Celebrity Deaths 2022

How was he responsible for the apprehension of Rudolph Hess? Hess flew to Scotland of his own volition, did Newton-John snr grab him as he stepped off the plane and say Iā€™m apprehending you pal, I am?

By 1933, Hess was deputy party leader of the Nazi Party, but in 1941, his position of influence had begun to wane. So it was then that he cooked up a desperate plan, embarking on an unsanctioned solo flight from Germany to Scotland in an attempt to broker a peace deal with the United Kingdom. Years later, fellow Nazi Albert Speer discussed Hessā€™ plan with him while the two served their sentences in Spandau prison.

Quoted in the Smithsonian Magazine, Speer recalled that, ā€œHess assured me in all seriousness that the idea had been inspired in him in a dream by supernatural forces. We will guarantee England her Empire; in return she will give us a free hand in Europe.ā€

Unfortunately for Hess, his mission didnā€™t exactly go off as planned. Out of fuel, he was forced to bail out of his plane near a farm in Scotland. He was eventually picked up by British soldiers, among them Brinley Newton-John, who helped to verify Hessā€™ identity., reports the Australian Dictionary of Biography. Though he brought his message of peace to the British authorities, they regarded it as having no validity, and he was held as a prisoner of war.

Read More: The True Story Of Olivia Newton-John's Nazi-Fighting Family

So he apprehended someone who wanted to be apprehended.

The man was mad, they did well to take him down.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2022/0809/1314803-darryl-hunt-of-the-pogues-has-died-aged-72/

4 Likes

Iconic

3 Likes

RIP Daryl.

A roadie who became a full member after Costello nicked the bass player.

Also was chosen to tell MacGowan that he was out of the band back in the early 90s.

2 Likes

Awful news, RIP Daryl Hunt. Thereā€™s a great account of how Daryl had to tell Shane he was out in James Fearnleyā€™s book.

3 Likes

Raymond Briggs, author of the Snowman, has passed away. He was aged 88

The Snowman has sold 5.5M copies around the world.

2 Likes

The television film is wonderful.

Walking in the Air towards the end.

The utterly heartbreaking scene at the end.

Well done that man. RIP.

1 Like

Bowie and the scarf at the start, iconic :heart_eyes:

1 Like

He also did when the wind blows which was an excellent anti nuclear war story

1 Like

I havenā€™t read the book but as a child I thought the snowman (short film)was a load of shite, having rewatched it recently Iā€™m happy with that assertion.

However my favourite watch every Christmas is his film about a grumpy but kind hearted Santa Claus called ā€˜Father Christmasā€™, we have it on DVD and itā€™s brilliant, RIP

1 Like

Is that the one where it depicts what Father Christmas does for the other 11 months of the year? Mel Smith did the voice of Santa in the animated version

Aaron Ramsey has already been blamed for Olivia Newton John so he cant be blamed for Daryl Hunt or Raymond Briggs.

1 Like

The NCH used to do a lovely production of The Snowman every Christmas @farmerinthecity, Iā€™d recommend you seek it out if it pops up again post covid. The kids loved it.

The Snowman is utterly magical, while at the same time brutal in its finale. A lovely bit of learning for the children.

Ya, thatā€™s the one, itā€™s brilliant.

I went to a live orchestra and narrated production of the snowman at Christmas a couple of years ago in UCH, I remember as a kid thinking that it was a cartoon for grown ups but again it was wasted on me, the kids were nonplussed,

Simons snowman in Viz was a great tribute though

2 Likes

There is a book (a graphic novel I suppose youā€™d call it) to go along with that film. Well worth picking up, very funny.

Anne heche expected to sign into the thread later today

Sheā€™ll be happy at that, most definitely her aim