Celebrity Deaths 2024 (90 or younger)

The big games on channel 4 on a Sunday ,with James (?) . the sun always seemed to be shining .probably the first top European league outside of England most of us ever saw

And Roberto Carlos, even though he was a fucking awful free taker. Apart from that one fluke.

Lizarazu too.

Where have all the great left backs gone?

Am I just an old man yelling that things were better in my day?

Richardson

1 Like

There is just way too much fucking soccer on now.

5 Likes

Great memories.And then Gazza coming into the mix.
And all the flute acting aside,he was some player.

The day football finished was when AC Milan took Abel Tarbaat on loan from QPR.

And I agree - far too much football available for viewing.

1 Like

It was easier follow a team too and you knew who was playing week in and week out , teams rarely changed . Now your saturated with loads of football and loads of players in a squad

1 Like

You could watch Italian football on rte and you wouldn’t have a clue how the games had finished even though it was probably two days later.

Baggio. Batistuta. Chiesa. Ravanelli.

Iconic

2 Likes

A shame to see it reduced to a farmer’s league these days.

Always remember being fascinated watching roberto Mancini at the time ,he was the best two footed player I’d seen.

1 Like

Was Martin Tyler doing the commentary back then? I think it was.

And that jersey! Class

1 Like

Peter Brackley on Channel 4

Ah sound.

Wasn’t it Monday night they had highlights of the Italian soccer on?

And the theme tune of course. Iconic. Golazzzzo…

He did the precursor to the Channel 4 show which was shown on Network 2 as a highlights package,

It must have been Sky that had it.

1 Like

Anyone remember Ole Ole on T na G with the Spanish football?

Luis Enrique and Rivaldo ripping it up for Van Gaal’s Barcelona. Capello putting a dent in it winning the league with Real.

Brían Tyers commentated I think, ‘Cúl den scoth!’

2 Likes

He was a two footed player. Took his free kicks with his left and his penalties with his right. I loved his goal against Holland in 1990, a curler with his right from the far left corner of the box.

Also the best taker of outswinging corners I’ve ever seen (I generally hate outswinging corners). He singlehandedly dragged West Germany back into the 1986 World Cup final with them. Argentina didn’t know what to (John Motson voice).

1 Like

And nobody watches any of it, even the journalists.

True story, Paddy Mulligan was employed by a national radio network to do analysis of the FA Community Shield between Chelsea and Manchester United one year. Paddy barely watched a second of it. He was glued to an All-Ireland hurling semi-final with his buddy Daithi Regan and instead got one of the off air dogsbodies to look at the sacar and inform him if anything had happened. But the off air dogsbody was looking at the hurling too. In the end Paddy just came in to look at the hurling with with the dogsbody and told jokes. So I’m told anyway. Paddy’s “analysis” for the short time he was on air consisted of generalised talk about anything but the Community Shield.

To be honest, I like my football analysis like that.

1 Like

Luke shaw