CIS Cup - Celtic v Livingston

Just read the report on BBC and it seems like it could have been anything.

Unusual stat - Maloney has won penalties in each of the last 3 games.

Yeah he has quick feet and that wins penalties. I’d like to see Aiden do that a bit more sometimes. Get his man tracking back until he has him in the box then send him for pie and chips and give Sammy the ball for the spot kick.

Livi were muck to be fair but we played quite well. Even McManus! He made one interception in the first half and strolled forward and threaded a ridiculously pacy and accurate through ball to McGeady or someone overlapping wide left. You’d swear he meant it with the way he was shaping for it if you hadn’t been following his career.

the atmosphere was meant to be brilliant- not being a season book game probably led to that(was it on the book?)

Scotty Brown’s goal is worth a watch

http://www.zshare.net/video/192938169ade41cc/

http://dl45.zshare.net/stream/6c01722039601a813480a377cfe7115e/1222208815/19293816/3-0%20Brown.wmv

Quality goal and we’ve scored some great team goals already this season. Pity we fooked up against the Huns and Aalborg but the season’s young yet.

[quote=“Bandage”]Quality goal and we’ve scored some great team goals already this season. Pity we fooked up against the Huns and Aalborg but the season’s young yet.

[/quote]

yeah pity we messed up in the 2 most important games of the season so far but hey in WGS we trust.

looking good for a decent run in the CIS which is most important

[quote=“thedancingbaby”]yeah pity we messed up in the 2 most important games of the season so far but hey in WGS we trust.

looking good for a decent run in the CIS which is most important[/quote]

Really? My main target is to win the league again and either get to the Champions League knock-out stages or win the UEFA Cup. But hey, each to their own I guess.

Which would you place top priority, League or Europe?

Surely a good European run similar to Rangers has to be needed at this stage?

Well that involves finishing third in the CL group and I’d still be hoping for second place and maybe getting into the quarter finals as the aim.

League is very important though and will be crucial with the changes to European qualification next year. Second placed team in Scotland will have a difficult route to the CL.

I’d prefer the league to be honest but I don’t think it should be a case of prioritising because we can achieve success in both.

[quote=“Rubber Johnny”]Which would you place top priority, League or Europe?

Surely a good European run similar to Rangers has to be needed at this stage?[/quote]

Obviously they’re not mutually exclusive but I’d prefer to win the league if the choice was between that and going on a European run in the continent’s second-tier competition that ultimately ends up without a trophy. Loads of Celtic supporters wouldn’t have traded getting to the final in Seville in 2003 for the League but I’d personally have preferred to have won the League rather than ending up with nothing. My perspective is that a run in the lesser competition (UEFA Cup) only becomes really worthwhile is you go on and win it. In that sense, I’d much prefer to advance to the Champions League last 16 or last 8 in the premier competition above losing a UEFA Cup final.

I think there was something different about Seville in that it was the first time Celtic had been in a European final in thirty odd years and it was the first time a Scottish club had been in a final in twenty odd years. So there was a sense of importance to it, and a hope that it might pave the way for more repetitive European success in future years. Remeber Celtic hadn’t survived in European football after Christmas in an awful long time so the UEFA Cup run brought a confidence and even an ambition to the club that was sorely lacking.

But I don’t think a UEFA Cup final loss this season would be on a par with that because it wouldn’t be as unexpected. I still think the profile of winning the competition stands up though. The world knows about Russian football now and it has helped CSKA and Zenit attract players (well that and the ridiculous money they seem to have).

[quote=“therock67”]I think there was something different about Seville in that it was the first time Celtic had been in a European final in thirty odd years and it was the first time a Scottish club had been in a final in twenty odd years. So there was a sense of importance to it, and a hope that it might pave the way for more repetitive European success in future years. Remeber Celtic hadn’t survived in European football after Christmas in an awful long time so the UEFA Cup run brought a confidence and even an ambition to the club that was sorely lacking.

But I don’t think a UEFA Cup final loss this season would be on a par with that because it wouldn’t be as unexpected. I still think the profile of winning the competition stands up though. The world knows about Russian football now and it has helped CSKA and Zenit attract players (well that and the ridiculous money they seem to have).[/quote]

I take your points about Seville signalling the start of Celtic making proper European inroads again after an absence of many years, and the club has progressed in Europe since then (Artmedia excepted), but it still ultimately ended with being a losing finalist in Europe’s second-tier competition. At least we went about it in the right manner and had some great games against Liverpool, Stuttgart, Celta Vigo and in the final against Porto rather than defending en bloc and playing for penalties in every game. That said, I’d still prefer to have won the league that season rather than being UEFA Cup runners-up. As for Zenit and CSKA, I reckon money’s the prime incentive for players heading there. Other sides like Feyenoord have won the UEFA recently enough and don’t attract the calibre of player anymore.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1060591/Sporting-birthdays–September-24.html

runs away…

I’d argue that Feyernoord and Celtic failed to captialise on their success/near miss. It’s hard to make sustained progress from outside the big leagues anyway - for all their glory Porto proved that by fading back into the second tier of teams almost immediately after winning the CL.

But there’s a confidence about the Celtic side in Europe that wasn’t there before Seville. And that’s definitely a good thing. And without that progress we’d be in a very poor state - it’s European football that appeals to the likes of Samaras, Crosas, Naka, McGeady, Boruc and without striving for success at that level we’d become a very mediocre club.

We are hugely dependent on (relative) success in Europe to finance the club. So you can’t start excluding the league at the expense of Europe or the other way around because Europe finances the league but the league gets you into Europe.

[quote=“myboyblue”]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1060591/Sporting-birthdays–September-24.html

runs away…[/quote]

Utter cunt of a man. Full of media swagger and shite soundbites and living up to Scottish stereotypes to satisfy English audiences. Granted he was a decent player back in his day, scored a shit load of goals and was part of successful teams. But he hates Celtic (I guess it’s bred into him) and that is the single most defining characteristic he has for me.

McCoist is a wanker too though. Hard to choose between them.

why do you find Ally McCoist a wanker rock…i quite like ally he comes across as a sound skin and he knows his sport…

on a slightly different note:
i haven’t seen any mention of andy gorams pub being attacked after the address was put up on huddleboard but yet ye are very quick to condem people when neil lennon gets attacked…

I’m away to lunch now but Andy Goram’s pub ‘attacked’. There was graffiti painted on the outside wall and you’re comparing this to physical assaults on Neil Lennon. Given Goram hangs around with loyalist killers, I’m not going to lose any sleep over someone painting ‘Tiocfaidh r L’ on the wall of his pub. Puke, there’s a job waiting for you in The Scottish Sun if you grasp it.

i am only going by what i read bandage…

1. It was as much a comment on Craig Burley as McCoist. Anyway I hate huns and hun apologists.

2. Actually didn’t know Goram had a pub or that it was attacked - haven’t been on the HB that much at all recently.

3. There’s a big difference between attacking a building and attacking a person, though I guess that depends on whether there’s people in it or not.

4. I’d say that if Goram does have a pub then it would be fairly common knowledge and I doubt the HB posting the address would make much difference to the likelihood of an attack. Bit like if Cork fans attacked Pidi S’s pub was attacked after the address was put up on peoplesrepublicofcork or whatever. I’d guess the two weren’t related.

Is this the same Andy Goram who posed in front of a UVF flag and wore a black armband in a match after Billy Wright got killed in Long Kesh? Thought it was.

Serves the cunt right.