Breheny's top 20 footballers of last 50 years

Well pointed out.

Do not get me wrong: those Dublin combinations were a great team. But they should not have won even three in a row. Dónie ‘Shoes’ Vaughan handed it to them in 2017, the utter clown. Here is what you get when you take Kieran Shannon as your head doctor.

2 Likes

Kerry 1997 was very soft.

And 2004.

1 Like

Tyrone are so flaky. They win a great all Ireland and absolutely collapse the following year. No backbone whatsoever. At least when Armagh won it in 02 they got to the final the year after, made a right stab at defending their throne. This year summed Tyrone football up to a tee

1 Like

And what is that reason?

Tyrone thrive on being the under dog. They need a cause or something to rage against.

When they are top dogs it’s very difficult to do this.

1 Like

I could be all wrong but on the Vaughan incident. I always wondered would the ref had bottled it and let the Dublin lad off but Vaughan just made it easy for him to send the two of them off.

DV’s carry on is the most brain dead thing I have ever seen happen in a top level football game, when you consider the stakes in question. The referee was clearly going to dismiss John Small – but then had absolutely no choice except to send off DV with him.

Beyond brain dead.

2 Likes

I find it very weird that somebody would blame Kieran Shannon, who was involved with Mayo from 2012 to 2014, for Donal Vaughan’s sending off in 2017.

1 Like

I’d have peak Linden well ahead of peak Spillane.

Peak Jack McCaffrey is one of the two best half backs to ever play the game. Lee Keegan is his only rival.

2 Likes

Keegans goal in 17 will never be forgotten but this was probably even better. Great football.

1 Like

Linden played corner forward, Spillane played wing forward.

Difficult to compare them.

Two of the best goals ever scored in All-Ireland finals. Both are top ten. Probably top five.

I think I prefer 2017 by the thickness of a Rizla, because of context, because the timing of Keegan’s run was so perfect because it was a surgical opening of the best team of all time by the team who have genuine claim to be the second best team of all time.

Find the comment weird away. No one asked you – especially since you clearly find it weird understanding that the years (and the football seasons) 2012 to 2014 came before the year (and the football seaon) 2017, not afterwards. The acorn produces the oak.

Stick to the Stickie revisionist shite. That stuff travels in nice neat little lines for the people who require nice neat little equivalences.

I find that comment even weirder.

O Se was savage in his day too

Those two lads transcended the half back position.

A bit like Cluxton as a keeper.

1 Like

Basically if it’s Mayo you beat in the final

Of course you do. You can process information but you cannot think.

The 21st century has been a true golden era for half backs. Keegan, McCaffrey, McCarthy, O’Se, I don’t think the 20h century produced anybody better than any of these four.

1 Like

Keegan scored another cracker in the 2016 replay.