Celebrity Deaths - 2017

Sid

What were you father’s speciality topics on KYS ?

It was no where in the world.

I think I watched the first episode of the series back in July but haven’t seen any of it since then. The University Challenge season is a bit like the association football season - I tend to find my interest very lukewarm until the nights really start closing in around mid-October, then it’s full steam ahead until the spring.

The first winner of Know Your Sport back in 1988 was Tom Hunt from Clonea-Power, Co. Waterford, uncle of Stephen & Noel Hunt.

I can’t remember and I doubt he can at this stage. I imagine it was something to do with GAA though.

The dumbing down of TV quiz shows is the most annoying trend of the general dumbing down of tv. I love a good quiz show but I know fuck all about celebrities, soaps etc which seem to make up an inordinate amount of questions these days. God be with the days when some solid knowledge of history and geography were the core planks required. That and giving multiple choice answers really piss me off. You either know it or you don’t

1 Like

I’ll have a C please Bob.

The American States and their capitals.

Know them. They will come up in a quiz sometime.

Don’t get me started on fucking 8 out of ten cats does countdown. All of them reveling in their own ignorance and laughing at that Jon chap who has some but of intellect about him

Is the “new” Fifteen To One with Sandi Toksvig still going? I saw it once and it looked a bit shit.

The original one with William G. Stewart followed by Countdown was a sublime hour and a bit of television.

3 Likes

I know that Bismark is the state capital of North Dakota thanks to the Simpsons if that helps?

I like pointless. It’s a good concept, you’d have an idea even on hard ones and get to be extra smug by getting two or three pointless answers

Originally Fifteen-to-One replaced Countdown during the summer at 4.30pm.

Then they decided to give us the best of both worlds.

Bill McKeigue, a great Scottish Presbyterian man, was the first person to get maximum points of 433.

1 Like

Jesus, that’s after depressing the shit out of me.

2 Likes

He is an absolute cunt of a man.

1 Like

That’s after picking me right up.

2 Likes

To be fair to Magee, as I’ve slagged him off a bit on this thread, that “Different Class” commentary and the John Treacy one were different class, in fact they’re two of the best pieces of sports commentary ever - Magee’s commentary on the Maradona goal is for me the definitive one from any broadcast anywhere in the world, even better than Bryon Butler’s description on BBC radio which was also tremendous. That’s some distinction to have.

It’s irked me for years that the shit, dubbed version of the “Different Class” commentary was the only one available.

I’d like to get that secret RTE Twitter account on the case of why they decided to re-do it and dub it and hide the original.

Despite the incompetence running through them, I also found Magee’s amateur boxing commentaries in latter years to be most enjoyable and integral to the whole experience of watching Irish boxers in action at the Olympics. There was a sort of feeling of timelessness in hearing them.

1 Like

Magee wasn’t a ‘professional’ commentator.

He had great moments, he had shocking moments.

But that was the charm.

It most certainly is not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wVho3I0NtU

2 Likes

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder, mate.

To paraphrase an argument being made on another thread here today, great television sports commentary is as much about what you don’t say as about what you do.