Buffon - The greatest keeper of the last 25 years

The team he made his Serie A debut against

He kept a clean sheet.

5 Likes

What a fabulous human being . A credit himself , him parents , his club , his country and his sport .

I don’t remember Eranio.

I think he played for Derby County.as well . Fine player .

1 Like

Best remembered for being the fulcrum of a fine Genoa team circa 1990-1992. I think he scored the winner on the night at Anfield in the second leg of the UEFA Cup quarter-final in 1992.

Branco and Tomas Skuhravy were also on that team.

But Genoa were still comfortably the city’s second team compared to the brilliant Sampdoria team of the same time.

I still like Sampdoria. When my family visited the stadium in Genoa in 1993, it was locked up, but we got talking to a couple of ladies who worked at the stadium and when they heard we were from Ireland, they gave myself and brother a free pair of Sampdoria shorts from the cleaning room.

2 Likes

Gulit, Mancini, Platt, Lambardo, Jugovic, Amoruso (sic)

Gullit, Platt and Jugovic only signed for Sampdoria later on, circa 1993, and weren’t involved in the team that won the league and reached the European Cup final in 1992.

Mancini and Lombardo played in the league-winning team, along with Brazil’s Toninho Cerezo, Gianluca Vialli, Gianluca Pagliuca, Pietro Vierchowod and other less remembered Italian players like Beppe Dossena and Moreno Mannini, who both scored memorable goals in the key matches of the 1990/91 season.

Three of that Sampdoria 1991 team played for Juventus when they won the European Cup in 1996.

I’m trying to remember Italian football on RTE on Mondays - I remember Mancini clearly … totally forgot about Vialli.

What a fucking goal this was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NsZZMJhp0A

2 Likes

Can’t play that but I presume it’s the back heel?

Not a back heel, a well hit volley from a Lombardo (baldy fella) cross. Nothing to write home about though.

Mate, whats happened to the doe eyed happy go lucky poster that joined this forum. You are a full on curmudgeon now

TSG

That is the effect you have on folk .

1 Like

I never crossed BIAT

True.
He doesn’t live in a swamp though, so you wouldn’t have any reason to cross him

There is a quip in there somewhere i guess

1 Like

Didn’t our own Liam Brady play with sampadoria? I was a big follower of Italian football around maradona’s time with napoli. Fuck I’m getting old…was it "superchannel’ that used to show it?

Super channel :astonished:

1 Like

The goal was a huge dissapointment, it was just a good goal.

Yeah. Juventus sold him to make a space for Boniek. Think only one or two foreigners were allowed in those days.

1 Like