BREXIT thread

This could be toxic for civic discourse.

2 Likes

This supposed “anti-anti-semitism” group is now destined to be known as “Funny Tinge”.

You couldn’t make it up.

Integra blah blah

1 Like
2 Likes

This is the biggest jobs disaster for Swindon since Wernham Hogg’s branch there was incorporated into the Slough branch.

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/FullBrexitNI/status/1097504054106865665

Project Fear.

1 Like

Funny Tinge don’t do transparency.

All joking aside that’s an absolute disaster for a place the size of swindon. Boris and the boys have a lot to answer for. Brexit will bring jobs to Britain but it’ll be in call centres outsourced by Indian companies the way things are going

I do like the term remainstream media I have to say. Top stuff

1 Like

A call centre in England? The most of them can’t even speak the language.

1 Like

There was a great/terrible program about a call centre in Wales at one stage. The boss was a bit of David Brent type character. Car crash TV

The day when Bangalore outsources a call centre to Bradford will be one that should be celebrated right across the former empire/commonwealth/whatever

3 Likes

Voice recognition technology is the way to go.

Fintan o Toole in fine form with his waffling today @Fagan_ODowd

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-the-english-love-of-eccentricity-has-turned-sour-1.3797907?mode=amp

I read that. Another load of bilge.

That’s a lovely article by Fintan.

I’d take the point further and suggest that “eccentricity” is something that is deliberately cultivated by reactionary right-wing populists and crypto-fascists in general.

But the British version usually depends on “charming eccentricity” of the type that Johnson, Rees-Mogg and Farage have perfected. Thatcher did it to an extent. The likes of Cecil Parkinson, Alan Clark and James Goldsmith as well. Speak “charmingly” and carry a big stick.

But wherever right-wing populism, crypto-fascism or outright fascism has thrived, it has usually depended on eccentricity and the cult of personalty.

Paisley, the Healy Raes, Mattie McGrath, Salvini, Wilders, Pim Fortuyn, Jean Marie Le Pen, Trump, Duterte, Bolsonaro, Mussolini, and some Austrian chap.

All of them deliberately cultivated their “eccentricity”, some more “charming” than others.

Authoritarianism of all shades has done it.

The “charming eccentric” is just a very English version of it.

Mattie McGrath :grinning:

1 Like

Fixed.