Jack Ross' Mackems Thread

Keep the updates coming please, gents.

West Brom pressing now but not really causing up much bother. Wickham looks a threat from the left wing.

That was a great chance

AJ has been very quiet.

Looking at the bench we really could do with some defensive reinforcements

We need a centre back and I’d like another left back too.

Vergini and Jones injured, not sure if Diakite is being frozen out or what.

Is Mannone the best keeper in the league?

Ah that is shit defending - Anechebe went down very easy though

Pentaly to the ball baggies.

Gustavo is fuming.

Fletcher has done very little so far

Any of you chaps see Ashley Young’s dive a little while ago? :smiley:

1-1 with 12 minutes left.

Gomez was a smashing signing by Gus.

Solid point for the Black Cats. :clap:

Looks like Ricky Alvarez and Virgil Van Dijk will be joining. If we can add Borini and another left back then it will have been a great window for us.

I see we had an emphatic win in the Cup last night as well. QPR away at the weekend, we will surely keep our unbeaten start to the season up.

It appears that Virgil van Dijk will be out of the room before he finishes the question, he has told Dutch TV that he wants to compete at the highest level, and it seems someone has told him that can be found in Sunderland, which will disappoint him when he finds out it’s not actually a country where gold rushes straight out of the river into your hands, the women don’t charge for an evening out and Europe is simply a place where they go for their holidays. It is , in fact, a rather desolate place on the east coast of England where flowers die shortly after you plant them.

fair point pal.he’ll never adjust after living in Glasgow…

he stayed in Edinburgh

Gus Poyet believes Lee Cattermole can emulate his former Sunderland team-mate Jack Colback and earn a place in the England squad.

Cattermole has improved radically under Poyet’s management at the Stadium of Light and, although they are very different midfielders, many north-east football watchers are surprised that Newcastle United’s Colback received a call up ahead of Sunderland’s enforcer.

“Lee needs to say: ‘If I keep performing the way I have been, then sooner or later I’m going to have a chance,’” said Poyet. “ I think there’s a big opportunity for English midfielders after the decisions of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard to retire from international football. If Jack Colback and Fabian Delph don’t take their chance this time, maybe another player will come into consideration – and that could be Lee.

“It’s up to Roy Hodgson but if I was the England manager I would definitely pick Lee because I like his character and the way he plays the game. If, like me, he was Uruguayan there is no doubt Lee would be picked for the national team, because we like that type of combative player.”

Cattermole’s discipline has tightened up appreciably in the past year but he still reminds Poyet of his old friend Dennis Wise. “There’s something of Dennis in him,” said the former Chelsea midfielder. “They are similar characters, they play in the same position, they hate losing, they improve the team and, now again, they show their frustration.

“Wisey was important, he was a leader and he helped the others maintain concentration. You need players like that. Wisey was the main person at Chelsea, we all followed him and were led by him. Now we are a different team when Lee is on the pitch; maybe that will help him get in the England team.”

There was a time when Cattermole served as a magnet to red and yellow cards but he rarely lunges in with quite such reckless abandon these days and, having adapted to Poyet’s possession-based game, is proving a much better passer than many people believed.

“Lee finished 20 games last year without being sent off,” said Poyet. “He’s enjoying his football and we lose the ball less now. We are defending less so he doesn’t have to make so many tackles but, in any case, that side of his game has improved dramatically.”

Alvarez on loan with €8.5 million option to buy will be confirmed tomorrow. Coates expected to join on loan as well