Chorus vs Sky vs Freeview

Really? I find the streaming too unreliable-what sites do you use?

All of them.

I need a “not informative” rating for this post.

http://www.joe.ie/news/current-affairs/galway-lad-engages-in-epic-chat-with-upc-involving-foreplay-unicorns-and-macgyver/

[quote=“Rocko, post: 816725, member: 1”]UPC launched their Horizon packages officially yesterday.
They seem to be roughly the same cost, even a little cheaper, than existing packages and bring lots of benefits - including finally a new remote and EPG. Also allows you to watch via Apps and other “Smart TV” benefits like being able to browse internet on the tv etc.
@dancarter - you had a trial version didn’t you? How did you find it (apart from the bugs?)[/quote]

I’m not very techy so I probably didnt pick up on a lot of the flaws in it that others did (if you read the boards.ie thread about the trial there are fellas slating it, for many reasons most of which I didnt even understand) but I think the box is an improvement overall.

Key advantages

• You don’t end up defaulting back to “info tv” ever really. This was probably my biggest gripe with the entire service.
  • Remote is much quicker to change channel if you type in the actual number
  • Can record a lot more stuff onto the box
  • It says you can record four channels at once which I haven’t tried but I think a few times when I tried recording even two at once it didnt work properly. It did work on other occasions though.
  • Easy access to lot of different “players” but limited enough content available on them.
  • The section for apps might be useful if you didnt have an iPhone or equivalent, cant see why you’d access on the telly though if you did.
  • Have introduced a feature that if you are half way through watching a show you press record it records it back to start; Sky always did this don’t think UPC did till now.

Disadvantages

• Cant see how much you have recorded i.e. how much capacity used/remaining…very annoying.
  • To delete recordings you need to go into each episode individually…total about 5 presses of ok before it is gone…cant delete an entire “series” at once…this is carnage.
  • Delete all option right next to delete…so two wrong presses and instead of deleting one episode EVERYTHING on the box that is recorded is gone…absolutely ridiculous set up
  • Scanning what’s on etc is actually disimproved from previously. This is Sky main advantage, the ease of use from the remote is ten times better and more intuitive.
  • Think the series links and overall recording experience is buggy…not that reliable with plenty stuff failing to record for me.
  • Press reminder when a show is on, they just don’t appear, ever as far as I can see!

So that’s pretty much it off top of my head. Service has worked pretty consistently, iv had to reboot the box once in about 12 weeks. Probably would have been same with old box. Broadband still excellent, they upgraded my speed as part of trial. A lot of the problems listed above are just annoyances, but I am surprised they are rolling it out without them being fixed. Summary, better than it was, but the TV offering still a mile behind Sky.

Inspired by @Bandage and his attempts to single-handedly reinvigorate the economy I have decided to splash out on a new TV.

Was looking at Samsung smart TVs. Was wondering if any of the more tech-savvie folk here reckon are they worth it? Can’t get UPC so broadband is just about 12MB.

i think consensus on Smart TVs is that they don’t do things as good as stand alone devices so you won’t surf the net on it etc. However TV companies are pushing them so most of their mid to higher end range is all Smart TV.

My view would be to spend the money on a non Smart TV as you won’t use a lot of the features on a Smart TV and you are better off buying an Apple TV and a tablet instead.

[quote=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 836747, member: 2272”]i think consensus on Smart TVs is that they don’t do things as good as stand alone devices so you won’t surf the net on it etc. However TV companies are pushing them so most of their mid to higher end range is all Smart TV.

My view would be to spend the money on a non Smart TV as you won’t use a lot of the features on a Smart TV and you are better off buying an Apple TV and a tablet instead.[/quote]
I think I’d agree with that. Some of the smart tvs are just standard issue now so there might not be a huge premium but I think spending that extra on a tablet or something would make a more appreciable difference.

Anybody switch to UPC Horizon?

A big improvement on the old platform

[quote=“Fran, post: 836821, member: 110”]Anybody switch to UPC Horizon?

A big improvement on the old platform[/quote]

See my comments 4 up.

Any of these resolved by now? Don’t think so

BT have signed an exclusivity deal with AMC (similar to Sky and HBO) so they’ll be starting a new channel to show AMC content and films from September.

Jesus, on the phone here to Sky. It is harder to close an account than set one up.

Press the button to upgrade they’ll answer you straight away

Ah their entire system is a shambles.

Trying to open an account with them in a new house without a landline. They give you a specific number to ring if you haven’t got a landline.

So you ring the number and the first thing it asks you to do is input your landline phone number.

Jesus fucking christ.

I did an extensive post recently on the “examples of poor service” thread about the travails of dealing with Sky. A more useless shower you will no find

I have to get a new service soon. All advice welcome. Anyone know much about Vodafone TV?

Lads, anyone here have Sky Q? Is it any use? Any big advancements recently in either eir or Vodafone TV?

You given up on black devil lounge?

Mate got a dreambox he is delighted with it

1 Like

Not at all. Moving house in a few weeks and need something for a core package. BDL is perfect for Sports, Events, Racing UK etc but Mrs Mac needs something for recording all her soaps that she half watches while reading crap on her phone.

Sky Q was very dear when I looked into it anyways

Feedback on eir TV not great