Champions League 2019/20 Rounds of 70 ➡ 32

were FC Maribor previously called NK Maribior Teatanic?

@mickee321 ludo to win have been in group stages before

The draw for the Round of 52 has been made now also. (I’m beginning to think I have those numbers wrong, please check @bandage)

Good second round draw for Celtic. Not as easy for Dundalk but far from the worst (apart from the travel aspect).

• Group 1

Astana (KAZ)/CFR Cluj (ROU) v Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR)
BATE Borisov (BLR)/Piast Gliwice (POL) v Linfield (NIR)/Rosenborg (NOR)
The New Saints (WAL)/Winners of the preliminary round v København (DEN)
Ferencváros (HUN)/Ludogorets (BUL) v F91 Dudelange (LUX)/Valletta (MLT)
Dundalk (IRL)/Riga (LVA) v Partizani (ALB)/Qarabağ (AZE)

• Group 2

Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA)/Saburtalo (GEO) v GNK Dinamo (CRO)
Celtic (SCO)/Sarajevo (BIH) v Nõmme Kalju (EST)/Shkëndija (MKD)
Sūduva (LTU)/Crvena zvezda (SRB) v HJK Helsinki (FIN)/HB Tórshavn (FRO)
Slovan Bratislava (SVK)/Sutjeska (MNE) v APOEL (CYP)
Valur Reykjavík (ISL)/Maribor (SVN) v Ararat-Armenia (ARM)/AIK (SWE)

League path

Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) v Olympiacos (GRE)
PSV Eindhoven (NED) v Basel (SUI)

When is the next draw?

Just before the second qualifying round. So about a month away.

Same as last season, if Celtic progress through the rounds they will have a game every midweek from 9th July until the end of August.

1 Like

At a brief glance, we are looking to be a seeded team for the whole qualifying phase, irrespective of the results and progression of other teams?

Yeah we are seeded all the way (and even likely to be in Pot 3 in the groups if we make it there, though Pot 4 looks likely to be as strong as Pot 3 anyway).

Having had a look through the potential opposition, we really should be qualifying - certainly based on resources but also on the squad we have. It would be huge disappointment not to qualifying for flogging in the proper tournament.

3 Likes

We should be stronger than most of the teams we can face but we should have been stronger than AEK last year too. Young Boys and Slavia Prague (based on their performances last season) are probably the ones to avoid in the final round if we get there but we will avoid the likes of Ajax, Copenhagen, Dinamo Zagreb which is a big help.

Yup.

In fairness AEK looked the toughest draw last year and we went out narrowly in the midst of an injury crisis and backroom discord between players and management (Dembele, Boyata) and management and board.

We really should be qualifying this year but lack of activity is extremely alarming.

Breaking

Second qualifying round draw (matches 23/24 July & 30/31 July)

Champions Path

• Group 1

Astana (KAZ)/CFR Cluj (ROU) v Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR) BATE Borisov (BLR)/Piast Gliwice (POL) v Linfield (NIR)/Rosenborg (NOR)
The New Saints (WAL)/Winners of the preliminary round v København (DEN)
Ferencváros (HUN)/Ludogorets (BUL) v F91 Dudelange (LUX)/Valletta (MLT)

• Group 2

Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA)/Saburtalo (GEO) v GNK Dinamo (CRO)
Celtic (SCO)/Sarajevo (BIH)
v Nõmme Kalju (EST)/Shkëndija (MKD) Sūduva (LTU)/Crvena zvezda (SRB) v HJK Helsinki (FIN)/HB Tórshavn (FRO)
Slovan Bratislava (SVK)/Sutjeska (MNE) v APOEL (CYP)
Valur Reykjavík (ISL)/Maribor (SVN)
v Ararat-Armenia (ARM)/AIK (SWE)

League path

Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) v Olympiacos (GRE)
PSV Eindhoven (NED) v Basel (SUI)

Seeded sides in bold

Dundalk realistically going to Qarabag- thats probably beyond them
they will then enter the 3rd qualifying round of Europa League if defeated

Celtic vs the North macedonians

Ooooft

the mini qualifying tournament that is the preliminary round before the firs qualifying round gets under way in Pristina on Tuesday
Feronikeli/Imps is the final really
home advantage and a raucous crowd will swing it id imagine

correct me if i am wrong but Tre Penne Galazzano have never scored a goal in Europe
Sanat Coloma are not w/o hope - they put FC banants from Armenia out of the 2014/15 Europa league if i recall

Sanat Coloma will legitmately think they’re pasta the post

This was yesterday. Or did something further happen today?

yes - i have only internalised it now tho

( i wouldnt rule out UEFA making another draw however)

no odds available on the games above yet
@Rocko - NK Drita won that tournament last year but were put out by B36 Torshavn maybe evntually?
World Soccer did an excellent article on the game- ill get that down from the attic
The Imps are not without hope here at all - Joe Chippolina will marshall the back and Liam Walker formerly of Bnei Yehuda Tel Aviv is also there

Fuck the GAA and the EPL
this is the real deal now lads

1 Like