Champions League Matchday 9 Thread

Totti is out for Roma for the first leg against United. Huge blow for Roma, Vucinic is the likely replacement.

Totti out is indeed a massive blow for the Romans. I can see United winning away. i also think that Barca could well get beaten by Schalke. Maybe their undoubted class on occasion will tell, but their form of late is appalling. No Messi or Ronaldihno, leaky at the back these days and there is definitely some weirdness going on at the Camp Nou these days with Rijkaard. All in all, I don’t see them doing well in europe this year and I think Schalke are great value @11-5 to win.

Still think Barca will win (as much to do with Schalke’s ineptitude as anything) but you’re right that’s not a bad price.

I have a feeling Schalke will get into the semi-finals and we’ll be treated to more articles about the people’s club like those that circulated last year. It’s more of a hunch though and it’s based on nothing more than not liking the club (found them to be right wing when I lived there) and the fact that every other team I dislike is going well at the moment.

Yeah I have a hunch that Schalke will get through as well - or an ‘inkling’ if you were on ‘Who Wants to be a Millionarie?’.

Barcas form is shocking. Either way I would imagine that United would fancy their chances of reaching the final. Here’s hoping, n praying, that they don’t.

I think Barca have been comfortable all through the Champions League despite being rubbish domestically and have got the better of Lyon, Stuttgart, Celtic and the huns. I believe they’ll be too strong for Schalke despite the absence of Messi and my vbookie activity reflects my views. It’s a shame Totti’s out as he’s a class act. Vucinic came on and scored against Real Madrid and gave an excellent 25 minute cameo. Hopefully, they’ll get a result to at least keep the tie alive for the second leg.

I think the abscense of totti is actually a plus for the Giallarossi as he tends to go missing in games against english opposition.
The way Utd took Villa to the cleaners on saturday leads me to think Roma have litle chance of progressing but i live on in hope.
Barca are an awful side and had they played a better team than Celtic would surely have struggled.
Utd- Chelsea final i’d wager

[quote=“josepi73”]I think the abscense of totti is actually a plus for the Giallarossi as he tends to go missing in games against english opposition.
The way Utd took Villa to the cleaners on saturday leads me to think Roma have litle chance of progressing but i live on in hope.
Barca are an awful side and had they played a better team than Celtic would surely have struggled.
Utd- Chelsea final i’d wager[/quote]

Totti missing is a huge blow and any talk of him going missing is a bit unfair considering how he did against madrid in the last round. Manchester United were convincing all right but think its important to remember who they were up against. Wouldn’t read too much into how well they do against sides like villa.
Barca will win the Champions League imo.

United Lineup:

Van Der Sar
Brown
Vidic
Rio
Evra
Ronaldo
Carrick
Scholes
Anderson
Park
Rooney

Bench

Tomaz
Pique
Sheasey
Silvestre
Hargreaves
Giggs
Tevez

Good win for United. Capitalising on Roma’s lack of a pair of balls between the whole lot of them. They looked resigned to defeat right from the off and shat themselves whenever an oppertunity arose. Dunphy may be right about Italian football.

Some game United and Barcelona in the semi

[B]Follow, Follow, Follow cause United are going to Moscow there will be thousands of reds who will be pissed off there heads coz United are going to Moscow. :rolleyes:

[/B]Great win by the lads. Rio Ferdinand what a performance. Best I’ve ever seen from him. Scholes was back to his best tonight too which was great. Only downer Vidic going off. Hope its not too bad.

Set up nicely alright for United v Barca. That has the makings of a good game if Barca get their act together.

I only saw the first half of this.

Thought Ferguson had blown it again with his ridiculous selection having Rooney on the left and Ronaldo through the middle seemingly to keep an eye on the Roma right back. Ronaldo didnt look as if he was going to get into the game at all and then he scored that goal. Fantastic header it was. I don’t like the guy but by Jaysus is he doing his stuff.

Didn’t see any of the game after that so can’t comment but tie is over now. Just hoping Messi and Ronaldinho are back to knock the fookers out in the semis…

Disappointed with Barcelona’s performance but in fairness a great result and they should finish it off in the Nou Camp hopefully. Not doing it domestically but things seem to be leading to another European Final.

So here we are again. Another season and Liverpool again relying on the Champions League having been miles behind in the English League. Many other teams would proabaly take that but Liverpool’s priorities lay with the EPL this year and it is a damning indictment of Benitez yet again that they are in a fight for fourth.

But anyway that is a story for another day. What you must say for Rafa is that he has an excellent record in this competition with Liverpool. Three years, two finals, one win is impressive. Of course the RTE panel will dismiss us again even though we have been by far the best performing English team in the competition of the last few seasons.

So to tonight’s match and needless to say I will be rowing in behind them to cheer them on. It is no coincidence that Liverpool’s most consistent form comes at a time when he has more on less kept a settled side. I would say that he will go with the following team tonight:

Reina,
Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Auerlio
Mascherano, Alonso
Kuyt, Gerrard, Babel,
Torres

He could bring in Hyppia and move Carraghr to right back. I would not be in favour of this though as Carragher is the corner stone fo the defence and should be in the centre. Also he offers nothing going forward.

An away goal is vital tonight. If we don’t get one then we are definitely up against it. I see where Rafa said that Torres is going to be the key amn. He is but there was no need to say that an put more pressure on the guy. I am confident though.

Im going for an Arsenal 2.0 win tonight. I can only see Liverpool sitting back the entire game and feel that Arsenal have the quality to score a few.

Don’t know about that Shan. Arsenal are pisspoor at the moment. We just have to hope they are up for it and that Adebayor puts on a wig to regain his form. I think Van Persie will score tonight.

I think Liverpool will win tonight, Arsenal look very fragile recently and Liverpool don’t have much else to play for.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]So here we are again. Another season and Liverpool again relying on the Champions League having been miles behind in the English League. Many other teams would proabaly take that but Liverpool’s priorities lay with the EPL this year and it is a damning indictment of Benitez yet again that they are in a fight for fourth.

But anyway that is a story for another day. What you must say for Rafa is that he has an excellent record in this competition with Liverpool. Three years, two finals, one win is impressive. Of course the RTE panel will dismiss us again even though we have been by far the best performing English team in the competition of the last few seasons.

So to tonight’s match and needless to say I will be rowing in behind them to cheer them on. It is no coincidence that Liverpool’s most consistent form comes at a time when he has more on less kept a settled side. I would say that he will go with the following team tonight:

Reina,
Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Auerlio
Mascherano, Alonso
Kuyt, Gerrard, Babel,
Torres

He could bring in Hyppia and move Carraghr to right back. I would not be in favour of this though as Carragher is the corner stone fo the defence and should be in the centre. Also he offers nothing going forward.

An away goal is vital tonight. If we don’t get one then we are definitely up against it. I see where Rafa said that Torres is going to be the key amn. He is but there was no need to say that an put more pressure on the guy. I am confident though.[/quote]

Bang on the money in everything you’ve said there. I’d say that’ll be the team alright. I’m not overly confident about this but think that the winner of this tie will win the Champions League.

But didn’t Carragher play right back on Sunday and in Milan? That might suggest Hyppia will play although Carragher was in the centre against Manchester United. I think a draw is fairly likely tonight as Liverpool won’t mond getting them back to Anfield and finishing the tie off there like they did to Chelsea before and will be satisfied with a stalemate and Arsenal went and won in Milan after being held at home. I’ll be watching this and hoping for a few goals but I’m expecting a cagey, tight affair with a lot of bodies in midfield and a potential 0-0 draw.

Roma were in fear last night because utd are IMO the best side in europe right now.
great goal by ronaldo ans once it went in,roma’s feint hopes of getting through went up the pictures.
italians mentality is by nature quite weak(witness milan wilting against a piss poor liverpool in 2005) so after the 2nd goal was scored last night roma pretty much threw their hat at it.
not a very inspiring idea to those who are used to the heart on the sleeve bravery of the EPL

someone said to me this morning how poor of a spectacle the game was to watch last night.
wait till they catch the schoolboy skills of the rubbish on show tonight !
0:0 written all over it.
oh and barca have zero chance of getting past utd in the next round*

*heres hoping roma beat utd 3:0 in OT