British Loins Tour to South Africa 2021 - Official Thread

The European Court of Justice is in Luxembourg.

Anyway, you said diplomatic mission, which is separate to a court case.

The last four tour captains to South Africa have all been second rows - Paul O’Connell in 2009, Johnno in 1997, Bill Beaumont in 1980 and Willie John McBride in 1974. Robin Thompson in 1955 as well.

There’s something about the high veld that demands a leader of high standing, both literally and metaphorically.

I can’t remember whether it was Tony Ward or perhaps John Robbie who said it, but one of them once described the feel, the smell, the dryness (outside of Durban and the other coastal cities at least), the thin air, the whole experience of a tour to South Africa as being unlike anywhere else, and more intoxicating than anything and anywhere else, almost like a drug. Once you go to South Africa to play rugby, you want to go back again and again and again.

Possibly John Robbie. Tony wouldn’t have played on the high veld. He was famously flown in for the first test in Cape Town in 1980 (after failing to make the original selection of 30) when both Ollie Campbell and Gareth Davies both had to cry off with illness and injury. Gareth Davies returned for the second test on the high veld in Bloemfontein and Ollie Campbell played the last two.

Robbie would make sense alright as he made his life in South Africa afterwards. The words stuck with me but not who said them, for some reason.

Regrettably the numbers of IRFU reps had plummeted.
Any thoughts on any potential bolters (bit early to me musing on this to be fair)

:hushed:

I don’t recall a sporting ocassion in a professional context like the 2009 lions tour where one team bullied the other so much… The first two tests especially… Whether the springboks were good enough or not was irrelevant, they just decided there was no way the lions were winning that series… They had the lions so badly rattled after the first test… A truly great sporting performance…

That’s not really how it went though.

They bullied the Lions in the first half of the first test. The Lions then came back and nearly won it.

Second test the Lions took the lead and then South Africa came back late. Fully accept if you were to say the Lions did a bottle job but it was really a to and fro couple of games.

Really it should have been 1-1 and gone to a decider. Pity it didn’t as those were two great games.

Give us a hug Shawsy

1 Like

Exactly They weren’t miles better than the lions at all… Sprigboks just physically battered them… The lions wouldn’t even go into their dressing room for a beer after as the were so rattled… Pure will to win was the difference… Or dare I say refuse to lose…

I think they had the edge physically but not to the degree you state. They were certainly more willing to play the dark arts.

Was this when schalke burger was ignored by the Southern hemisphere ref when attempting to remove the eyes of some scrawny lad?

O brien, sexton and Murray ruined by this rubbish in 2017. No wonder they can’t play well for irela nd, burned out.

Lions should have won the second test in Loftus Versfeld. Disastrous late cameo from ROG.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/lwlzbUtSrJw

the presentation of the selection is outstanding also adhering to correct naming convention and etiquette

Rog lost them the game

It’s different to our day Geoff, you can’t just copy and paste a players club from the previous tour. Sadly lovely Waunarlwydd will not be appearing in the 2019 teamsheet, with L.B. having moved to Saracens 2 years ago.

1 Like

who was a better player lads? Ward or Campbell?