Calling Carryharry

Diesel car, good milage around 170k, no green diesel. Serviced by non main dealer but professional outfit. Break discs and pads on all four.

Brake fluid sensor I reckon.

As regards losing power it’s more than likely an EGR valve. Hopefully not injector issue as that’ll be a costly repair.

1 Like

Did you turn it upside down and give it a good shake ?
Works wonders I believe.

2 Likes

What does the male Avensis run on?

All your female relatives you thick cunt.

Good man Josie :grinning:

5 Likes

Harry, having a problem with the DPF on my Renault.

Been to a few places and on the internet and it’s hard to get best advice.

Detaile are:
Car doesn’t get driven much at high speed to clean out the filter, and probably won’t unless we do it purposely.
We don’t intend trading in anytime soon.
It was cleaned out a couple of years ago but the problem has returned.
Been quoted a figure of 52g in there at the moment.

Options:
New DPF, 2-3K, so not really an option.
Get it cleaned out locally again, €120. No guarantees here.
Get it cleaned out profesionally at the DPF Clinic in Shannon, 300 plus removal and refit at local garage. 30 day only guarantee.
Take out the DPF and have the engine remapped. €450. But no guarantee that this wouldn’t be spotted by a future NCT.

What you think Kid?

Josie will be with you as soon as he recovers from falling backwards into the pit

:joy:

Drive it hard once a month purposely.
That or map it, you will have trouble with it constantly if you don’t do one or the other.

Year & mileage please pal.

2008 Renault Koleos 96,248KM, or about 60,000 miles.

Did you buy it new & service it with a main dealer?

No, bought it about 2011. It was serviced at a main dealer all along up to about two years ago when Leonards lost the Renault dealership in Limerick city. Leonards blew it out the first time. Error light went off. Back again now and needs an NCT.

IMO, you can do two things.

Investigate discreetly if Renault supply an additive for the DPF filter. I know Peugeot do but the silly cunting cunts never made customers aware of it which saw all the DPF Filters in their HDI diesels fail at around 60,000 miles. Using this additive would have solved the problem if used at every service. If Renault do supply such an additive then I would say you have a claim with Renault Ireland for support on a New Unit.

The other option if possible is to get rid of it, if the DPF filter is failing then there is a good chance there could be further issues with the engine going forward.

Renault give 5 years / 150000km warranty with new cars so I’d be pretty sharp with them that a nice 8 year old car with such low mileage is giving such trouble. At least the cunts may meet you half way on the cost of the unit & you pay the labour.

Also, do not on my advice take the unit off the car. If you are involved in an accident the Insurance company could argue the car had been tampered with or you sell the car on there could be issues if you mess with the car like that.

Thanks Harry for all the options. Much apreciated.

Still mulling over it here. In with a different mechanic today. We’ll see what he says.

So the warning is there for anybody thinking of buying a diesel that dont intend driving it on a motorway regularly.

If it’s predominantly urban driving you do & you are considering buying a Diesel car, I recommend the following,

Make sure & be informed as to what type of DPF filter the car has.
Can an additive be used to prolong the life of the filter.
What warranty applies to DPF filters.
What is the cost of replacement units in the event of failure, different makes seem to have varying differing prices.

Finally, if you do currently own a diesel car doing very little driving. Make sure that at least once a month you take the car for a drive where you drive the gears at high revs. This will clean built up carbon out of the system. People tend to think driving at low revs improves fuel consumption which is correct, but a good hard drive occasionally wil not effect consumption long term.

We had the same issue exactly on one a few years back. It had an engine management thing that stopped it revving above three thousand. We just drove it like that for two or three years, then traded it when she decided she needed something bigger.

Is it a vibrator you’re talking about Flatty? :joy:

@carryharry ,

What’s the best option for upgrading the stock stereo in the car, Avensis T27. The piece of shit radio can’t stream music through Bluetooth. Was looking at a nice pioneer touchscreen one in Halfords for about 500 installed. There are load on ebay but they look like dodgy shit from China. Are Halfords the way to go?

Be cheaper to upgrade the car. Shur €500 would cover 2 months payments.

1 Like