Champions League - Round of 16 Draw

Wenger said Arsenal would get Barca this morning and mentioned something about needing connections at this level, or some such thing.
What the fuck is this all about?

Ferguson said a few years ago that he thought they would get AC Milan, as they seemed the ‘most likely’.

And they did.

He often hints at being like Barca. He thinks because Arsenal play good attractive football that they can be compared. What he doesn’t get (which amazes me for such an intelligent man) is that Barca play attractive “effective” football. And they have better players. The best Arsenal player might be first sub on for Barca, maybe.

The whole thing is bent as fuck.
Swapping balls in and out of pots like lunatics.
The first ball drawn (Roma) never left his hand while he was “mixing” them up.

predictions post ( in all cases i assume the team listed first is at home in fisrt leg)

Roma vs Shatkar
1-1 in rome, 0-0 is ukraine, Donyetsk win on away goals

Milan vs tottenham

2.1 Milan first leg, 4-1 tottenham at the lane, spurs win 5-3 on agg

Valencia vs shalke

3-0 in spain, 1-0 in germany, 4-0 valencia on agg

Inter vs bayern

1-0 Inter in Giuseppei meazza, 2-0 bayern in the allianz, 2-1 bayern on agg

Lyon vs royal madrid

1-1 in stade gerland, 3-0 madrid in Bearnabeau , 4-1 Real

Arsenal vs Barca

2-1 arse in highbury, 4-0 barca in nou camp, 5-2 on agg barca

marseilles vs man united

0-0 in velodrome, 2-0 at OT, 2-0 to man yoo

copenhagen vs chelsea

0-0 in denmark, 1-0 at the bridge, 1-0 to chelsea

ill be backing valencia very heavily indeed to beat shalke

Certainly seems that way. Why do none of the journos do a bit of investigating, I wonder?

Mickee thinking AC Milan will go to Spurs with a goal lead and give away 4. :lol:

And Arsenal will beat Barca? No chance.

Agree on Valencia.

yes, i believe spurs will run riot at the lane against Milan and i see no reason why arsenal cant beat barca at highbury, the return leg tho i expect will be carnage for the gooners.

why do ppl think milan are a good side?
ive watched them a lot this year on ESPN and in the CL, Kev i thought u’d have learned after a really limited ajax side beat them at home 2 zip back on match day 6, even their match with real madrid that finished 2 all, madrid looked like the couldnt give a fook and this time Milan are w/o Inzhagi.
spurs play at too high a tempo for Milan at home, itll be a rout i think at the Lane

arsenal havent a hope against barca in either leg… the thing is arsenals style suits barca down to the ground but barca have, well, better players all over the pitch. fabregas and nasri are the only two players who would get near the barca team. even they would not be guaranteed their place.(they both certainly wouldnt make the barca team). if you even compare the defenses is their an arsenal defender who would make barcas supposedly poor defense?(according to dunphy anyway). i dont think so… also, barca are even better than last year. they will win this tie by about 4 clear goals…

I’d ignore the Ajax game, they played a weakened team and were already through. Still it was a poor result. They are a much improved team though going on results. I haven’t seen a huge amount of them, but i don’t see them being pushed around.

I believe Spurs could get through, but they won’t hammer them.

Barca could win the tie overall by 6-7 goals unless Arsenal pull out their best performance in 5-6 years.

Fucking great draw for us. Ecstatic about it. Wembley here we come. Grazie + Forza Roma.

happy enough to draw Spurs. Their all out attack will trouble Milan, but their defence wont be able to handle Zlatan, Robinho and Pato.

As an aside, I dont know what relevance inzaghi has on the Milan side. He has barely figured at all this year, and the appearance against Madrid, albeit a good one, was a cameo. Think he has only played in 4 or 5 games, and most of them (if not all) as a sub. Same goes for Ronaldinho. He has barely figured at all in the side, restricted to a few minutes as a sub. And I dont think a defence with ages of Nesta 34, Bonera 29, Silva 26, Abate 24 is exactly a decrepid aging unit. Maybe replace Bonera with Zambrotta who is 33, but he is still holding his own. I think it doesnt matter who Milan play in defence, people still always think its Costacurta and Maldini playing there at 40 or something.

Mickee saw the Madrid game and is basing it on that, despite saying he watches them on ESPN.

I fancy Arsenal go through. Thomas Vermalen’s recovery from injury is vital though, without him they’ll continue to leak goals.

Anyone capable of posting up the current odds for outright winner?

As gman said I can’t see the Spurs defence coping with the fluidity of Zlatan, Pato and Robinho(who has really impressed me in recent weeks, working very hard)…Don’t think Milan are a soft touch defensively either although neither of their keepers inspire confidence…AC are well seasoned in this competition and won’t be too off put off by WHL…

What dates are these games down for and could someone tell me what nights the Arsenal v Barca match is on(be it tuesday/wednesday split or Wednesday/Tuesday)

Mickee is a spoofer to be fair.

Not the best draw for Barça but hopefully they’ll do a job on Arsenal similar to last year. Gunners put up a fight in London but then were torn apart in the Camp Nou - I can see the same happening again.

spoofer i may or may not be but it dosent take away from the fact that milan and all the italian clubs left in this thing are way off the pace compared to their english and spanish rivals ( and yes on current form depite kev saying they have turned a corner i include inter milan in this).
gman is a perfect example of a kev type simpleton who will analyse things with rose tinted glasses.
saying AC milan are a decent side is ok if you are comparing them to Brescia or Roma but they are not at the level of the 4 english or 3 spanish clubs left in this draw, ill add in bayern as well. Its also like saying Kev’s old doll is good looking if you are comparing her to a herd of cattle, however if you were to bring her into any nightclub in dublin she would be cast aside and end up going home to ride the likes of Jugs with Bandage lsitening in after last call in Coppers with his lad in his hand in the opposite bedroom.
Abate, Silva FFS they’ll do ok at serie a but that is it, i dont rate Milan at all or any italian team at this level, they are a mid table premier leage side at best

Go on the Jews! Tough draw but with Dawson returning the defence should be less permeable.

I thought you were supposed to be intelligent.

I’ll give you all my V-cash for 10% of yours if the Gunners win the tie.

Mickee is fairly rattled here. And clearly watches fuck all soccer outside of the state that shouldn’t be. Taking to insulting someone he never met or saw now, might that be a bit hypocritical? He mentions me 3 times responding to Pikeman. :rolleyes: :lol:

That’s hurtful, mickee. Please take it back.

Thiago Silva is a magnificent player in my opinion. I would be amazed if Milan couldn’t live with Spurs. In fact I think they’ll beat them - English team or not.