Celtic v St Mirren ☘

Yeah I agree and he can be a bit more risky with his passing when he’s out there.

Rogic should have put in the yeti there.

Ajeti has looked really hungry since he came in.

1 Like

6-0 Turnbull

1 Like

Finishes 6-0. Dominant from first minute to last. Never let them get any sort of possession or reprieve from the pressure. Glad to see Power go off early before he injured a half dozen players.

Turnbull gets man of the match. Abada was the standout player for me. Got his two goals and could have had a few assists if the finishing had been better from others. But a great overall performance. Even Taylor played well.

4 Likes

Signs look really promising with Ange for sure, but we’ve had a run of home games there with two league games after the away opener at Hearts, a second leg in Europe and the first leg in the next round and Hearts again in the League Cup in there too. Two big away games now on Thursday and Sunday week against AZ and the huns respectively.

1 Like

Two intriguing games.

Another manager would set us up defensively in both. Even last season an attacking strategy on Thursday would be incentivised by the away goal rule but we’ll just go for it anyway and hope to outscore them it seems. I don’t think Soro will start because his passing isn’t good enough and McCarthy won’t come in from nowhere so we’ll be going for that aggressive midfield again it seems. And will likely do the same for the huns.

I think we’ll have more confidence and belief in our attacking system than we had against Midtjylland but it will still be a challenge away from home with no Celtic fans and a very unproven defence.

A word for the ball bhoys today by the way. We were really sharp to all our restarts. Not sure if it’s Covid that allows us to have multiple balls but it’s working a treat.

1 Like

Good to see that, think he has been a little unfairly assessed considering last season was his first in Glasgow, he was trying to adjust to a new city during lockdown, and he had Lennon over him. He looks like a player who has to stay working hard on his fitness so Lennon was a disaster for him.
I saw a stat today that, excluding penalties, Ivan Toney has scored 3 goals in his last 20 league games. That is playing as the main striker for a team winning promotion.

3 Likes

Ref card footage for anyone who didn’t see it. Power should be stripped of his Irish passport.

Yeah, Rogic wouldn’t have been rested today unless he was going to be back in on Thursday. What was the centre back alignment today?

Starfelt on the right again. They offered very little but Starfelt had a good game in the clearances and challenges he had to make.

1 Like

The only decision then is the mix of the front three - Forrest, Kyogo and Abada started on Thursday but Edouard and Christie will be pushing them.

Edouard is slowly getting better and he allows us to play through him a bit more. We went more direct at the end on Wednesday. But Kyogo is impossible to mark when he plays centrally so I see him starting there with Abada and either Christie or Forrest out wide.

Toney was MOTM last week against Arsenal.

But no goal threat. 3 non penalty goals in his last 20 league games is a very poor return, I’m not sure he is up to the hype. Peterborough signed some journeyman to replace him last season and he smashed his scoring record and got them promoted.

Top scorer in the Championship and League One in successive seasons and getting a MOTM award in his first EPL game the season after is an impressive trajectory by any metric.

1 Like

And 3 non-penalty goals in 18 league games in a championship run-in where your team is going for promotion is fairly pitiful. Will be interesting to see how he goes, judging a fella on whether Gazza Neville gives him Motm is a dodgy enough way to assess a player. We will see how many he finishes with this season not counting penalties - Celtic signing a player because of his record from penalties wouldn’t be too clever considering Scottish referees.

A bad run of form perhaps but you seem to focusing on one metric to make him look bad when his body of work over the past 3 years or so is hugely impressive.