Champions League 2024/2025

Yeah the Champions League doesn’t have the pre-Christmas drama it used to have. Think Liverpool elimination on the final day in Basel (2002-03), near elimination on the final day against Olympiakos in 2004-05 before improbably going on to win it out and Man Utd bombing out in the group in 2005-06. Go back 20 years ago and it felt like there was far more equality. More surprise packages like Monaco, Deportivo and Porto (2004) or PSV (2005). A larger number of teams who could realistically expect to win out. Although maybe today’s children will look back with nostalgia at the Champions League group stages in 2023/24 that knocked out Man Utd, Newcastle and Milan.

Leinster football was far more vibrant 20 years ago too before the Dublin juggernaut consumed all. A functioning football championship with the novel new qualifiers. The Heineken Cup was still a thing at the time too in the rugby. We’re lucky we grew up when we did. Albeit I think the football is becoming more open again in recent years and the hurling has a similar number of contenders as it always had.

3 Likes

Girona ex spurs keeper has a howler and PSG win. However, I’ve been a fan of Dembele for years but he really doesn’t have it, his striking of the ball is just cat, and he is going around taking free kicks with his bad leg. Kolo Muani has all the potential in the world but just missed so many chances. They need to ship the two of them and focus on Bercola.

Bar Barca and Real, OSG have the best young midfielders in Europe. The young Portuguese Neves is unbelievable.

Liam Scales was like a rolls royce tonight

3 Likes

Oh Gundo

https://twitter.com/richiekav/status/1836486486717292560?t=4LjJlOFNIcR29yZ6_k-Img&s=08

1 Like

I think this new format needs to be given a chance. Those groups of four with home & away fixtures were becoming very samey. 8 standalone matches is an interesting new twist & I predict it’ll become properly intriguing as the table takes shape. There’ll likely only be a few points separating a clutch of sides trying to get that top 8 slot & direct entry to the last 16 & similarly a lot of jockeying for position in the 9-24 bracket as teams want to be seeded for the play off round. Not to mention the teams in the lower part scrambling to break into the 24.

3 Likes

A Celtic Bayern Munich final is surely on the cards

1 Like

You’ve made a compelling case. One of my favourite Irish pundits Damien Delaney was very enthusiastic about the new structure too. Should provide some great prelim ties anyway. The sheer volume of games might be a worry for the players but any of us would gladly play an extra few games a season in some of the most picturesque cities in Europe rather than pouring over spreadsheets etc.

Table really taking shape already actually.

2 Likes

He was the senior partner tonight. An excellent performance.

Engels looks like the prototype modern midfielder - an all round player & athlete.

Rodgers has consistently spoken about pace and power being needed for CL. Engels provides that & there’s loads of pace on the counter too with Maeda & Kuhn.

1 Like

European nights at Celtic Park can be very loud but volume won’t be a problem for the Abu Dhabi players in the library-like atmosphere of the Wastelands.

1 Like

Disappointing night for the City group with Girona going down 1-0 against the Qataris.

It reminds me a lot of the gaa round robin championship football structure.

1 Like

You don’t want your Arab petro-state rivals to have local bragging rights.

Brendan Rodgers finally getting the hang of Europe. Putting the debate between him and Bald Hag to bed @Aertel220

Engels - first Celtic player to score & assist in the same CL match since Larsson in 2001.

Scales & Idah - first time 2 Irish players have scored in the same CL match.

1 Like

Hamann reckons Engels is the new Kevin De Bruyne.

Some English chap called Jamie Gittens scored twice for Dortmund tonight.

I’ve never heard of him before. Looks a talent.

There’s a CL Match of the Day programme on BBC 1 these days.

Celtic first up with Celtic legend Joe Hart on pundit duty.

He has a lovely crisp strike of a ball too, his technique reminded me a bit of fellow Belgian Philippe Albert