Buying a daycent Suit

[quote=“corner back, post: 834772, member: 1572”]Going to a black tie affair tomorrow.
Are tuxedos standard issue or anybody have advice? Always feel like a cunt wearing one but herself is nominated for an award so better not rock the boat.
Is it worth buying a tux that I will wear once every year or two for long term or will I just do the usual and hire one?[/quote]
buy one if you can - if you are of average build and size I recommend Marks and Spencer for most office menswear/black tie menswear in terms of bang for buck
They may not have decent tuxes this time of year (always in for Christmas) but worth a look

something like this

http://www.marksandspencer.ie/Savile-Row-Inspired-Pure-Wool-1-Button-Evening-Jacket/Parent_T153895,en_IE,pd.html?dwvar_Parent__T153895_color=Y0&start=#.UjxUQhBjj3s

check inside pocket for lable and make sure it is 100% wool - they have cheaper ones that are polyster and viscose mixes but you don’t want those

buy single breasted in black and make sure it fits
buy a dress tie (black tie) as opposed to a dicky bow - it will look better unless you are buying a self tie dickie bow

under no circumstances buy a self tie dickie bow and use a tied dickie bow and then drape the untied self tie dickie bow around your neck later

New shoes today. One hour in and I’m already in bits.

Did you walk to work?

Yup. I’ve to walk to another meeting now shortly 20 mins ew trip. I’ll be crawling by the end of it.

School boy stuff Julio… Surprised at a well heeled gent like yourself.

You should have worn them for 30 minute periods around the house over the weekend. The pressure points would have emerged and you could have prevented blistering with some plasters before setting out this morning.

The only positive is that the pain will keep you focused.

Quick update from my desk at work: The suit I got altered in mid August is now way too loose on me despite my regular Beck’s consumption.

I’m too embarrassed to go in and ask for a second alteration but I’ve come up with a preliminary plan.

You may recall that @Appendage[/USER], @[USER=6]briantinnion and myself ordered custom made Louis Copeland suits a while back - it was also mentioned on this thread.

Well, I haven’t arranged my fitting yet but I’m going to get a date in the diary for next midweek. I plan on wearing my loose fitting suit to the fitting and I reckon the tailors will make the first move and offer to alter it.

I’ll let the forum know how I get on.

[quote=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 845822, member: 686”]School boy stuff Julio… Surprised at a well heeled gent like yourself.

You should have worn them for 30 minute periods around the house over the weekend. The pressure points would have emerged and you could have prevented blistering with some plasters before setting out this morning.

The only positive is that the pain will keep you focused.[/quote]

Boom boom

[quote=“Bandage, post: 845826, member: 9”]Quick update from my desk at work: The suit I got altered in mid August is now way too loose on me despite my regular Beck’s consumption.

I’m too embarrassed to go in and ask for a second alteration but I’ve come up with a preliminary plan.

You may recall that @Appendage[/USER], @[USER=6]briantinnion and myself ordered custom made Louis Copeland suits a while back - it was also mentioned on this thread.

Well, I haven’t arranged my fitting yet but I’m going to get a date in the diary for next midweek. I plan on wearing my loose fitting suit to the fitting and I reckon the tailors will make the first move and offer to alter it.

I’ll let the forum know how I get on.[/quote]
Bandage when was your last check up? I’m worried you may have the aids

[quote=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 845822, member: 686”]School boy stuff Julio… Surprised at a well heeled gent like yourself.

The only positive is that the pain will keep you focused.[/quote]

I know. Had to put the best forward today so to speak and my other pair were gone a bit shabby. I’ll leave these off again for a couple of days and break them in slowly. On the plus side I look resplendent today in my new shoes, new suit and new shirt. :clap: Fashion over function.

Got a nice ted baker suit in kildare village last week, about 230, good deal.

@Bandage I’m hoping to get measured this week. Possibly getting a day off towards the end of this week in lieu of working both days the last four weekends so will try get measured that day. Also planning to buy an additional suit.

Any chance you can do your measuring this week? Should we connect offline?

[quote=“briantinnion, post: 845961, member: 6”]@Bandage I’m hoping to get measured this week. Possibly getting a day off towards the end of this week in lieu of working both days the last four weekends so will try get measured that day. Also planning to buy an additional suit.

Any chance you can do your measuring this week? Should we connect offline?[/quote]

We should probably connect offline but I’ve a hectic schedule this week and I don’t think I can fit in some inside leg measurements and ball cupping, or indeed a suit fitting.

They are the business. Durable enough for work too.

Kildare village is my first port of call for suit shopping

[quote=“dancarter, post: 846135, member: 122”]They are the business. Durable enough for work too.

Kildare village is my first port of call for suit shopping[/quote]
Yep, think it was your post put me on to going there. Cheers!

[quote=“Bandage, post: 845826, member: 9”]Quick update from my desk at work: The suit I got altered in mid August is now way too loose on me despite my regular Beck’s consumption.

Everything went according to plan. Absolutely over the moon.

Knowing Louis Copeland “haute couture” you’re just as likely to end up with two big suits.

Just received a voicemail from Adrian in the Pembroke Street store. My custom made suit is ready. I think I’ll wait to collect it next week. Very exciting times.

You should be mate, a custom made suit is a substantially better fit than off the peg. To be honest, your main difficulty now will be not changing your entire wardrobe to bespoke.

Agreed. I’m taking things one step at a time. This suit was purchased purely so I can look my smartest at the Leinster Society Chartered Accountants Christmas Lunch on December 13th. I’ll assess matters over the festive period and decide whether to commence a change to bespoke in early 2014.

Louis winter sale now on

http://www.louiscopeland.com/sale/shop-menswear-c100

Impeccable service once again by Henry in the Capel St store.