Chartered Accountants Ireland

Good to see that the Institute doesn’t rush into sanctions against members following convictions dished out by non-accounting people.

i see willie mcateer and seanie fitz are still registered.

did CARB ever take any actions against the auditors of anglo and INBS?

1 Like

:smile:

1 Like

CARB investigation into Anglo is happening now. Probably will be completed soon.

They deferred it because the DPP didn’t want to prejudice the case against the various bankers in fairness.

the ODCE did a bang up job of doing that :smiley:

AMRF being assigned and the tax implications of draw down…

talk to me people??

What happened with the ACA exams at the weekend?
I’m seeing widespread outrage on LinkedIn.

An IT shitshow

At the ACA end? I thought that would all be outsourced to some company that would run and proctor the exam?

Christy Kearney lost his shit altogether.

Online assessment worth 15% of one of the FAEs. Server crashed. Some people completed the exam only to find out it had been cancelled.

100% of marks will be for the final exam now.

1 Like

Accountants and bidness men like @Bandage and @Julio_Geordio and @Horsebox. Can someone axplain vat charges to me. A friend has an agent who charges X percent commission on earnings. Friend was surprised to see vat being charged on top of the percentage rate. Is this normal/legal? Is there a standard practice or is it governed by the contract between the two sides?

So he’s charging him 10% say and then throwing another 2.3% on it?

Is the agent Pat Dolan?

Yeah exactly.

He’s charging him for a service. The VAT rate on services is 23%. The fact that the price of the service is calculated based on earnings is irrelevant so it’s not really a percentage of a percentage.

Why wouldn’t it be

If your friend is vat registered he is just claiming it back again surely

Gangsters ted.
Of course when they allow an Enron or the like, they scuttle back into the woodpanelling.