Champions League 2021/22 - Another Magic night in Madrid from the Kings of Europe

I support a team playing in Scotland so maybe this seems like turkeys voting for Christmas but I wonder if there’s an argument to be made for segregating the competitions to keep elite leagues together.

Everyone wants to challenge themselves against the best but it seems to make more sense to have the Bundesliga, Serie A and La Liga in a higher tier competition and the also rans from England, Scotland and Netherlands in a lesser competition where they’d have more chance of silverware.

3 Likes

One of those duds won the Champions League for them in 2018.

And 2014

Here we go again

2 Likes

Some of the lads who tried to storm the stadium with fake tickets were TERRIFIED

1 Like

As a fan of football as opposed to high intensity pressing and sprinting, the winning goal was a thing of beauty and summed up the difference between the teams. That irksome, mouthy, jocko dickhead Robertson decides he can win the ball back off Modric by sprinting at him like a deranged terrier. Modric is forced back into his own half but all the time he’s weaving, scanning, not panicking and all the time Robertson is being dragged further out of position. Then the cute little reverse ball back into the space Robertson vacated and suddenly several murderers were taken out of the game. After the next quick interchange, Valverde is released forward on the right. Van Dyke is such a lazy fucker - I couldn’t believe it when we paid Groningen £2.5mn for him. He never tries to engage Valverde, he just runs parallel to him but 10 yards over from him and then turns his arse when Valverde moves to fire it across. I wouldn’t blame TAA because he’s taking his position from Konate and I quite like him as he’s a footballer. The game essentially turned on Modric’s footballing intelligence tempting Robertson to wire into a frenzied press, Modric’s calm brilliance & Van Dyke being too fat/arrogant to get over on the cover.

17 Likes

Astute analysis.

Robertson maybe justified in the initial press to make sure Modric didn’t have too much time but Modric was just toying with him them bringing him further and further out of position before opening it up. Really naive.

But Van Dijk didn’t do anything to help out afterwards. A dangled back leg type block attempt that was completely ignorant of the danger in the middle. TAA couldn’t be expected to go deeper or wider or he’d have given up the more dangerous space.

Your analysis of the goal is spot on… Madrid had the composure and smarts. In saying that, on another night Liverpool score 3 or 4, two saves in particular were outrageous. It’s the beauty and cruelty of soccer.

WTF was that about? Looked like a hungover Sunday league centre half

the best defender ever according to the footix

1 Like

The last month has shown why the English went ape shit when the prospect of a European league was first mooted.

Hard to believe an employee of Dublin Airport would have a vested interest in blaming ticket holders and defending incompetent crowd control.

I’m not an employee of Dublin airport

Plane spotter?

Fellas that don’t work at all throwing shade at employees of anyone :roll_eyes:

How do you know I don’t work?

Good to know you spend such time worrying about what I do, at least.

check mate

Oooffftttt. That won’t sit well with a few here.

2 Likes

The media now are moaning saying it could have been any clubs fans.

It still hasn’t dawned on these idiots the Madrid fans had no problems.

It was the same in the 06 final with their fans. 1000s stormed the stadium.

1 Like