King Henry of Galway (Part 1) 👑

You remember as a neutral, fair play. I was at the game and just remember Jim Cashs second half tour de force

My Dad is a Corkman and we had a video of both finals that year which was watched on almost a fortnightly basis when I was a chap. The football was awful but the hurling was brilliant.

Some things never change

The Tipperary club in New York is run and always has been run by people from Tipperary ffs.

Plus one. Loads of them.

When you think of how small a club Killimordaly is, and the fact that it has historically haemorrhaged players to neighbouring Sarsfields and Athenry, it’s amazing to think that two of Galway’s most stylish players of the 80s came from there - Eanna Ryan and Tony Keady.

As attacking centre backs go, Keady was one of the best. He was a wild one, an artist of the great game, but above all he was a gentleman.

At dheis lamh De go raibh a anam uasal.

7 Likes

Wouldn’t know where to start with Tony Keady… I didn’t know the man personally myself only to greet him the odd time at the gym in Oranmore.

Everyone seemed to know him, everyone loved him. A huge character in his chosen home of Oranmore. His family aside the biggest loss will be felt up in Calisancious college in Oranmore where he worked as a caretaker and hurling coach. A teacher friend of ours was at the house earlier in complete shock, he was a huge part of everyone’s daily life up there.

He’s leaving 4 kids behind, the youngest being twins boys of age 10. His only girl was dup to play for Galway U16 camogie at the weekend.

He was Farrells general on the field. 100% believed in his own ability but could always back it up.

Some wonderful tributes being paid but a family lost their corner stone today and that’s tragic.

34 Likes

Very well said KP.

RIP

1 Like

:clap::+1:

I really don’t know what to say. This has upset me greatly.
I feel.for his family. May he rest in peace.

1 Like

My condolences to the Galway lads, hurling folk in general and most importantly his family on the passing of Tony Keady RIP. A top quality player and clearly a gentleman, my memory of him is of a man with an independent mind.

Not for him the banalities of the muckfest of the Burlington on AIF night where you’re damned by ruddy faced muldoons with porter/gravy stained shirts intent on battering solid fuck out of you in their drunken enthusiasm.

Nor for him the fawning scutter uttered by humourless cunts “the quality of ball into us was unrale Marty” or "the defending of our backs in the last quarter was phenomenal Ger"……Unadulterated shite.

Tony, having excelled, was happy to have a few simple scoffs with his own kind, who would have been as charitable to him win or lose. An outstanding decision.

A tip of my hat to you good Sir and the light of Heaven to you.

23 Likes

Muller on Newstalk right now

Bizarre post

It was a fantastic post by @caoimhaoin. Not the time or place for your snide digs. Leave it a day or two, out of decency, and resume your normal service. Good lad.

10 Likes

It wasn’t. Mourn the poor guy without a needless dig at McGregor

3 Likes

It was a commentary on the state of irish values

I think you have expised yourself enough recently. Step away from the thread

2 Likes

http://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-hurling-pays-tribute-late-tony-keady/

A lovely 45 minute interview here with Tony from 2016.

2 Likes

17 Likes

“You shall not pass!”

5 Likes

“The chain”

“To have those two beside you was just great. You’d hate when you’d miss a match or one of them would miss a match and the chain would be broken. They were two serious operators, no doubt.”

3 Likes