Celebrity Deaths - 2017

Not a celeb but did not know how best to inform the board

Don Cockburn.

And that’s all from him.

It’s been a long time since this forum of 40 year olds has had such a clear and obvious candidate for the celeb death thread, I’m too young to remember Mitchell, when I was growing up Don was one of the most famous men in the country, RIP.

He must have been a fair age.

Rip Don.

RIP Don

Could never understand why they pronounced it Coburn, when the mans name was obviously Cockburn. Anyway. RIP Don.

RIP Don .

Thought he died years ago, but R.I.P. anyway Don.

I learned how to draw my first owl watching him

2 Likes

RIP Don, he seemed like a very nice man having to tell us about some very not nice news.

@SHANNONSIDER @ciarancareyshurlingarmy

Would I have be right in saying there was a horse called Cock Coburn or similar many years ago?
It was the first thing that came into my head when I read this fella died.

There was a fella called Cock Cronin in Kilmallock.

I dont recall.

@SHANNONSIDER would be the go-to man for such a query.
You could also ask @mac but beware that he is useless at answering any query raised with him.

There is a Ryan family in Kilteely who carry the moniker Ryan-Cock to distinguish them locally.

1 Like

I’ve googled him, It was Cock Cockburn (pronounced Co-burn). He only won a handful of races, but I see he won one in Listowel in 1992. I would have been 10. I must have backed him or something.

It’s illegal to make a bet as a 10 year old in Ireland so either withdraw that remark or I’m reporting you to the Gardai.

I’m pretty sure I’d be in the clear. It’s the person who laid me the bet would be in trouble.

1 Like

The Gardai will leave no stone unturned hunting you down. They are remorseless once they get a sniff of a crime.