BREXIT thread

You couldn’t credit it sure. The Brits have no backbone when Fritz puts the boot down, no Yank or Russian in sight to bail them out this time.

John Bull has taken a right ol tonking.

1 Like

You’ve half the Conservative party sniping at May, resigning, threatening mutiny, holding dramatic midnight meetings etc etc.
Yet not one of them has the balls to stick their hand up and volunteer for the job. A bunch of lackeys

1 Like

I wonder if there is a nuance that is being missed here, if May and her team have played their (self-interested) hand a bit better than realized. If it becomes a choice between this deal and no deal, we are surely heading into general election/second referendum territory. How confident are the Brexiteers of winning a second vote? Not confident at all, behind the bluster. If they do not vote through this deal, the holy grail of Brexit may plunge back into the ocean of time.

Listened today to an Andrew Lilico interview. A high priest of Brexit, AL conceded that there would be a post-exit ‘hit’, economically, but that the downsides would right themselves around 2030. An advance on JR-M’s 50 year frame, fair enough – but 2030…

Imagine what hay could be made with such confidences from the Brexit side in the context of a second referendum. No more ‘350m a week windfall’ cant.

Michael Gove, twerp though he is, seems one of few to have pondered these hard realities. Then again, as long obvious, this whole process has been far more concerned with posturing about the Tory leadership than with the substantive issues at hand. Then yet again, the further truth is that many of the central players – DD, IDS, LF, AL, JR-M – are notably dim in intellectual terms.

3 Likes

Posturing is all we’ve seen. A disaster will provide bj and rm with a good enough landing strip- all May’s fault if it goes badly etc.
I’ll say two positive things about May.

1. She’s never uttered a positive utterance in favour of brexit.
  2. She had the wit to give herself a free reign and breathing space by surrounding herself with lackeys and halfwits.
2 Likes

Watching Newsnight last night there wasn’t one person in favour of the deal. None of them had read it of course. Labour won’t back it because they see this as their chance to force an election.

2 Likes

The Prime Minister needs the support of her Parliament to face down the threats of the Unionist Irishmen.

William Hague’s argument may win the day. Taking the Michael Collins line as in the deal isn’t the ultimate freedom but the freedom to achieve it. If this deals fails to get through Brexit may be over.
I think the pm just about has the numbers and the dup will be irrelevant

1 Like

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nt5nAEUpwU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3AQ-D_OnF-E

As the man says, you couldn’t like them if you reared them

I’d love to see those DUP micks royally shafted

I’m right with you tass

8 Likes

I dunno Corbs is secretly delighted with Brexit. If he wasn’t he’d have brought down the government and be in power already. I’d say it’s in the interest of both the Tories and Labour to get this through, buy themselves time and then bring down May and have an election in the new year.

It’s like a fella trying to rob a bank by holding a gun to his own head. It’s not in anyone’s interests for the man to shoot himself in the head, but no ones going to hand over the money to stop him either.

4 Likes

The Tories will want to hang on as long as they can. If they lose next year they could be out of office for a long time.

Ya to be fair to May she’s played this well. The Brexiteers are in a corner now. Either take some form of soft Brexit, though not exactly what they’d like, or end up with no Brexit at all which is becoming a real possibility.
May should walk if they fight her and let them try dealing with it themselves.

Brexit means Brexit

2 Likes

No deal is better than a bad deal.