City Breaks

I told you it is massive Orange country.

Lads, any recommendations for a restaurant in around the west end of Londinium?

Gaucho on Swallow Street

Just sitting in Krakow airport having thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of days there. For anyone with an interest in World War 2 Krakow is simply a must. Auschwitz is close by and much of the Schlindlers List relates to Krakow. Schlindlers ‘factory’ is in the town.

To be honest I don’t think I have fully taken Auschwitz in. Things that struck me was the sheer size of Auschwitz Birkeneau and the fact that you were most probably walking on human ashes. You just wonder how such a thing could happen only less than 80 years ago.

But it’s not all doom and gloom. Krakow is a beautiful city with a vibrant night life. Polish beers are simply wonderful and most pubs are in the cellar which creates a lovely cut stone effect.

The people are friendly, helpful and relaxed also. I would highly recommend Krakow.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1130895, member: 24”]Just sitting in Krakow airport having thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of days there. For anyone with an interest in World War 2 Krakow is simply a must. Auschwitz is close by and much of the Schlindlers List relates to Krakow. Schlindlers ‘factory’ is in the town.

To be honest I don’t think I have fully taken Auschwitz in. Things that struck me was the sheer size of Auschwitz Birkeneau and the fact that you were most probably walking on human ashes. You just wonder how such a thing could happen only less than 80 years ago.

But it’s not all doom and gloom. Krakow is a beautiful city with a vibrant night life. Polish beers are simply wonderful and most pubs are in the cellar which creates a lovely cut stone effect.

The people are friendly, helpful and relaxed also. I would highly recommend Krakow.[/QUOTE]

The Polish birds don’t like it up em. Did you do the salt mines or pop up around Zakapone at all?

Visiting concentration camps all week, sounds like a right laugh, a really positive, uplifting experience

Twas only the jews, pal.

We contemplated the salt mines but decided against it. It was more expensive than the Auschwitz day trip and it is much nearer to the city. We heard ‘very overpriced’ reports about it as well.

I never heard of the other thing!

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1130912, member: 24”]We contemplated the salt mines but decided against it. It was more expensive than the Auschwitz day trip and it is much nearer to the city. We heard ‘very overpriced’ reports about it as well.

I never heard of the other thing![/QUOTE]

I would have thought a business man like you woud have laughed at the price- From what I remember it wasn’t over priced and is worth going to see- only 2.5 hrs… but the place is getting more and more touristy by the year. Lovely city tho.

Zakapone is the mountain region outside Krakow -traditional way of life etc. etc. Big skiing resort too.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1130895, member: 24”]Just sitting in Krakow airport having thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of days there. For anyone with an interest in World War 2 Krakow is simply a must. Auschwitz is close by and much of the Schlindlers List relates to Krakow. Schlindlers ‘factory’ is in the town.

The people are friendly, helpful and relaxed also. I would highly recommend Krakow.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a blast. Did you propose under the “arbeit macht frei” sign?

that’s complete bollox…anyone I know who ahs experience reckons they are machines in the sack…awful jealous though…hard to stick them long term

[QUOTE=“ChocolateMice, post: 1130914, member: 168”]I would have thought a business man like you woud have laughed at the price- From what I remember it wasn’t over priced and is worth going to see- only 2.5 hrs… but the place is getting more and more touristy by the year. Lovely city tho.

Zakapone is the mountain region outside Krakow -traditional way of life etc. etc. Big skiing resort too.[/QUOTE]

Krakow is a gem pal.

A joke, pal.

I’ve had the pleasure once and it was unreal.

I’d say the food is just as horrendous as I imagine in Poland, is it?

At least I didn’t buy my bird.

I’ll take that as a yes :smiley:

Any bison wodka knocking around? Apple flavour

It’s unreal. Great stuff altogether- good old comfort food- Irish food with some thought gone into it. Pork, cabbage, spuds, soups all huge but used inventively

[QUOTE=“ChocolateMice, post: 1130914, member: 168”]

Zakapone is the mountain region outside Krakow -traditional way of life etc. etc. Big skiing resort too.[/QUOTE]

A cunt of a place. The Kilkee of Krakow.

You should have given me a shout. Where were you staying? Some rainstorm last night.,