lies”.

Of Heginbotham’s history with fires, Fletcher writes: “To quote a Los Angeles Police Department fire investigator in Blaze, the Forensics of Fire by Nicholas Faith: ‘It’s rare to have a coincidence. If we start having multiple coincidences then it’s not a coincidence.’ It is clear to me that at Bradford, with Stafford Heginbotham in charge, there was a mountain of coincidence.”

Once dubbed “the bravest boy in Britain”, Fletcher is the only survivor to publicly challenge the official inquiry, describing it as wholly inadequate and saying it took place far too close to the event. His family expected a fuller investigation to follow and he says his determination to find out “the truth” stems initially from a conversation with his mother, Susan, when he was 21.

“I never believed it was an accident and I never will,” she told him. “I don’t think Stafford intended for people to die. But people did. All because he went back to the one thing he knew best that would get him out of trouble.”

When Susan Fletcher brought a civil case against the club and West Yorkshire county council, meaning 110 bereaved or injured people would have their compensation claims met, she received a series of anonymous late-night telephone calls, including death threats against Martin, then 14, and the warning “nobody beats Bradford City”. The grieving mother and son temporarily had to move out of their house to live in a hotel. Martin was taken out of school until it was considered safe to return.

Fletcher’s book is released on 16 April, nine days before a minute’s silence is held at every Premier League and Football League match to mark the forthcoming 30th anniversary.

“I’m not living a lie any more,” Fletcher said. “I’m not living someone else’s half-truth. I’m not living the myth. Bradford City on the day of the fire were sponsored by the council and across the shirt the slogan was ‘Bradford myth-breakers’. Well, there are a lot of myths that need to be broken.”

[/QUOTE]

Astonishing piece.

Ireland gets a mention-yay!

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/bradford-fire-judge-dismisses-new-claims-about-disaster-1.2178164

The author is on OTB now.

suspicious timing, although there is no smoke without fire

RIP to all who died, an absolute tragedy, if you go to game you should be allowed go home

I fucking hate that fuckin saying

something very spooky around where the little monument otside valley parade (or the coral windows stadium), it is an absolute shithole of an area, up on the side of a hill, full of filthy towel heads

Judge Oliver Popplewell who headed the inquiry says that Fletcher’s story is nonsense as the stand which went on fire “had no insurance value”.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/16/oliver-popplewell-bradford-valley-parade-disaster

So why did the club receive a payout of ÂŁ988,000 if the stand had no insurance value? Sounds like the inquiry was flawed as fuck to me. That would hardly be a surprise given other high profile inquiries conducted by the British judicial system.

Popplewell has also made snide comments about the Hillsborough families and compared them unfavourably to the families of the Bradford victims. Know your place, and all that.

I watched a TV docu on the disaster on Youtube and came away fully convinced it was the 20-30build up of flammable rubbish under the stand that started it.

I’m not sure why I didn’t wonder why it didn’t happen sooner though if a dropped cigarette was blamed?

The footage is absolutely harrowing at times.

8 fires is no coincidence.

Heard a repeat of that on Friday,fuckin harrowing stuff

[QUOTE=“Thrawneen, post: 1125004, member: 129”]I watched a TV docu on the disaster on Youtube and came away fully convinced it was the 20-30build up of flammable rubbish under the stand that started it.

I’m not sure why I didn’t wonder why it didn’t happen sooner though if a dropped cigarette was blamed?

The footage is absolutely harrowing at times.[/QUOTE]the poor auld lad in the sheepskin coat and they all trying to put the fire out on him, frightening, he never made it I was reading afterwards

Really good interview by Daniel Taylor with Popplewell in the Guardian today:

Martin Fletcher’s book about the Bradford City fire has created worldwide headlines because of its revelation that there had been at least eight previous fires[/URL] at business premises either owned or connected to the then chairman, Stafford Heginbotham. Fletcher, who was 12 at the time, escaped from the fire but his 11-year-old brother was the youngest victim and his father, his uncle and his grandfather were among the 56 to die at Valley Parade on 11 May 1985. The author [URL=‘http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/15/bradford-fire-martin-fletcher-stafford-heginbotham’]has spent 15 years researching the fire[/URL] and is critical of[URL=‘http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/16/bradford-fire-andy-burnham-calls-for-fresh-investigation’] the inquiry led by the then high court judge, Sir Oliver Popplewell, which featured only five days of testimony. Popplewell describes Heginbotham’s fire history as highly suspicious but believes another investigation will show nothing sinister. He invited Daniel Taylor to his London chambers.

Daniel Taylor The book shows this is the chairman’s ninth or 10th fire, and I saw you quoted saying that merited an investigation.

Sir Oliver Popplewell Of course it should have been investigated, but when you analyse it if there had been anything sinister about it, eight or nine fires, the police would have investigated. Fire officers are very sceptical – I’ve been involved in a lot of fire insurance cases – if there had been anything sinister and, above all, Heginbotham’s insurers wouldn’t have insured the various buildings if they weren’t satisfied there was nothing in it. And there is nothing in it.

DT For it not to be part of the inquiry, strikes me as remarkable. If that evidence was withheld.

OP It wasn’t ‘withheld’. No one told us about it. The police got all the evidence together. We don’t have the power to go around gathering evidence. The police did. No one suggested this. Nobody wrote in, neither the police nor the fire authorities nor the insurers.

DT It’s an incredible number.

OP I follow. It is incredible. But then you have to ask: ‘How did he set fire to the club? What did he set fire to?’ The place was absolutely jam-packed full. The biggest crowd they’ve had. The fire starts five minutes after half-time when the stand is full of 4,000 people. Now, if you are going to have a fire, you don’t do it when the place is packed.

DT To clarify, though, the author doesn’t ever point a finger directly like that.

OP No, but if you [the author] say it is not an accident …

DT What he says is: can any man in the world be that unlucky?

OP I follow that. It is a perfectly proper question. But the answer is: it’s contrary to all the evidence of the time and it doesn’t make any sense.

DT One of the things I heard you say … it got picked up everywhere because your voice is a very powerful voice and people obviously see you as the authority on this subject … you said on radio that it was a ‘good story’ but immediately falls down because the stand had no insurance value.

OP Yes.

DT That’s wrong though.

OP It doesn’t have any insurance value.

DT It did.

OP Well, I don’t know why they paid out.

DT They did though. The club received ÂŁ500,000 in insurance.

OP From insurance? Football insurance? Or his owner, stand insurance? I’d like to know because it doesn’t make any sense. It had half an hour’s life. No insurance company is going to pay out on something that was going to have only half an hour’s life. Anyway, that’s a point. But the truth is there still wasn’t a single piece of evidence that suggested this was arson.

DT Nigel Adams, one of the leading fire investigators in the country, has said that in 1985 fire forensics were pretty much non-existent and investigators were known as “dust kickers”. He says there has to be another look at this. When someone of that authority says it …

OP Well, we had fire experts at the time but there is nothing to look at now. There isn’t any material now.

DT He clearly thinks there is something to look at.

OP Well, I just don’t know … we had fire evidence from distinguished people. I had a chief fire officer as one of my assessors. We went to the Home Office and they had fire people there. It never occurred to anybody this was arson. There was not a single sign of anything indicating arson. Basically, most arsonists leave some clue, however small. They didn’t.

DT One of the author’s complaints is that the inquiry went too quickly. The inquiry (testimony) lasted as long as the John Terry court case, for example. Five days.

P[I]opplewell is shown a police document, dated 2 May 1989[/I], after a meeting involving senior officers from the West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire and Humberside forces to discuss, post-Hillsborough, how the Bradford inquiry was conducted

DT It’s a memo from Superintendent Nettleship from South Yorkshire saying [it was agreed] there was a “severe pruning” of [witness] evidence.

OP What part did he play in Bradford?

DT The Bradford tribunal is described as a seat of the pants affair and quite informal.

OP Was he there? It was quite informal. It was a very serious matter and we wanted to make people feel at ease. But it was conducted perfectly properly and it was tested, the work. Witnesses were cross-examined.

DT So when he says there was a severe pruning …

OP Well, we cut out stuff that was irrelevant. There was a chap from some newspaper who said he had seen something thrown … a bomb thrown, a smoke-bomb.

The then Bradford City chairman, Stafford Heginbotham, left, with Oliver Popplewell, at the time a high court judge, at Valley Parade in 1985. Photograph: Pa/PA Archive/Press Association Images
DT Do you know that wasn’t a newspaper person who said that [first]? It was Stafford Heginbotham. He went on television while the fire was still going on in the background and it was him who sowed the seed that someone had thrown a smokebomb.

OP We had a journalist who came along.

DT I’m sure a journalist did say it afterwards, but that was because the chairman had gone on television and said it.

OP The journalist said he saw it.

DT Actually saw it being thrown?

OP Yes, he said he saw it going through the air … it was rubbish.

DT Andy Burnham [the shadow health secretary] said he thought the inquiry had been conducted with undue haste.

OP Well, what other conclusion are you asked to draw?

DT That’s why I would have thought you would have read the book in full. A newspaper serialisation of a 90,000-word book only gives you a certain amount …

OP It gave a sufficient picture to me that he was saying Heginbotham set fire to it.

DT What he asks is this is a ‘mountain of coincidence’ – do you know anyone in the world who has ever had two major fires, never mind nine?

OP I follow all that, I follow all that, but it doesn’t stand up when you analyse it (pause) … it sounds very suspicious.

DT It was never investigated, was it?

OP I’ve already explained. If the police at the time, and the fire authorities, and his insurers, were perfectly happy about these fires and there was nothing at the scene to indicate this was arson. Everything pointed to it happening in whatever row it was. Have you seen the video? It shows a small flame coming out through [the stand] as being the scene of the fire. Well, how did that happen? How do you put arson into that context? A bit of sense … how did Mr Heginbotham organise a little fire which could have been put out if someone had been alert enough with a fire extinguisher? It makes no sense, absolutely no sense at all, that’s why I say it’s nonsense.

DT Did you see the interview with a detective, Ray Falconer, [in the Bradford Telegraph & Argus] who said he had gone to speak personally to a man [from Australia] who said it was his cigarette that started it?

OP I saw that somewhere, but we didn’t have that evidence. I’m fairly sure we didn’t. I mean, if that is right, it is even more conclusive.

DT The Bradford Telegraph and Argus described him as a ‘top detective’. He was actually one of the detectives involved in one of the gravest miscarriages of justices in the country, the Carol Wilkinson murder in Bradford, where someone was locked up for 20 years for a murder he didn’t commit.

OP Oh, right.

DT The book says one of the key-holders was told about the fire and told to unlock the doors at 3.30pm, which is before the fire happened. That leaves the question: how was someone told before it happened and told to unlock the doors?

OP The doors were locked. Whether they were all locked we don’t know, because some people undoubtedly got out. It doesn’t mean anything.

DT It strikes me as incredibly strange.

(no reply)

DT No?

(no reply)

DT The book also says three of the four doors were unlocked yet the policy at Bradford at that time, in keeping with the rest of football, was that gates weren’t unlocked until, say, 10 minutes before the end. There is an entire chapter about this unanswered question of why on this day, never before, were they unlocked at that time?

OP Part of the problem at Bradford was the doors went on to the roadway and people used to walk in. But what happened on previous occasions, I’ve no idea. Nobody suggested anything untoward that day. No steward came forward. No member of the public came forward. I mean, they interviewed hundreds of witnesses and nothing suspicious was thrown up.

DT There’s also a great focus in the book [from the inquiry] about a lot of people commenting during the first half about a very strong, acrid plastic smell. There were people on their hands and knees trying to find out what it was. Someone asked a guy who was smoking a pipe what he was smoking. The author says it was left. In his words, it was ignored.

OP None of that evidence was presented.

DT But it’s a great piece of the testimony. It forms part of the [inquiry] papers.

OP Not to my knowledge, it doesn’t. I don’t remember any suggestion of there being any smell. My recollection may be quite wrong because it is 30 years ago but I don’t remember a suggestion of there being a smell. The first notification anybody ever had of this fire starting was a small wisp of smoke coming up, which you can see on the video.

who said Heginbotham’s nickname was ‘Central Heating.’ A phrase at the company where Martin Fletcher’s mother worked was if Stafford has a problem it ‘gets torched’ and there’s a fireman quoted in the book who says that when they were on fire strike they knew the first fire would be Stafford Heginbotham’s.

OP Well, it’s surprising that all these people remained totally silent for 30 years. The truth is if there had been anything sinister he would never have got any insurance.

DT What would be your advice to the author?

B[I]efore the interview, Popplewell had sent a letter to the Guardian[/I]

DT Your letter to the Guardian calls Bradford’s ground ‘Villa Parade’

OP Valley Parade – I’ve corrected it since …

DT The letter also says – and I think you said the same earlier when talking to me – that the fire started after half-time.

OP Yes.

DT But it didn’t. It started at 3.40pm and took hold at 3.42pm.

OP I thought they had just got into the second half … actually, at half-time.

DT I don’t mean to sound impudent but it was 3.40pm. Your commenting [on Fletcher’s book] and your voice, as I said earlier, carries great power … but just basic facts. I’m not sure Mr Heginbotham ever said ‘this is all my fault’ either.

OP Yes, he did. At the inquiry he put his hand up and said: ‘I accept responsibility.’

DT Well, on this point, it wasn’t after half-time.

OP It wasn’t before half-time.

DT It was.

OP Well, I am surprised, but there we are. If that’s [correct] … I will change it to ‘at or about half-time’.

DT My point was, I would have expected you to know that automatically.

OP Oh, come on.

DT It’s a pretty major fact, surely.

OP No, why?

DT I just thought you would know the timings of when it was.

OP Well, it’s just my mistaken recollection. I thought it was just after half-time. It was always that there was only another 40 minutes to play before the thing was being pulled down.

DT The criticism, have you been stung by it?

OP I don’t mind somebody saying ‘I don’t agree’ but to suggest we were hopeless and attack the integrity of the inquiry, I do resent. I’m used to being criticised. There are slings and arrows, which one takes normally. But nobody has explained how Heginbotham arranged the fire at the time that he did. What is the explanation? What is the suggestion – that someone deliberately threw a match down?

DT In today’s age would an inquiry like this last a lot longer?

OP It all depends on the evidence. You can have an inquiry like the Saville inquiry [Bloody Sunday] that goes on for five years. It all depends what you are investigating. The public evidence took a comparatively short time but we then did some more. It never occurred to us we were unduly hasty. We obviously wanted to get on with it, partly because the people of Bradford needed to be assured how this happened and secondly to try to prevent it happening again.

DT You say there should be an investigation into Heginbotham’s other fires.

OP Only because of the speculation.

DT Have you contacted anyone about this?

OP No … people have been asking me: ‘Do you think it is sensible?’ Of course it is sensible because it will put people’s minds at rest. Frankly, if nobody thought, during that period of eight or nine fires, that there was anything sinister I don’t suppose they will find anything now. They may do. I may be proved quite wrong but I should be absolutely astonished.

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 1130052, member: 1”]Really good interview by Daniel Taylor with Popplewell in the Guardian today:

Martin Fletcher’s book about the Bradford City fire has created worldwide headlines because of its revelation that there had been at least eight previous fires[/URL] at business premises either owned or connected to the then chairman, Stafford Heginbotham. Fletcher, who was 12 at the time, escaped from the fire but his 11-year-old brother was the youngest victim and his father, his uncle and his grandfather were among the 56 to die at Valley Parade on 11 May 1985. The author [URL=‘http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/15/bradford-fire-martin-fletcher-stafford-heginbotham’]has spent 15 years researching the fire[/URL] and is critical of[URL=‘http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/16/bradford-fire-andy-burnham-calls-for-fresh-investigation’] the inquiry led by the then high court judge, Sir Oliver Popplewell, which featured only five days of testimony. Popplewell describes Heginbotham’s fire history as highly suspicious but believes another investigation will show nothing sinister. He invited Daniel Taylor to his London chambers.

Daniel Taylor The book shows this is the chairman’s ninth or 10th fire, and I saw you quoted saying that merited an investigation.

Sir Oliver Popplewell Of course it should have been investigated, but when you analyse it if there had been anything sinister about it, eight or nine fires, the police would have investigated. Fire officers are very sceptical – I’ve been involved in a lot of fire insurance cases – if there had been anything sinister and, above all, Heginbotham’s insurers wouldn’t have insured the various buildings if they weren’t satisfied there was nothing in it. And there is nothing in it.

DT For it not to be part of the inquiry, strikes me as remarkable. If that evidence was withheld.

OP It wasn’t ‘withheld’. No one told us about it. The police got all the evidence together. We don’t have the power to go around gathering evidence. The police did. No one suggested this. Nobody wrote in, neither the police nor the fire authorities nor the insurers.

DT It’s an incredible number.

OP I follow. It is incredible. But then you have to ask: ‘How did he set fire to the club? What did he set fire to?’ The place was absolutely jam-packed full. The biggest crowd they’ve had. The fire starts five minutes after half-time when the stand is full of 4,000 people. Now, if you are going to have a fire, you don’t do it when the place is packed.

DT To clarify, though, the author doesn’t ever point a finger directly like that.

OP No, but if you [the author] say it is not an accident …

DT What he says is: can any man in the world be that unlucky?

OP I follow that. It is a perfectly proper question. But the answer is: it’s contrary to all the evidence of the time and it doesn’t make any sense.

DT One of the things I heard you say … it got picked up everywhere because your voice is a very powerful voice and people obviously see you as the authority on this subject … you said on radio that it was a ‘good story’ but immediately falls down because the stand had no insurance value.

OP Yes.

DT That’s wrong though.

OP It doesn’t have any insurance value.

DT It did.

OP Well, I don’t know why they paid out.

DT They did though. The club received ÂŁ500,000 in insurance.

OP From insurance? Football insurance? Or his owner, stand insurance? I’d like to know because it doesn’t make any sense. It had half an hour’s life. No insurance company is going to pay out on something that was going to have only half an hour’s life. Anyway, that’s a point. But the truth is there still wasn’t a single piece of evidence that suggested this was arson.

DT Nigel Adams, one of the leading fire investigators in the country, has said that in 1985 fire forensics were pretty much non-existent and investigators were known as “dust kickers”. He says there has to be another look at this. When someone of that authority says it …

OP Well, we had fire experts at the time but there is nothing to look at now. There isn’t any material now.

DT He clearly thinks there is something to look at.

OP Well, I just don’t know … we had fire evidence from distinguished people. I had a chief fire officer as one of my assessors. We went to the Home Office and they had fire people there. It never occurred to anybody this was arson. There was not a single sign of anything indicating arson. Basically, most arsonists leave some clue, however small. They didn’t.

DT One of the author’s complaints is that the inquiry went too quickly. The inquiry (testimony) lasted as long as the John Terry court case, for example. Five days.

P[I]opplewell is shown a police document, dated 2 May 1989[/I], after a meeting involving senior officers from the West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire and Humberside forces to discuss, post-Hillsborough, how the Bradford inquiry was conducted

DT It’s a memo from Superintendent Nettleship from South Yorkshire saying [it was agreed] there was a “severe pruning” of [witness] evidence.

OP What part did he play in Bradford?

DT The Bradford tribunal is described as a seat of the pants affair and quite informal.

OP Was he there? It was quite informal. It was a very serious matter and we wanted to make people feel at ease. But it was conducted perfectly properly and it was tested, the work. Witnesses were cross-examined.

DT So when he says there was a severe pruning …

OP Well, we cut out stuff that was irrelevant. There was a chap from some newspaper who said he had seen something thrown … a bomb thrown, a smoke-bomb.

The then Bradford City chairman, Stafford Heginbotham, left, with Oliver Popplewell, at the time a high court judge, at Valley Parade in 1985. Photograph: Pa/PA Archive/Press Association Images
DT Do you know that wasn’t a newspaper person who said that [first]? It was Stafford Heginbotham. He went on television while the fire was still going on in the background and it was him who sowed the seed that someone had thrown a smokebomb.

OP We had a journalist who came along.

DT I’m sure a journalist did say it afterwards, but that was because the chairman had gone on television and said it.

OP The journalist said he saw it.

DT Actually saw it being thrown?

OP Yes, he said he saw it going through the air … it was rubbish.

DT Andy Burnham [the shadow health secretary] said he thought the inquiry had been conducted with undue haste.

OP Well, what other conclusion are you asked to draw?

DT That’s why I would have thought you would have read the book in full. A newspaper serialisation of a 90,000-word book only gives you a certain amount …

OP It gave a sufficient picture to me that he was saying Heginbotham set fire to it.

DT What he asks is this is a ‘mountain of coincidence’ – do you know anyone in the world who has ever had two major fires, never mind nine?

OP I follow all that, I follow all that, but it doesn’t stand up when you analyse it (pause) … it sounds very suspicious.

DT It was never investigated, was it?

OP I’ve already explained. If the police at the time, and the fire authorities, and his insurers, were perfectly happy about these fires and there was nothing at the scene to indicate this was arson. Everything pointed to it happening in whatever row it was. Have you seen the video? It shows a small flame coming out through [the stand] as being the scene of the fire. Well, how did that happen? How do you put arson into that context? A bit of sense … how did Mr Heginbotham organise a little fire which could have been put out if someone had been alert enough with a fire extinguisher? It makes no sense, absolutely no sense at all, that’s why I say it’s nonsense.

DT Did you see the interview with a detective, Ray Falconer, [in the Bradford Telegraph & Argus] who said he had gone to speak personally to a man [from Australia] who said it was his cigarette that started it?

OP I saw that somewhere, but we didn’t have that evidence. I’m fairly sure we didn’t. I mean, if that is right, it is even more conclusive.

DT The Bradford Telegraph and Argus described him as a ‘top detective’. He was actually one of the detectives involved in one of the gravest miscarriages of justices in the country, the Carol Wilkinson murder in Bradford, where someone was locked up for 20 years for a murder he didn’t commit.

OP Oh, right.

DT The book says one of the key-holders was told about the fire and told to unlock the doors at 3.30pm, which is before the fire happened. That leaves the question: how was someone told before it happened and told to unlock the doors?

OP The doors were locked. Whether they were all locked we don’t know, because some people undoubtedly got out. It doesn’t mean anything.

DT It strikes me as incredibly strange.

(no reply)

DT No?

(no reply)

DT The book also says three of the four doors were unlocked yet the policy at Bradford at that time, in keeping with the rest of football, was that gates weren’t unlocked until, say, 10 minutes before the end. There is an entire chapter about this unanswered question of why on this day, never before, were they unlocked at that time?

OP Part of the problem at Bradford was the doors went on to the roadway and people used to walk in. But what happened on previous occasions, I’ve no idea. Nobody suggested anything untoward that day. No steward came forward. No member of the public came forward. I mean, they interviewed hundreds of witnesses and nothing suspicious was thrown up.

DT There’s also a great focus in the book [from the inquiry] about a lot of people commenting during the first half about a very strong, acrid plastic smell. There were people on their hands and knees trying to find out what it was. Someone asked a guy who was smoking a pipe what he was smoking. The author says it was left. In his words, it was ignored.

OP None of that evidence was presented.

DT But it’s a great piece of the testimony. It forms part of the [inquiry] papers.

OP Not to my knowledge, it doesn’t. I don’t remember any suggestion of there being any smell. My recollection may be quite wrong because it is 30 years ago but I don’t remember a suggestion of there being a smell. The first notification anybody ever had of this fire starting was a small wisp of smoke coming up, which you can see on the video.

who said Heginbotham’s nickname was ‘Central Heating.’ A phrase at the company where Martin Fletcher’s mother worked was if Stafford has a problem it ‘gets torched’ and there’s a fireman quoted in the book who says that when they were on fire strike they knew the first fire would be Stafford Heginbotham’s.

OP Well, it’s surprising that all these people remained totally silent for 30 years. The truth is if there had been anything sinister he would never have got any insurance.

DT What would be your advice to the author?

B[I]efore the interview, Popplewell had sent a letter to the Guardian[/I]

DT Your letter to the Guardian calls Bradford’s ground ‘Villa Parade’

OP Valley Parade – I’ve corrected it since …

DT The letter also says – and I think you said the same earlier when talking to me – that the fire started after half-time.

OP Yes.

DT But it didn’t. It started at 3.40pm and took hold at 3.42pm.

OP I thought they had just got into the second half … actually, at half-time.

DT I don’t mean to sound impudent but it was 3.40pm. Your commenting [on Fletcher’s book] and your voice, as I said earlier, carries great power … but just basic facts. I’m not sure Mr Heginbotham ever said ‘this is all my fault’ either.

OP Yes, he did. At the inquiry he put his hand up and said: ‘I accept responsibility.’

DT Well, on this point, it wasn’t after half-time.

OP It wasn’t before half-time.

DT It was.

OP Well, I am surprised, but there we are. If that’s [correct] … I will change it to ‘at or about half-time’.

DT My point was, I would have expected you to know that automatically.

OP Oh, come on.

DT It’s a pretty major fact, surely.

OP No, why?

DT I just thought you would know the timings of when it was.

OP Well, it’s just my mistaken recollection. I thought it was just after half-time. It was always that there was only another 40 minutes to play before the thing was being pulled down.

DT The criticism, have you been stung by it?

OP I don’t mind somebody saying ‘I don’t agree’ but to suggest we were hopeless and attack the integrity of the inquiry, I do resent. I’m used to being criticised. There are slings and arrows, which one takes normally. But nobody has explained how Heginbotham arranged the fire at the time that he did. What is the explanation? What is the suggestion – that someone deliberately threw a match down?

DT In today’s age would an inquiry like this last a lot longer?

OP It all depends on the evidence. You can have an inquiry like the Saville inquiry [Bloody Sunday] that goes on for five years. It all depends what you are investigating. The public evidence took a comparatively short time but we then did some more. It never occurred to us we were unduly hasty. We obviously wanted to get on with it, partly because the people of Bradford needed to be assured how this happened and secondly to try to prevent it happening again.

DT You say there should be an investigation into Heginbotham’s other fires.

OP Only because of the speculation.

DT Have you contacted anyone about this?

OP No … people have been asking me: ‘Do you think it is sensible?’ Of course it is sensible because it will put people’s minds at rest. Frankly, if nobody thought, during that period of eight or nine fires, that there was anything sinister I don’t suppose they will find anything now. They may do. I may be proved quite wrong but I should be absolutely astonished.[/QUOTE]

Popplewell is very defensive the cunt

He’s probably about 100 at this stage and hardly remembers any of it.