Buying a daycent Suit

@Julio Geordio - just throw the shirt out if it doesn’t fit. We’re extremely affluent professionals so who cares if we waste money on ill-fitting clothes?

True, it will also give me a humorous anecdote for clients about the perils of online shopping and how I’ll be sticking to my tailor down the road.

“He may be a bit more expensive but you can’t put a price on class.”

That’ll go down a treat.

A mate of mine looks after the Dublin branch of this crowd

http://suits.ie/

Slightly biased but he recently looked after a mate and his groomsmen for his wedding and nothing but good reports.

The well-dressed men and their like on this board will be glad to learn about the arrival of a Dublin studio of the innovative tailor www.asuitthatfits.com. Essentially, you visit the studio, get measured up, pick your cloth and customise your suit as per your preference (collar, pockets, cut, buttons, style etc), all this information gets sent to Nepal where your suit is made up, shipped back to Dublin and then given a final fitting and adjustment. The advantage of this business model is it allows the benefit of a bespoke tailored suit for a fraction of the typical bespoke price i.e. you can pick one up for about €400. Having used their services in the UK I can recommend whole-heartedly.

Any advice on shoe purchases lads?

I can’t seem to keep a pair of shoes in any sort of respectable condition beyond 2 or 3 months. Last couple of pairs have been brown and they seem to scuff up very quickly, possibly beause I have an odd habit of jogging to and from the DART despite being in no hurry and despite wearing a suit and despite perspiring after the fact and cursing my ridiculous decision to have run unnecessarily to a DART that I know will be stuffy and packed.

Anyway, I think my next pair should be black, and I will reverse my two reversible belts to the black side to match. What sort of brand should I be looking at? Last pair were Aldo and weren’t cheap but not happy with how quickly they scuffed at the front and the heel sort of collapsed.

[quote=“Rocko, post: 834587, member: 1”]Any advice on shoe purchases lads?

I can’t seem to keep a pair of shoes in any sort of respectable condition beyond 2 or 3 months. Last couple of pairs have been brown and they seem to scuff up very quickly, possibly beause I have an odd habit of jogging to and from the DART despite being in no hurry and despite wearing a suit and despite perspiring after the fact and cursing my ridiculous decision to have run unnecessarily to a DART that I know will be stuffy and packed.

Anyway, I think my next pair should be black, and I will reverse my two reversible belts to the black side to match. What sort of brand should I be looking at? Last pair were Aldo and weren’t cheap but not happy with how quickly they scuffed at the front and the heel sort of collapsed.[/quote]

www.hudsonshoes.com - click on mens and then formal. A delightful shoe selection at reasonable prices.

Buy two pairs of shoes and alternate them so they get a chance to “breathe”.

Depends on how much you want to pay. You can go down the Church’s route and but expensive shoes that they will rebuild for you when worn.

Other option is Marks and Spencer shoes for about ninety euro that you treat as disposable after six months.

Unless you go expensive English shoemaker shoes steer away from leather soles during wet winter months. If you have to buy a leather soled pair and get them immediately resoled

90 euro for 6 months sounds awfully dear.

Take your holidays in Turkey and stock up on good shoes

Cost per wear is low
Buy more than one pair of shoes and they will last more than twice as long. Polish them properly once a week and use that liquid stuff otherwise

Could you leave a pair in the office and wear runners on the commute

That’s probably on the first page of the “Things That Are Wrong” thread. It should also be documented on the “Things That Make You A Cunt” thread. Wearing runners with a suit for the walk to work is the mark of an utter, utter cunt. I’m not sure which is worse, the gimps with their white Asics/Nikes or the arseholes who think they’re hip wearing Converse or something. I’m angry now.

The Converse cunts are worse. The other lads are doing something grossly unacceptable for what purport to be practical reasons. The Converse cunts do it for practical and “fashion” reasons. I presume @ClarkeyCat does this.

He said he is jogging to the DART so something needs to give

Top shirt button open, skinny tie “messily” put on even though it took them ages to get it looking that way and Converse with their suit. Die, cunts.

This is how I picture Boxty dressing

You sound very insecure Bandage.

I just want somebody to tell me everything will be okay, pal.

It will @Bandage. Don’t be intimidated by those fashion conscious hipsters. You have an awful lot going for you.

Going to a black tie affair tomorrow.
Are tuxedos standard issue or anybody have advice? Always feel like a cunt wearing one but herself is nominated for an award so better not rock the boat.
Is it worth buying a tux that I will wear once every year or two for long term or will I just do the usual and hire one?