Champions League - Round of 4

Kenny ā€œBig knotā€ Cunningham with his usual insightful comments.

After having the morning to think about Man Utd last night a few things just really didnā€™t make sense. Where was Anderson, why was Park on the pitch. Nani did nothing when he came on, I think heā€™d be better starting the game, no reason for bringing him on with 15 minutes left when the game is at itā€™s tightest. Carrick isnā€™t up to it, useless, he just took up a space last night. Rooney must be going mental the way heā€™s being used, what is Ferguson thinking.

I have always said Messi is the best in the world and he proved himself to be absolute quality last night, it when he gets the ball itā€™s like its part of him(amazing considering he only uses his left foot).

(Bit of a rambling post there)

Have a read of this. The guy is obviously on smack.

As written by the Manchester Evening Newsā€™ Paul Hince following last nightā€™s 0-0 draw:

[I]'A GALAXY of stars gathered at the impressive Nou Camp Stadium in Barcelona last night but none twinkled as brightly as that of Cristiano Ronaldo.

'This Champions League semi-final was billed as the clash of the titans between Ronaldo and Barcaā€™s Lionel Messi.

'It was nothing of the sort. Messi is a wonderful player of that there is no doubt. But heā€™s not in Ronaldoā€™s league.

ā€˜Remarkable Ronnie is a genuine 24-carat genius.ā€™[/I]

[I]'You could see the fear in the eyes of the Barcelona defenders from the opening whistle. Ronaldo on the ball equalled panic stations.

ā€˜Mind you, playing in the all-white strip of Real Madrid - obviously one of Fergieā€™s mind games - was enough to give Barca the collywobbles before a ball had been kicked.ā€™[/I]

ā€˜Inside the opening seconds, Ronaldo was scythed down twice by the cynical Spaniards - a sure sign that they were running scared.ā€™

[I]'A minute later the United whiz-kid should have netted with a fierce header only for defender Milito to brush the ball aside with his arm for a blatant penalty. This surely was going to be Ronaldoā€™s 39th goal of an incredible season. But even geniuses are fallible.

ā€˜The terror campaign on Ronaldo continued. Eight more fouls against him by my count in the opening 15 minutes. You began to wonder whether the lad would finish the match on a stretcher. But Ronaldo has brilliance and bravery in equal quantities. And like a heavyweight boxer he just kept coming back for more.ā€™[/I]

Christ almighty that is deluded.

Thatā€™s insane.

Iā€™ll just qualify what Iā€™m going to post by acknowledging that United could very much still go through and in fact are probably favourites to do so at home next week.

But some of the reporting on the game last night has been deluded in the extreme. Certain media outlets are portraying Unitedā€™s performance as ā€˜professionalā€™ and claiming Ferguson set out to nullify Barca, the game panned out how he planned and how he successfully strangled the game etc etc. Frankly thatā€™s a load of rubbish. They were thoroughly outplayed and outmanoeuvred and Ferguson set the team up terribly.

As I said last night, the fact they got a draw was in spite of him and to suggest that United congregating en masse on the edge of their own box for 90 minutes and hoofing the ball out for throw-ins on the few occasions they got hold of the ball was part of some kind of tactical masterstroke is completely ludicrous. In fact, if Avram Grant or Rafa Benitez had overseen such a tactically inept performance they would have been pilloried by all and sundry.

In some respects the fact that United were camped so deep in their own half and consistently gave the ball away cheaply counted against Barca. It meant that United never came out and engaged them in an open game and they generally had a wall of bodies in front of Barca when the home side attacked. Again, thatā€™s not sound tactics by Ferguson, rather itā€™s players like Carrick not being good enough at that level and carelessly conceding possession with the result that they were pinned back for the entire game.

The deciding factors next week will be whether Barcaā€™s poor defence can cope with a more adventurous United and how Barcaā€™s attacking players use the additional space theyā€™re likely to have away from home. If United again go into the game with 2 central midfield players then Barca will dominate possession like last night. Unitedā€™s best chance is to play 4-3-3 and match up with them:

Van der Sar;
Brown; Vidic; Ferdinand; Evra;
Hargreaves; Scholes; Anderson;
Ronaldo; Rooney; Tevez / Nani;

Holy god.

If it was 1939, and the MEN was available in Berlin, Joe Goebbelsā€™ job would be under threat.

[quote=ā€œBandageā€]Thatā€™s insane.

Iā€™ll just qualify what Iā€™m going to post by acknowledging that United could very much still go through and in fact are probably favourites to do so at home next week.

But some of the reporting on the game last night has been deluded in the extreme. Certain media outlets are portraying Unitedā€™s performance as ā€˜professionalā€™ and claiming Ferguson set out to nullify Barca, the game panned out how he planned and how he successfully strangled the game etc etc. Frankly thatā€™s a load of rubbish. They were thoroughly outplayed and outmanoeuvred and Ferguson set the team up terribly.

As I said last night, the fact they got a draw was in spite of him and to suggest that United congregating en masse on the edge of their own box for 90 minutes and hoofing the ball out for throw-ins on the few occasions they got hold of the ball was part of some kind of tactical masterstroke is completely ludicrous. In fact, if Avram Grant or Rafa Benitez had overseen such a tactically inept performance they would have been pilloried by all and sundry.

In some respects the fact that United were camped so deep in their own half and consistently gave the ball away cheaply counted against Barca. It meant that United never came out and engaged them in an open game and they generally had a wall of bodies in front of Barca when the home side attacked. Again, thatā€™s not sound tactics by Ferguson, rather itā€™s players like Carrick not being good enough at that level and carelessly conceding possession with the result that they were pinned back for the entire game.

The deciding factors next week will be whether Barcaā€™s poor defence can cope with a more adventurous United and how Barcaā€™s attacking players use the additional space theyā€™re likely to have away from home. If United again go into the game with 2 central midfield players then Barca will dominate possession like last night. Unitedā€™s best chance is to play 4-3-3 and match up with them:

Van der Sar;
Brown; Vidic; Ferdinand; Evra;
Hargreaves; Scholes; Anderson;
Ronaldo; Rooney; Tevez / Nani;[/quote]

I would agree with your team for the second leg with Tevez instead of Nani. Itā€™s a pity the freekick doesnā€™t benefit from your tactical acumen.
Also, I still think Carrick is class, he just had a bad game. I await the barrage of abuseā€¦

[quote=ā€œJuhniallioā€]I would agree with your team for the second leg with Tevez instead of Nani. Itā€™s a pity the freekick doesnā€™t benefit from your tactical acumen.
Also, I still think Carrick is class, he just had a bad game. I await the barrage of abuseā€¦[/quote]

Thatā€™s the thing Juhy - Rockoā€™s holding me back from fulfilling my true managerial potential. Remember the farce with him last season - resigning as manager, then saying he would remain as manager on an interim basis, then deciding he wanted the job full time again. All the while there was a better candidate in our midst - me. Iā€™m fed up of being the Chrissy Hughton of this operation.

Excellent interview with Xavi from before the first leg game between Barca and United. Makes some excellent points.

April 21, 2008

Xavi Hernandez holds true to the finer arts and crafts

Guillem Balague

Few players are as essential to the football that is produced by their team as Xavi Hernndez, the Barcelona midfield player. He chooses the musical score with the precision of an experienced conductor. He gives way to the soloists, dictates the tempo, shows the way. If Xavi keeps the ball for long enough, Barcelona govern the match; if the team lose sight of him, the Catalan side forget their philosophy.

It all started with Johan Cruyff and the ā€œrondosā€, a training exercise that tells you everything you need to know about the modern Barcelona: it consists of a circle of players who pass the ball to each other with one in the centre trying to catch it. The Dutch genius decided that football started with the ball. Then a generation of fours (the number given to the footballer in front of the defenders) started being produced in the lower ranks of Barcelona ā€” Luis Milla, Josep Guardiola, Xavi, Andrs Iniesta, Mikel Arteta, Cesc Fbregas ā€” all of them intelligent, all of them knots in the rope that is the Barcelona philosophy.

ā€œLovers of offensive, good football will really enjoy this semi-final,ā€ Xavi says. ā€œChelsea and Liverpool offer a more practical football, more direct, stronger physically. But Manchester United are close to us in the way they understand the game. They also want to keep the ball, to pass to arrive in the rivalsā€™ box, to pressure the opposition in their own half.

ā€œFootball is becoming a very fast game, very physical, full of hard workers, it is all about the second balls. It has become successful to play like that and that saddens me. I am from a school of technical football, of touching the ball, of passing, which I think fans appreciate more. Letā€™s see who will win at the end because the final in Moscow will have a representative of those two contrasting styles.ā€

It is difficult to accept that what Liverpool and Arsenal played in the second leg of their quarter-final at Anfield on April 8 was not good football, but Xavi was brought up in a different era. ā€œImagine a mixture of a high rhythm and good passing, when the ball is running 100 miles an hour, not the player,ā€ he says. ā€œThat would be brilliant to watch and successful.

It is true the pace of that match [Liverpool-Arsenal] was amazing, but the ball was lost or robbed every 30 seconds ā€” that is not beautiful football. Football is played with the ball, it is about moving it from one side to another to find spaces, to find yourself in superiority in a wing, have little moments of magic.ā€

If football is going the way of Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal, how can a Manchester United or a Barcelona stop them? ā€œThinking quickly, that is the key,ā€ Xavi says. ā€œThinking that you are going to come to put me under pressure, but I know my next move, my next pass. Have a team that moves constantly without the ball. Pass the ball not with the first touch, but with half a touch. We can all be physical, but not everybody can be technically adept, that needs training and faith in that style. This way of playing has got much more merit.ā€

Xavi, consciously, mentions many of the things that Barcelona are missing and that made them special until two seasons ago. The club are about to bring about some changes that could include the departure of Frank Rijkaard as coach and the arrival to the bench of Guardiola, the midfield player, whom Xavi replaced in influence on and off the pitch. ā€œThere is a battle between those who think that they have the power and those that fight to have that power,ā€ Xavi says, ā€œand we are in the middle, reading things in one paper and the opposite in the other.ā€

Xavi gives the impression that the players know where things went wrong (the likely failure to win La Liga for the second consecutive year is only partially overshadowed by an appearance in the semi-finals of the Champions League) and how to apply the solutions. ā€œWe have had many internal problems this season, with some footballers, especially. The Ronaldinho case has hurt us a lot. People talk about crisis and we are in the semi-finals of the Champions League. People say, ā€˜Ronnie goes outā€™, ā€˜Ronnie will sign for Milanā€™ or wherever and we are about to play one of the most important games ever. We donā€™t go out on the pitch with the calmness necessary to play our best football.ā€

One of the appetising things for a lover of football such as Xavi is the possibility of facing Cristiano Ronaldo, ā€œWith [Lionel] Messi, he is the best player in the world. In fact, he is in front of Leo in terms of influence in a game,ā€ Xavi says. ā€œThe kid has everything ā€” we are talking about physical and technical football.ā€

But there is something that, from a distance, worries him about the Portugal star. ā€œI have the impression, but I donā€™t know him, that he spends too much time with things that are not football-related. He has goals, dribbling, pace and a winning mentality. But also he overcomplicates things. He feels so superior to everybody, and rightly so, that he tries things that sometimes are unnecessary.

ā€œI think he could be a much better player if he was here, playing with us. I have a soft spot for him, I would love him to join us. He would be a better footballer, I feel that he doesnā€™t get as much pressure, as many demands as he would get here. In England, if you do a couple of things right, people talk about you being a legend. Here if you donā€™t do a control properly or if you throw the ball to the stands, people hate you, so you have to become a better player.ā€

Maybe that was why Xavi did not take the opportunity to go to United when he had it recently. ā€œI got a call from a relative of Mr Ferguson, they were looking for midfielders to continue the brand of football they always create,ā€ he reveals. ā€œI am very proud to have been approached. But I am a big Barcelona fan and I would love to retire here. The problem is there is so much pressure here, so many good players that arrive, that I am not sure I will be able to.

ā€œLook at [Thierry] Henry. He signed thinking he was going to be given time to recover after a long injury, that he was not going to play all the games. We got injury problems, he had to play them all and he has suffered physically. Plus, he has the [Fernando] Torres effect, but inverted. Where Torres is a better player over in England, with all the space he finds in front of him, here defences place themselves in their own box. Thierry is like a horse that needs space to run and he doesnā€™t find it here. He has played better in away games, but in the Camp Nou he struggles.ā€

Xavi offers an insight into what Rijkaard might be preparing for the United game. Maybe Bojan [Krkic] and Messi with [Samuel] Etoā€™o up front, and Henry for the second leg? ā€œThe key will be not to concede a goal at the Camp Nou, and that is going to be very complicated,ā€ he says. ā€œBut if we do concede, we always score away. It is going to be very equal, much more than I am hearing people think it will be.ā€ Xavi smiles. He became a footballer for these kind of games and no one is going to spoil it.

That almost brought a tear to my eye. The passion of it it. He reminds me of the Spartans, trying to fight off the hoards of runners and chasers that he encounters by using his superior skill and technique.

Good article.

I met a chap at a party in Bray a few years ago who was in the same class as Xavi, he said he was absolutely sound.

Xavi is in a class of his own :wink:

Saw the entire Liverpool game in a bar in Poland. Riiise the fucking clown. Absolutely no threat from Chelsea and then a goal is just gifted to themā€¦

Didnā€™t see United Barca and only found out that Ronaldo missed a penalty last night so canā€™t comment on thatā€¦

You didnā€™t miss much. United had their back four in a line about 12 yards out between the width of the box and their five midfielders in a similar line a further 5 yards ahead of this. The 5 midfielders contained Rooney playing deep as an auxillary second right back and Tevez in the ā€˜Makelele roleā€™. They then pitched a few tents back there and proceeded to camp out for the entire 90 minutes. I think there was a stream or narrow little river up near the half-way line and Ronaldo was left isolated on the other side of this. He was seen waving and shouting at his team-mates back down in their own box but they ignored him and wouldnā€™t let him in the tents with the rest of them. He looked very annoyed with this and decided to play a game of rolling around on his own but it didnā€™t look like he enjoyed himself.

Very smart there Bandage. Great synopsis of the game.

Hopefully for the second leg that Scot lad gets Anderson on from the start and plays the players at his disposal in positions where they can do what they do best, expose defenses and annihilate teams.

I expect Barca to have the same side as last week with the exception of Puyol coming back in for the suspended Marquez. Itā€™ll be interesting to see if United storm out of the blocks and push right forward early on after the criticism of their performance in the first leg. I saw a funny quote from Ian St John yesterday about it. He said, ā€˜I wonder if the Barca players went into the United dressing room after the game last week and held up the ball to show them what theyā€™d been playing with for the previous 90 minutes.ā€™

Didnā€™t see the game last week so canā€™t comment really on St Johnā€™s quote except to say that for all Barcaā€™s ā€˜playing with the ballā€™ they never scoredā€¦

I must have said this a hundred times if I said it once - away goals more often than not win these matches. Unitedā€™s lack of an away goal would appear vital. Hereā€™s hoping its similar to a few years ago where they played Madrid away in the first leg and it was 0-0 and then a Redondo inspired Madrid ended up winning 3-2 in Old Trafford.

if vidic and rooney are out i can see barcelona getting throughā€¦hopefully ferguson picks a team to win the match and not a team to stiffle barcelonaā€¦

Super defending and workrate from United to get them through. Really disappointed from a football perspective not to see Messi get to play in the final though.

What all this with the RTE panel blowing their load over Scholes? Ok he got the all important goal and deserves credit for that but I thought he was shite for the rest of the game.

Barcelona were disappointing though - Messi apart who was like something from the heavens. Never really had any chances.

Come on the Pool tomorrow.

Barca passed it to death. United had all the chances. Park, Nani, Tevez and Ronaldo all could have scored. The lads were fantastic. The backline was superb. Rio and Wes stood tall and the Harg and Evra patrolled the wings well. Scholes took his goal wonderfully. Trademark goal from him. Dont care who United get in the final. Just know that United are going to Moscow. Just hope Evra is ok.