King Henry of Galway (Part 1) 👑

??? “The 15 years that they gave it a go” - explain please.

The aristocrats comment referred to the footballers, incidentally.

[quote=“Jimmy Mc Nulty, post: 740199, member: 1168”]??? “The 15 years that they gave it a go” - explain please.

The aristocrats comment referred to the footballers, incidentally.[/quote]

Sorry, coffee hadn’t kicked in and I mistakenly thought it was hurling. I won’t let it happen again.

Amended now:

[SIZE=12px]Galway were always HURLING aristocrats in the All Ireland for the 15 years that they gave it a go and only had to win two matches in a year.[/SIZE]

[quote=“croppy_boy, post: 740201, member: 306”]Sorry, coffee hadn’t kicked in and I mistakenly thought it was hurling. I won’t let it happen again.

Amended now:

[SIZE=12px]Galway were always HURLING aristocrats in the All Ireland for the 15 years that they gave it a go and only had to win two matches in a year.[/SIZE][/quote]

Good man you’re really making sense there. Have you the black and amber headband ready for September?

[quote=“croppy_boy, post: 740201, member: 306”]Sorry, coffee hadn’t kicked in and I mistakenly thought it was hurling. I won’t let it happen again.

Amended now:

[SIZE=12px]Galway were always HURLING aristocrats in the All Ireland for the 15 years that they gave it a go and only had to win two matches in a year.[/SIZE][/quote]
You’re the only one I see calling them aristocrats.

As regards the giving it a go comment; I find this a rather ironic statement from a Wexford man, a county that stopped giving it a go well over ten years ago. For a once proud Hurling county, ye now seem to enjoy lying down and taking regular pummellings from your Kilkenny neighbours.

While I’m at it, I may address the 2 games a year comment- you’d swear to God that Galways semi-final opposition in them years had come through marathon slogs in the Munster or Leinster championships.

The truth is that in Munster, Cork only had to worry about Limerick for a couple of years, because Tipp were shite from the early seventies up till around the mid eighties, as were Clare and Waterford. In Leinster meanwhile, Kilkenny and Offaly only had to worry about each other, as Wexford had stopped giving it a go sometime in the mid seventies.

[quote=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 740181, member: 686”]Joe Cooney has been given his chance to nail down No 6.

Looking forward to Sunday.[/quote]

He’s actually good a good paw and has good close control when soloing or just moving out of trouble. Cons are he always tries to catch it shefflin and the like will flick it down from above so he just needs to realise that. His striking is a small bit slow too, especially when he’s backpedalling but I’m sure he can improve. Regan has faults but there was no better option at 6 last year or the last few years. He’s strong and relatively solid. But he did create problems in the Leinster final and all Ireland by holding on to it too long.

Galway lads losing the run of themselves again in February

Some things never change

[quote=“Jimmy Mc Nulty, post: 740207, member: 1168”]You’re the only one I see calling them aristocrats.

As regards the giving it a go comment; I find this a rather ironic statement from a Wexford man, a county that stopped giving it a go well over ten years ago. For a once proud Hurling county, ye now seem to enjoy lying down and taking regular pummellings from your Kilkenny neighbours.

While I’m at it, I may address the 2 games a year comment- you’d swear to God that Galways semi-final opposition in them years had come through marathon slogs in the Munster or Leinster championships.

The truth is that in Munster, Cork only had to worry about Limerick for a couple of years, because Tipp were shite from the early seventies up till around the mid eighties, as were Clare and Waterford. In Leinster meanwhile, Kilkenny and Offaly only had to worry about each other, as Wexford had stopped giving it a go sometime in the mid seventies.[/quote]

Clamped! When you realise further that no only did Kilkenny and Wexford usually only have one opponent to worry about at provincial level they then had a 50/50 chance of drawing ulster teams in the semi and bar one year getting a virtual bye into the final. I’m sure Kilkenny got to finals when they only had to play the likes of Wexford and Antrim. Not their fault they can only beat what’s there, Galway had to beat good provincial champions to get there.
And for someone from Wexford to slag Galway, for Kilkennys supposed traditional rivals the manner which Ye’ve bent over in front if them for the last decade has been quite startling. I’m sure there’s more clubs and hurlers in Wexford and Offaly but that ignorant shower put up way more of a fight when they play Kilkenny. Ye do absolutely nothing at underage and yere club championship is a joke, when was the last Wexford team to play in an all Ireland, rathnure getting hockeyed by barefield in the 90s was it? While another Offaly club reaches a final this year. Any explanation to why yere a laughing stock?

[quote=“Jimmy Mc Nulty, post: 740207, member: 1168”]You’re the only one I see calling them aristocrats.

The truth is that in Munster, Cork only had to worry about Limerick for a couple of years, because Tipp were shite from the early seventies up till around the mid eighties, as were Clare and Waterford. In Leinster meanwhile, Kilkenny and Offaly only had to worry about each other, as Wexford had stopped giving it a go sometime in the mid seventies.[/quote]

Well over ten years ago? Leinster title in 2004 disputes that.

Somtime in the mid seveties? all final appearance in 1977 would dispute same.

[quote=“maroonandwhite, post: 740213, member: 1406”]Clamped! When you realise further that no only did Kilkenny and Wexford usually only have one opponent to worry about at provincial level they then had a 50/50 chance of drawing ulster teams in the semi and bar one year getting a virtual bye into the final. I’m sure Kilkenny got to finals when they only had to play the likes of Wexford and Antrim. Not their fault they can only beat what’s there, Galway had to beat good provincial champions to get there.
And for someone from Wexford to slag Galway, for Kilkennys supposed traditional rivals the manner which Ye’ve bent over in front if them for the last decade has been quite startling. I’m sure there’s more clubs and hurlers in Wexford and Offaly but that ignorant shower put up way more of a fight when they play Kilkenny. Ye do absolutely nothing at underage and yere club championship is a joke, when was the last Wexford team to play in an all Ireland, rathnure getting hockeyed by barefield in the 90s was it? While another Offaly club reaches a final this year. Any explanation to why yere a laughing stock?[/quote]

and yet we have more titles than ye and more recent ones.

sing all day about underage this and club that, chokers when it counts.

No I can’t see Rathnure going well at all this year to be honest. Paul; Codd is way past it.

[quote=“maroonandwhite, post: 740213, member: 1406”]Clamped! When you realise further that no only did Kilkenny and Wexford usually only have one opponent to worry about at provincial level they then had a 50/50 chance of drawing ulster teams in the semi and bar one year getting a virtual bye into the final. I’m sure Kilkenny got to finals when they only had to play the likes of Wexford and Antrim. Not their fault they can only beat what’s there, Galway had to beat good provincial champions to get there.
And for someone from Wexford to slag Galway, for Kilkennys supposed traditional rivals the manner which Ye’ve bent over in front if them for the last decade has been quite startling. I’m sure there’s more clubs and hurlers in Wexford and Offaly but that ignorant shower put up way more of a fight when they play Kilkenny. Ye do absolutely nothing at underage and yere club championship is a joke, when was the last Wexford team to play in an all Ireland, rathnure getting hockeyed by barefield in the 90s was it? While another Offaly club reaches a final this year. Any explanation to why yere a laughing stock?[/quote]

Wexford Defeated Dublin, Offaly (All-Ireland Champions) and Kilkenny on their way out of Leinster in 1996.

Easy win a few underage championship when you’re beating Roscommon in the Connacht final - if there even is one, and then possibly an Ulster team in the semi.

Galway had to rely on John Denton to get a few All-Ireland and bitched and moaned when Tony Keady was suspended for breaking a GAA rule.

[quote=“count of monte cristo, post: 740218, member: 348”]and yet we have more titles than ye and more recent ones.

sing all day about underage this and club that, chokers when it counts.[/quote]

More recent ones? Plural? Ye have one, which was without a doubt the worst team to win an all Ireland in the last 30 years, won by butchering limericks free taker in the first few minutes. The introduction of the back door and second chance ended forever the possibility of Wexford winning an all Ireland. Ye can’t get lucky twice, ye did once in 2004. Ye have nothing to crow about in underage or club so it’s rich enough saying that. Yere a bad joke. I’d say your hoping other lads will row in behind you as this is a Wexford majority forum. I don’t see them making any outlandish claims. They must know their hurling, your showing yourself up badly here.

As Galway found out in 2013, 2005 and 2001.

Wexford didn’t concede a free in the second half so that made no difference. Do you know anything about hurling?

What a comeback. So are you going to attend the all Ireland and secretly shout for Kilkenny or not. Are you not a decent enough sports fan to give a ticket to someone from a competing county. Or have you already come I the realization that that will never be you. All this blather about Galway and no conversation about where Wexford are at the moment. Do you even have an informed comment to make?

See above, and my ticket went to a Galway native last year.

Still though we reached all Ireland’s all those years. How did ye do with yere one stroke of luck again? I’m sure ye made good use of it.

Hammered by a Cork team that hammered Kilkenny in the final. How did Galway do against Kilkenny that year?

Got hammered by Kilkenny. Ooh you got me there. How have the teams fortunes fared out since? Would Wexford not be better dropping down to a lower competition and winning it to restore some sort of confidence? I’m serious. Or can you honestly say here they’ll win a Leinster never mind all Ireland in the next ten years.

Yes we’re on the way back. Dropping back to a lower competition for the sake of winning it is a ridiculous idea. If that was the way things worked then why did Galway beg to be included in Leinster for so long?