City Breaks

[QUOTE=“ChocolateMice, post: 1130914, member: 168”]I would have thought a business man like you woud have laughed at the price- From what I remember it wasn’t over priced and is worth going to see- only 2.5 hrs… but the place is getting more and more touristy by the year. Lovely city tho.

Zakapone is the mountain region outside Krakow -traditional way of life etc. etc. Big skiing resort too.[/QUOTE]

If you get the mini bus to Wieliczka and queue for your ticket the salt mine is cheap. The guided tours are the rip off.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1130895, member: 24”]Just sitting in Krakow airport having thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of days there. For anyone with an interest in World War 2 Krakow is simply a must. Auschwitz is close by and much of the Schlindlers List relates to Krakow. Schlindlers ‘factory’ is in the town.

To be honest I don’t think I have fully taken Auschwitz in. Things that struck me was the sheer size of Auschwitz Birkeneau and the fact that you were most probably walking on human ashes. You just wonder how such a thing could happen only less than 80 years ago.

But it’s not all doom and gloom. Krakow is a beautiful city with a vibrant night life. Polish beers are simply wonderful and most pubs are in the cellar which creates a lovely cut stone effect.

The people are friendly, helpful and relaxed also. I would highly recommend Krakow.[/QUOTE]

Glad you liked it.

It was indeed.

Puro Hotel. Beside the train station and big shopping centre.

Great location.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1131091, member: 24”]It was indeed.

Great location.[/QUOTE]
Ah yeah, I stayed around there first time round.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1131091, member: 24”]It was indeed.

Great location.[/QUOTE]
yeah that’s a good central spot. I was up the road from it this morning in the Andels hotel at a business meeting.

Anybody ever been to Geneva? Worth hanging around for a weekend if one was on international business on a Thursday and Friday? Maybe there are better weekend city break options nearby? Please advise. I’ll simultaneously check a map and do some googling.

are you in to riding prostitutes?

One of the dullest cities in the world.

Thanks, Fagan. Any other views on Geneva?

Lyon seems to be the closest city of any size. Nothing too exciting nearby.

[QUOTE=“Bandage, post: 1141040, member: 9”]Thanks, Fagan. Any other views on Geneva?
[/QUOTE]

Soulless and over-priced.

Should make you feel at home

Spent a few days in Seville this week. A fine city. There was sweltering heat but it didn’t bother me because we Limerickmen thrive in sweltering heat.

3 Likes

Im off to Lisbon next week for a couple of days. Anyone has recommendations?

I believe the wifi there is sensational

14 Likes

Can get very rainy there this time of year. About 15 degrees at the moment. Nice city. They have a cherry brandy kind of drink that they sell in little kiosks in the street, worth having a shot or two.

1 Like

Definitely use one of the days to take the train to Sintra. It is worth it but it’s a day trip- the castle grounds are vast.
Get the custard cakes too, you’ll read about them everywhere.
I really like Lisbon, I love the funicular and street elevators.

1 Like

Nightlife doesn’t begin till 1 in the morning… It will be a ghost town at 8/9 O Clock bar a load of roasters complaining how shit Lisbon is because it has no nightlife… Said roasters were out for the dinner at 5.30 and back home in bed by 12.

Rain, cherry brandy and custard. Could a place be any better.

2 Likes

black men that look like hobos sell personal

1 Like

Please do revert to us how it goes pal and your thoughts as i am planning on maybe going there later in the year myself.

I’m hearing very good things about the Oceanarium