Celebrity Deaths - 2017

Pics please

Jake LaMotta RIP

Yeah, that’ll happen alright, pal.

Raging Bull, Jake LaMotta, has passed away aged 96.

2 Likes

Haha, the RTE ‘archives’, thats a good one.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/01/15/4112730-inside-story-back-where-it-all-began-for-magee/

@Fagan_ODowd

1 Like

Sad news about Jimmy.
Also had the distinct honour of appearing on “Know your Sport”. Classic show of its time.
Joe Brolly was one of mystery guests at one of recordings.
Had the honour of sharing a make up room with Joe, as my pasty complexion got doused in make up to make me look less odd under the studio lights.
Joe making quips about his keenness to get his make up removed asap as he didn’t want to cross the border with make up on.
Maybe you had to be there…

7 Likes

It was done in the 1980s for jaysus sake. Was there not enough interactive technology in it for you?

2 Likes

Hard to believe so many internet weirdos are also quiz geeks.

2 Likes

I got out of the water in the Guillomene Cove a couple of years ago and I was getting dressed when an ould fella came up to me and said - Excuse me, I hope you don’t mind me asking, but were you the captain of the Mount Sion school quiz team. - I was I said. I knew it he says and he walked off

9 Likes

Was the answer correct ?

1 Like

What was the guy Honaghan lost to/beat in rematch? Sanchez, Alvarez or Campos has my head wrecked… I know he was Mexican and I can picture him still just not his name

That’s a pretty good summation alright. I’ll always associate Jimmy with European Cup Winners Cup games in the 80’s, on a dodgy phone line from Bucharest or Prague or some such.
He was a terrible commentator. The whole thing of this exceptional knowledge of sport didn’t exactly hide the fact that while he could tell you who came fifth in the 10000 metres in the 1956 Olympics, he couldn’t do any decent analysis of a game going on in front of his eyes.
A number of people I know either knew him or have met him and everyone said he was a very nice man, which I’m sure he was. RIP Jimmy.

2 Likes

So i’m far from alone in feeling he was a poor commentator?

cc @croppy_boy

Please don’t involve me in an argument with @croppy_boy, I don’t have the time.

1 Like

Still seething I see. I just said that you were being a cunt on the thread, I never said I disagreed with you.

Bunclody lads are gone soft. In the 1980s they would have been mad for a fight.

I’m listening to the Kinks’ greatest hits and having a coffee.

I really got you going.

2 Likes

All day, and all of the night…