Buying a daycent Suit

You could do worse than a Strellson suit in Arnotts.

3 Likes

Arnotts have it all.

Good deals on Paul Costelloe and Baumler suits at present.

This is a gamechanger

No better suit at this price point. Often 20 per cent off sales so wait for that

http://m.marksandspencer.ie/mt/www.marksandspencer.ie/Navy-Tailored-Fit-Suit-Including-Waistcoat/DSef596edf474549209d234b4be48801bc,en_IE,pd.html?start=

1 Like

Would you wear a waistcoat to work, pal?

@Bandage - shop around pal. What’s great for one man will be shit for another. The only piece of advice I will give you is to get it tailored. Makes a huge difference.

When you say tailored, how exactly? And where do you get this done?

3 Likes

+1

You also need to try on the trousers and see if the legs of the pants will stay in situ when rolled up around the knees. Nothing worse than being in the middle of Thunderstruck and trying to stop the pants from rolling back down.

12 Likes

The danger with the new skinner leg is that you can’t get it up to the knee in the first place.

1 Like

Take it to a tailor mate. There’s a few around Grafton St.

Some places where you buy the suit will tailor it for you. Will cost about an extra €40 for the jacket and about €20 for the pants but well worth it.

I usually buy off the peg to fit my shoulders and chest and then get the rest of it tailored. Usually that’s just taking it in around the middle to give it more of a bell shape. Same for pants, usually buy the waist that’s comfortable and have the leg tailored.

You can end up with a smashing suit for €400-500. I once bought a bespoke suit from Louis Copeland for significantly more than that and the fit was nowhere near as good as the ones I’ve bought off the peg and had tailored.

2 Likes

I think I’ve recommended it before but I’ve used “A suit that fits” (asuitthatfits.com) before.

Essentially, they have studios where you go in, pick your material and pick all the details of the suit (i.e. pocket details, buttons, lapels etc) They also measure you up in detail. All this info is then sent to their tailors in Nepal where your suit is made to measure. The final suit is then sent back several weeks later and fine-tuning of the tailoring takes place to finish it off.

The website is quite good in that you can see how much each detail etc costs - similar to the old Dell website where adding extras costs money. A suit on it costs about €400-500 so in terms of a bespoke suit its pretty good value.

1 Like

Not sure I would. I rarely wear ties so wouldn’t work

It can be a good look on right person though

Informative rating. Where do you be buying them off the rack? I’d normally put it back unless the fit is good, I’d only get the legs/sleeves adjusted.

Arnott’s, Massimo Dutti, M&S - anywhere I see a suit I like and has decent quality material.

It’s a must to get the jacket tailored - look at any mannequin in a store, they all have the back pinned to give it a more tailored look.

I bought a tux for around €350 in M&S as it was too much hassle to rent one. I got it tailored by a lovely Eastern European lady in Ranelagh and it looks wonderful now.

2 Likes

Do Arnott’s have staff in the suit section to measure you and touch you up? It always seems quiet in there and you’re left to your own devices.

Call into Billy Higgins’ next time you are home.

1 Like

There was a tall brunette working in the section beside G star before Xmas who was quite possibly the best looking woman I’ve ever seen in the flesh. I’d let her measure me up any day har de har har…

2 Likes

You utter creep.

Yes they do. They have lads wandering around with measuring tapes around their necks.

1 Like

Lovely. Hopefully one of them will approach me as I don’t want to ask for assistance - it’s a sign of weakness.