Chartered Accountants Ireland

you mean KOB-trained? :smiley:

Just saw your avatar now, hard to reconcile the photo with the man!

Balbec & CCHA, is fellow a step up from basic membership? How does one set about becoming a fellow? I’d call on all TFK’s accountants to ignore Kevin’s cruel jibes about our morals. Based on a sample size of all the accountants I know, I conclude that accountants are valued and valuable members of society.

I find that accoutants have a fair degree of substance about them.

Many others are preoccupied with the legal form of arguments.

it means you have paid your sub for 10 years

Fuck that shit.

Very statesman-like

I worked for a big accountancy firm in Cork. Bar one hot girl who was a bit of craic, it was the most boring place in the world to work. An obvious stereotype, but its a stereotype for a reason i found. I have many friends who have become accountants over the years, and they have more or less all changed in the negative since their qualification. It can’t be coincidence. And its more than disappointing to see many also give up sport.

Also, accountants are behind many many bad bond selling, over charging and many other dislikeable traits in my experience of them. Also they are the worst, by a mile, to pay for anything. I have a number of accountants as clients over the years and they are by far the worst. More than once its had to go as far as solicitor letters to get paid. I always ask for half upfront with an accountant nowadays.

The firm where I did my accountancy training wasn’t actually like work at all. It was more of an extension of college.

Once you become qualified, naturally you have to up your performance levels considerably (given that your salary has doubled)or else you will be shown the door.

Ah i’ve no problem with working hard. Its just doesn’t have to be so dreary in there every day.

Where i was the trainees were flogged to death to be honest.

The way the company i worked for cut people the month after the Bear Sterns thing was frightening, and believe me, there wasn’t a need for it.

Of course you’re going to get different styles of accountant but the thing that we all possess in abundance is INTEGRITY.

Your making me laugh again bandage.

This thread is gone off topic.

Richard Gardiner was elected Chairman of the Chartered Accountants Ulster Society at its Annual General Meeting in Belfast today. The Ulster Society represents over 3,200 Chartered Accountants and is a district society of the Chartered Accountants Ireland, the largest and oldest professional accountancy body in Ireland.

Richard, who takes over as Chairman from Kevin Kingston, is a Partner in FGS McClure Watters.

Addressing the Society’s AGM, he stressed that the Society has a central role to play in the business community and a crucial contribution to make to the economic life of Northern Ireland:

“Through involvement in both the public and private sectors our members have a central role to play in the economy in the year ahead. Through the continued work of the Society we can support and inspire our members in the contributions they make both individually and collectively.

“We all recognise that this is a time of challenge and uncertainty within the business community. We recognize that the issues that we face have a local impact but are set within a much larger global context. There is little that we can do to control the global environment. However we can shape our response to that environment.”

He pledged that the Society would focus on supporting and inspiring their membership to make a defining contribution to the Northern Ireland economy.

“As a profession we are strategically placed to make a genuine and lasting contribution to building a stronger and more dynamic economy going forward.

“The choices and decisions we make now will have a profound impact on the future of our economy, our Executive and our community. I look forward to supporting our members in making great decisions and a defining contribution.”

Richard Gardiner is a very safe pair of hands. Just what the Ulster Society needs in the current challenging climate. I dare say larryduff will react positively to the news.

A brave decision to appoint someone from outside the Big Four as well.

I have no doubt Richard will deliver though.

Indeed, no disrespect to Kevin Kingston but the world has moved on and a less headstrong approach is required. Gardiner will only be as good as the members he represents but they’re a fine bunch up in Ulster.

I know Gardiner is seen as someone who can brings all sides together up here. He has (quite cleverly in my view) always positioned himself where he was neither seen as a ‘stuck in the mud traditionalist’ nor is he someone who was prepared to bring huge changes without recognising the role CAUS has played in the past. In essence while he isn’t everyone’s cup of tea no one could really call him a great enemy as he has positioned himself in the centre of the traditional versus modern outlook. Similarly Gardiner is someone who those in both public and private sectors can get behind. He has the common touch yet an authority about him that I respect. He’s as likely to be seen shopping for groceries in farm shop in Portrush as he is in the Marks and Spencer Donegall Place. From what I’ve heard though he won’t spend much in either!

Oh, I’ve heard the stories all right!

Did I read correctly in the business pages there recently that the Institute of Chartered Accountants have appointed their first female President? Is nothing sacrosant anymore.

I believe you were mistaken.

I have just been made aware that the payment of professional fees by an employer in now going to give rise to a benefit in kind.