Celebrity Deaths - 2016

@mac a clear leader at present. Unbelievable to think NO-ONE else predicted a celebrity death on here in 2016 so far. Incredible. Iā€™m probably second due to my predicting Boy George to die when in fact George Michael was the one to go.

Cc @fitzy

I was intrigued by the title of George Michaelā€™s album Listen Without Prejudice, a friend gave me a loan of it. Itā€™s excellent. Sorry to hear of his death.

Year isnā€™t over yet

Some lovely stories coming out about George Michael this morning. It appears he was a top, top chap.

1 Like

My audit training made me professionally sceptical and I blame Bressie for making me cynical. But I donā€™t want to be left out of the communal social media grieving process for George Michael because todayā€™s tributes paint the picture of a very nice man.

I spent half time of Watford-Crystal Palace googling his song lyrics as it should be helpful for posthumous hashtag purposes. Iā€™ve just typed ā€œGeorge Michaelā€ into my spotify search box and Iā€™ll play tunes in the background during the second half.

Iā€™m confident that Iā€™ll be well positioned to talk definitively about his entire output and share my strongly held views about specific career incidents, decisions and milestones by 7pm.

RIP George Michael.

4 Likes

Jesus mate, youā€™re really trying hard for relevancy at the moment.

1 Like

I like the one about paying for that womanā€™s IVF.

3 Likes

Itā€™s my personal view* that Wham! were the most misunderstood musical act of the 1980s. They were held up by many people as the epitome of Thatcherism when they were in fact the opposite of that - they were publicly supportive of the minersā€™ strike and other progressive causes, and brilliantly skewered the vacuous, individualistic, consumerist culture that was emerging in Britain at the time.

*For the last 40 minutes, since I read an article on the Guardianā€™s website.

1 Like

I totally agree and I recall* that he played a benefit gig for NHS nurses at one stage too. In fact he made several subtle political gestures and contributed to various causes throughout his career and now weā€™re hearing about his many acts of private generosity too.

*from reading a Guardian article a little while ago

1 Like

Mugs blaming a calendar year for the death of celebrities :joy:

5 Likes

ā€œFuck 2016, youā€™re an absolute bastardā€.

Some muldoon national newspaper journalist around 24 years old was tweeting last night that the Christmas spirit was gone and the holidays were ruined because of George Michaelsā€™ passing. Soundtrack of her teenage years apparently.

1 Like

:joy:

Link.

Please donā€™t.

1 Like

Name and shame. That is COTY form.

FRO :rollseyes:

ā€œWhat the actual f*** is going on? 2016 - I am done with youā€

ā€œWhat in the actual hell 2016, you are a piece of sh*tā€

Another fella on my timeline is explaining how this is so upsetting for him because he once went to a gay bar when he was 18 and ā€œletā€™s go outside was playingā€ and he came out to his parents at Christmas time 15 years ago and OMG George Michael died at Christmas timeā€¦freaky

8 Likes

As Terry Pratchett said, as a species we are far more Pan narrans than Homo sapiens.

I dont get it.

Not sure why you are quoting the bird from superman returns either

8 Likes

You of all people should get it.

Has anyone done any kind of a study on this? There was a few very high profile figures in the music industry that departed in 2016, but across the boards through all the different spheres - sports, political, literature and so on, off the top of my head Iā€™d hazard a guess that celebrity mortality levels were pretty much at the same level as any other year.