Celtic youths

Celtic’s first 4 goals (Killen, O’Brien, O’Brien again and O’Dea)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TnZwuqPj98

Next 3 to follow.

2 quality goals by O’Brien, especially the header which is brilliant.

In fact I made a mess of the last 2 goals and deleted them by mistake. Pity because McGowan’s goal at the end was the pick of the bunch. Picked the ball up just outside the box and feigned to hit it before lobbing the keeper.

The sixth goal was a good effort from Killen who brought the ball forward to a 1 on 1 and finished well.

So I only have the fifth goal which is a Jarosik header:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM4fQP0qyJo

2 goals for Sno for the Dutch Under 21s last night - never looks like scoring with Celtic but that’s a decent level he’s playing at.

Qualifying round - 12 October 2007 20:30 (local time) - A Le Coq Arena - Tallinn

Estonia 0 - 3 Netherlands

Friday 12 October 2007 -

Evander Sno scored twice in the first half as the Netherlands maintained their 100 per cent start to qualifying in Group 5 with victory in Estonia.

The holders were quickly into their stride with Sno scoring inside two minutes then adding another before the interval. Roy Beerens completed a routine win early in the second half to make it three successive wins in qualifying for the holders, who will expect to make it four wins out of four when F.Y.R. Macedonia visit Nijmegen on Wednesday.
Sno storm
Sno and Beerens were a constant thorn in the Estonian’s side with the pair combining for the first goal with the game barely under way. Beerens crossed from the right and Sno was left unmarked six metres from goal to hand the Netherlands the lead. A second goal should have followed immediately when Royston Drenthe was felled for a penalty but the same player then fired his spot-kick wide.
Beerens reward
The setback was only brief, though, as Sno won the ball in midfield and unleashed a fine effort from 20 metres which Stanislav Pedok could not keep out. Beerens was finally rewarded for his display in the 53rd minute, cutting in from the right and finding the net after some sustained pressure from a confident Dutch side.

Superb picture from the reserve game today:

http://www.celticfc.net/NetFrame_Client/1_0_0/Pages/DisplayImage.aspx?resourceID=17e27cf0-5742-

Drew 2-2 away to the Huns after being 2-0 up after 15 minutes.

An o.g and Balde.

Apparently Riordan was disinterested and Pressley and Balde were solid at the back. Not sure it does anything for the development of O’Dea and Cuthbert to have them playing in the full back positions.

It would suggest we’ll have a relatively strong team out in the League Cup tomorrow night then.

Good win for the youths today:

Youth Cup: Bhoys Thrill at Firhill

Gregor Kyle
FIRHILL proved to be the place for thrills on Sunday afternoon as John McLaughlans men produced a five-star, five-goal showing to progress to the fourth round of the Scottish Youth Cup.

Goals from Kevin Cawley, Graham Carey, Daniel Lafferty and a double from Paul Cahillane completed a good afternoons work for Celtic against a well-organised Partick Thistle side who have been in impressive form in the league in recent weeks.

But with Celtic determined to make up for last terms disappointing showing in the Youth Cup Final against Rangers, the youths were simply too strong for their First Division opponents.

Initially this match was something of a slow burner, with Celtic largely containing the home side deep inside their own half and holding on to possession, albeit without creating any clear cut attempts on goal.

The first real shot on target came with just over 20 minutes on the clock, when Michael Graham sent a dipping effort spinning toward goal from 25 yards out. This was easily collected by the Thistle goalkeeper, but Celtic looked to be warming to the task with Graham and fellow winger, Graham Carey causing problems on either flank.

After Grahams speculative attempt, Carey enjoyed two good chances before Kevin Cawley finally broke down the hardworking Thistle defence shortly before the half hour mark.

This time around it was a ball from deep which caused the problems, with Paul Cahillane dropping a well-placed pass in to the back post for Cawley and unfortunately for Thistle, this proved to be the opening of the floodgates.

Smelling blood and clearly buoyed by the opener Celtic poured forward and within the space of four dramatic minutes raced into a three-goal lead.

It was Irishman Carey who grabbed the second, skipping past his marker on the byline and then looking up before drilling a shot back across goal and into the far corner of the net.

The quality of this excellent finish was then surpassed by his compatriot Cahillane who, breaking forward from midfield, rode two challenges before thumping a shot from the edge of the box past the beleaguered Thistle goalkeeper.

The three goals effectively ended this game as a contest, even despite a rare and promising push forward by Thistle in the wake of Cahillanes strike.

But within minutes of kicking-off the second half Celtic were attacking the game with renewed vigour, with Ross Hepburn stealing-in behind the defence, taking a touch that carried the ball past the covering centre-back and rifling in a shot that was palmed away by the keeper.

It was understandable though that some of the pace and verve was by now beginning to dip out of this game and in this second half it at points resembled a training match, with Celtic apparently keeping possession at ease.

One such sustained period of pressure and a corner delivered to the back post saw Daniel Lafferty add Celtics fourth, with the defender stooping low to head home at close range.

This lead then allowed John McLaughlan the opportunity to field some of the younger members of his squad, with Declan Bunting entering the fray just before the fourth goal, Luca Santonocito coming on minutes later and Joe Bradley the third, late substitute.

As the game entered the closing stages Paul Cahillane enjoyed a couple of good chances before Carlo Monti almost grabbed the goal of the game with a vicious right-foot shot dropping fractionally above the bar.

But a miserable afternoon for Thistle keeper Charles Samushunga was complete in the 84th minute when he spilled another effort from Monti, straight into the path of Cahillane, who duly rammed the ball home from six yards out.

The strike rounded-off what was a mature and measured performance from this young Celtic side, one which has edged them a step closer to the Hampden final they so desperately crave.

Disappointing 1-1 draw at Kilmarnock this evening. Riordan got the goal. Pressley played and was booked for persistent fouling (no surprises there).

No standout performance by all accounts.

INTERVIEW WITH LUCA SANTONOCITO from Italian Celtic site

[I]We begin 2008 in the sign of the hope and we begin it with an interview with Luca Santonocito, the young Italian centralmidfielder, that since september of the last year has gone to reinforce the Italian presence in the Bhoys. Thanks Luca for your availability during the christmas festivities and we predict that 2008 will be rich with success in the hope that flag of the glorious Celtic can become one.

How are you doing with the language?[/I]

With the language good, I understand nearly everything that is said to me, when speaking I have still some difficulty even if it will not be long till that improves. On the pitch I makes myself understood well.

How do you understand the technical terms of the Pitch?

As I integrated myself with them, consequently I learned the technical terms and the ways to communicate with the team, aided by gestures like in Italy.

Which difference is between our training and theirs?

The Italians are above all based on technique and tactics and with the rhythm of game; the Scots there is less technique and tactics, a lot more physical and stamina training, the training is always relaxed and happy. Moreover, I train myself every day except Wednesday, I have two games at the weekend, and some days the training sessions are both morning and afternoon, other times in the gym.

How are relationships with the technical staff and management?

They are THE BEST, Willie McStay, reserve team coach, together with Strachan want to work with the reserve squad, but through necessity and success against Rangers, I have played with all of the three teams, and I think that would possibly happened still however, in my comparison they have a great respect.

Have you found any differences, and which, between the youth sector of Celtic and that of Italians?

Obviously, it’s an other structure, an other organization, also the relationship between trainers and players is diverse, much more on the student level, for an example we joke lots with the coach, there isn’t much tension and where there is it is a lot reduced. This creates a calm atmosphere.

What pushed you to make the important decision to leave Italy for Scotland?

First, the fact that they have seen me in Italy and they deliberately made me do a trial , the result of which you know. Moreover I come from Inter, squad of great level, but they prefer foreigners over the national students where I played, even though less than a year. This point I have accepted with joy and the awareness of what was happening to me, promising not to disappoint anyone, from here my promise, if possible to become one that makes it at Celtic.

From the comparisons that surely will have been made, who that have seen you play, to who are you similar to game style?

I think that I do not to know to how to give an answer, because when someone compared me to some player that I know only from the name and at my age, have not been able to see them, would not know to express a judgment, I have not been identified with anyone even currently, if I could resemble anyone, someone like Rossi, a complete player from my point of view.

Good win for Celtic reserves at Dundee United yesterday. Celtic fielded a very young team:

Fox - thought he’d gone on loan
Reid
Gaughan* - Irish lad we got from Liverpool
Cuthbert - good to see this lad playing well again. MOTM
Lafferty*
Carey*
Towell* - 16 year old Irish lad making his first start and getting a goal
Miller
Cahillane*
Cawley
O’Carroll* - played well in the highlights and in the bits of the main game I saw.

• I make that 6 Irish lads in the starting XI - that’s something else actually.

Good win anyway with goals from Towell and Cawley. They’d a strong enough side out with Kenneth, Prince Baubin and Marc de Vries all playing. We’d lads like Towell playing who’s 16 years old - he’s playing about 3 levels above his natural age at the moment due to loans and injuries etc.

Highlights below (interviews at the end where Towell calls Dundee United, “Dundee”):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJAP31Fz7o

Nice finish by Cawley. Towell looks to be loving that interview at the end.

Celtic have swooped to land highly - rated Romanian kid Richard Filaret in a 125,000 deal. The 17-year old Atletico Arad midfielder was on trial at parkhead in December, along with team-mate George Tucadean.And Filaret has done enough to earn a five - year deal with the hoops , which will earn him 400 a week,according to reports in the Rommanian media. Filartet ia a member of Romanias under-19 team and is rated as a top prospect. Italian giants Sampdoria were also desperate to land Filaret, but he has opted to move to Glasgow.

Hearts beat off celtic last year to land Dumitri Copil from the same club .

Half time in the reserves game today and Celtic are 4 up on Gretna. Goals from Riordan (x2), Cawley and someone else.

Team is:

Fox

Doumb
Wilson
O’Carroll
Caddis

McGlinchey
Millar
Riordan
Mizuno

Cawley
Killen

Some back 4: 3 full backs and a centre forward. Interesting to see Doumb back and Wilson playing too. Wonder if O’Carroll is still covering as a centre half or are they trying to convert him.

Cawley has scored in every U19 game he’s played in this year.

5-0 Killen.

Mizuno off injured

Goals from the Gretna reserves game:
http://www.thefreekick.com/vbforum/vbtube_show.php?do=tube&tubeid=52&t=10049

3-1 win today away to Motherwell. Great to see Sheridan back from injury. He was out for most of the season if memory serves me. Towell came off the bench too. Loads of young Irish lads at Celtic at the moment.

Reserves pitch in against the odds

Gregor Kyle
THE reserves passed a test of character in Shotts this afternoon, continuing their winning run on an atrocious playing surface with a 3-1 league victory away against Motherwell.

The pitch at Hannah Park was compared to ‘tapioca’ by one spectator and is the subject of an official complaint to the Scottish Premier League by Celtic reserve coach Willie McStay.

But, if anything, the circumstances made this result all the more creditable, with Bobo Balde, Ben Hutchinson, Paul McGowan and Cillian Sheridan all making their returns after injury and McGowan, Sheridan and Derek Riordan getting on the scoresheet.

The 3-1 win means that the second string are still undefeated in 2008 and right back in the hunt for the Reserve League title.

“A big bonus for me today was the three points on a surface that was horrendous and totally unsuitable for this level of football,” McStay told celticfc.net afterwards.

“We let the SPL know our feelings about this on the Monday prior to the game so that this protest would not be based on a result. Win, lose or draw, this surface was not acceptable.

“Another bonus though was that we had several players returning to the team who emerged unscathed, with Paul McGowan getting 60 minutes, Cillian Sheridan coming back and getting about half-an-hour and Ben Hutchinson also returning from injury.

“They all contributed in the game and Paul got the goal that will keep him smiling.

“Like I said, they all contributed and it was a good day.”

The reserves have endured their fair share of disappointments this season, with their calendar peppered by a run of frustrating postponements, so with this in mind, they were clearly up for this league meeting with Motherwell.

Building on an impressive start, Hutchinson teed up the opener with a lovely through ball that put McGowan one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

As the striker rounded his opponent he slipped on the surface and allowed the keeper to get a hand on the ball. But he was quick to react to the spill and stabbed his shot into the back of an empty net.

Then, after a number of good chances, Derek Riordan added a second with a wonderful piece of individual skill and finishing. Cutting in from the left, the former Hibs man looked up and rifled a right-foot shot into the bottom corner of the net.

With Celtic in the ascendancy it was to Motherwell’s credit that they pulled one back in the 55th minute, but with just six minutes remaining, McStay’s men snatched a conclusive third through Sheridan.

The goal actually followed an outstanding run from Chris Killen which carried him past four defenders, only for the big striker to slip and stumble on the surface after initially being put off balance by a covering defender.

The resulting by-kick was fired straight back into the mix by the Celtic players, with Motherwell forced to concede a corner.

This set-piece was then curled into the box by Riordan, where it was headed into the top corner by Sheridan from eight yards out.

CELTIC (4-4-2) M Brown; Caddis, Balde, Cuthbert, Conroy; Hutchinson (Towell 57), Millar, McGlinchey (Santonocito 75), Riordan; McGowan (Sheridan 50), Killen.

13 year old played for Celtic youths at the weekend!

Youths keep eyes on title

David Friel
AN experimental Celtic youth team shrugged off the absence of a host of key players to post a crucial 1-0 win over Inverness Caledonian Thistle on Saturday afternoon.

Trialist striker Danny Gardiner was the match-winner for John McLaughlan’s men, who overcame a stuffy home side to stay on the trail of league leaders Hibernian.

It was also a historic occasion for young Celtic player Islam Feruz, who made his debut for the youths at the tender age of 13 – coming off the bench to play the last five minutes of the match.

McLaughlan said: “It was a massive win for us and the boys did everything we asked of them against a very tough, well-organised team.

“When you look at the list of players who were missing from the squad, we had no option but to go with the young boys. It wasn’t easy but they can be proud of the result.

“Young Danny has been on trial with us and did well to get the winner. He’s an English lad and we’ll be having a chat with him this week.

“It was also great to get young Islam on for the last few minutes. He’s obviously still really young but it was a good experience for him. He trained with us last week and he impressed everyone. He has a lot of talent.”

With regulars Michael Tidser, James Forrest, Ryan Strachan, Richie Towell, Laurence Gaughan, James Keatings, Matty Hughes and Joe Bradley all missing for a variety of reasons, it was an unusual Celtic side that took to the field.

The weather can be unpredictable at the best of times in the Highlands and Saturday was no different. From brilliant sunshine, to rain and a howling wind, Celtic had to contend with the elements as they attempted to get their passing game going.

Chances came for both sides, with Celtic’s reshaped back four standing firm any time the home side threatened. Their reward for that stout showing came in 44 minutes when Gardiner bagged the only goal of the game.

The influential Carlo Monti began the move with a wonderful cross-field pass to find Gardiner on the edge of the box. With the home goalkeeper advancing, his finish was perfect.

There were few chances in the second period for either side. Gardiner had a couple of openings, while Celtic also caused the Caley defence problems from set-pieces, but there were no more goals as the Hoops ran out winners.

McLaughlan said: “In terms of our league position, it was an important win. Hibs didn’t have a game at the weekend, so it was good to pull back three points.

“I was really pleased with the performance and attitude of the boys. It’s a long journey up there and we had to go into the game without a lot of big players.

“I told the other guys that they had to take the chance to impress and they did. I felt Carlo Monti was outstanding at left-back, while the midfield and back four went about the jobs in the right way.

“Up front, Declan Bunting and Danny gave us a threat and kept the Caley defence on their toes. All in, it was a good win and the boys can take a lot from it.”

CELTIC: Giordano; Toshney, G Gallacher, D Gallacher, Monti; Graham (Bagshaw 60), Cochrane, Foley, Santonocito; Gardiner, Bunting (Feruz 85)

Celtic doing well against Barcelona in this Next Gen game.

Filip Twardzik is playing really well in an advanced midfield role. Rhys Murrell-Williamson looking dangerous too.

Nick Felly has just fumbled a cross into his goal to give Barca the lead.

Cracking equaliser from Watt.

Any link for this Rocko?