British Loins Tour to New Zealand 2017 - Official Thread

Both incorrect!!

New Zealand have gone with four of the front five from Canterbury that the Lions front five destroyed in Christchurch last Saturday week. I imagine Gatty will go with a front five of the Saracens quartet and Campile on Saturday. Lions to win on Saturday on the back of forward dominance.

You going mate?

Was never going on Saturday. Second and possibly third test potentially.

Keep us updated

Arise Sir. Peter

1 Like

British Lions team to face New Zealand in the first test in Auckland on Saturday.

Starting XV
15 - L.B. Williams (Waunarlwydd, Scarlets & Wales)
14 - A.K.C. Watson (Bath & England)
13 - J.J.V. Davies (Llanelli, Scarlets & Wales)
12 - B.J. Teo (Worcester & England)
11 - E.F. Daly (Wasps & England)
10 - O.A. Farrell (Saracens & England)
9 - G.C. Murray (Garryowen, Munster & Ireland)
1 - M.W.I.W.N.A. Vunipola (Saracens & England)
2 - J.E. George (Saracens & England),
3 - T.P. Furlong (New Ross, Leinster & Ireland)
4 - A.W. Jones (Bonymaen, Ospreys & Wales)
5 - G.E.J. Kruis (Saracens & England)
6 - P.J. O’Mahony (Cork Constitution, Munster & Ireland) captain
7 - S.K. O’Brien (Tullow, Leinster & Ireland)
8 - T.T. Faletau (Bath & Wales)
Replacements
16 - K.J. Owens (Llanelli, Scarlets & Wales)
17 - J.C. McGrath (St Mary’s College, UCD & Ireland)
18 - K.N.J.S. Sinckler (Harlequins & England)
19 - O.M. Itoje (Saracens & England)
20 - S.K Warburton (Cardiff, Blues & Wales)
21 - R.Webb (Bridgend, Ospreys & Wales)
22 - J.J. Sexton (St Mary’s College, Leinster & Ireland)
23 - S.L. Halfpenny (Toulon & Wales)

1 Like

Teo :grinning:

Do the loins welcome women beaters

that XV has the look of a midweek group on “tour”…

Gatty is Gatty.

He’s thrown in a few right curve balls at New Zealand with his selections at full-back, left-wing three-quarters, and first lock, but I think a couple of them may curve so much that they come back to bite him on the ass.

Liam Williams played the full 80 minutes on Tuesday and it’s asking a lot of him to go again.

Elliot Daly played an hour and while he played very well I would have kept him in reserve with a view to him playing a part in the second test.

I see Gatty’s thinking, as Daly is an additional kicking option in the absence of Leigh Halfpenny from the starting line-up, but I disagree with it.

Halfpenny for me was a must as he’s the best clutch kicker in the world, and Farrell hasn’t been at his level in that regard so far on this tour.

I would have also stuck with George North as I believe he’s one of those players who always has the ability to kick into top form when most needed.

Itoje played his way in last Saturday and to me the selection of Alun Wyn Jones smacks of politics, especially with the captain being left out.

6 Likes

Jones is not the man to go for there. NZ are all speed and explosiveness. Jones is grand against the likes of toner. Not too sure about retallick and co. Henderson and lawes have far more upside. Itojo will be an English great alongside johnno.

I’d fear for POM too. A firing Stander would be huge. Warburton hasn’t exactly set the place alight.

Much as I like Peter O’Mahony, and I think his selection at blind side flanker is the correct one, I don’t believe a Southern Irisher should ever captain the British Loins, especially in New Zealand. History bears this out this view.

1 Like

Teo is playing senior hurling now. NZ by 24.

Won’t go there on the history front.

I think Gatland hedged his bets and didn’t go all out with his selection.

Te’o has played State of Origin for Queensland.

While it may not quite have the history, tradition and imperial, civilising mission ethos of a British Loins tour, it is very definitely, to use your metaphor, “senior hurling”.

I was ridiculed when I said AWJ would be a test starter. The rugby football experts asserted that he wouldn’t even make the squad but they didn’t reckon for my commentator’s eye.

That would be the equivalent of playing senior shinty

The shinty players generally beat their hurling opponents literally up a stick.

Many’s the Galway inter-county player who has travelled to Bught Park, Inverness cock of the walk and come away with their cough well and truly softened.

1 Like

If thats the case i certainly hope no dublin ‘hurlers’ ever go there

2 Likes