Native Peoples Thread

Leo visiting or the native Americans offering money/food?

@anon61878697 could you reach out to @anon61956325 and recommend some books/reading material in relation to the history of Native Americans.

Are any of the S.C Gwynne bookes worth a read?

I wonder did he drop them in a few bottles of firewater?

Hello my brother -

If youā€™d like a nice easy read to begin with iā€™d recommend Neither Wolf nor Dog - itā€™s set in a modern landscape and a real life interaction between white author and old time native and through his interviews with the old timer we get a take on native history, religion, culture and the differences in the way natives view the world. Itā€™s a nice story that shows the plight of the native, both old and new.

If you want a more formal, factual type book - I enjoyed ā€˜An Indigenous Peoples History of the United Statesā€™ by Roxanne Dunbar Ortiz. Itā€™s one you can dip in and out of.

2 Likes

Available on audible :ronnyroar:

great news

Hello Robert. I think you might be ready to read ā€˜Black Elk Speaksā€™. If you truly understand it then all other books will be as useful as the fat son of lazy squaw and bad hunter.

thumb_who-the-fook-conor-mcgregor-is-that-guy-raiders-fans-54649694

Youā€™re not ready

My good e buddy @anon61878697 is a proud Lakota. Iā€™m Choctaw myself. Fuck the white man

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. I finished it on audible earlier today. An interesting and enjoyable book. Poor Dan lived quite a life and had a very interesting story and wisdom to share.

1 Like

@Mark_Renton what do you know of Squanto

Mark wouldnā€™t know a lot on him. He lived many moons before Rentonā€™s people moved out of Minnesota to the plains and many days ride to the east.

Renton thinks you might like the story of Chief Joseph. Chief of a small tribe who tried making a dash for Canada like sitting bull ā€¦ But his story isnā€™t as well known. Put up a serious fight with a small band.

You might also like the story of Quanah Parker, Chief of the Comanchesā€¦ The Comanches were my Lakota cousins and fought the US for 40 years. Arguably the greatest stand of all natives. Quanahā€™s mother was white, she was taken as a 9 year old and adopted into the tribeā€¦ Thereā€™s a book on him actually, Empire of the summer moon.

1 Like

White like us roasters or white like you and Rocko?

Roaster white like you pal.

1 Like

Very sad to read

2 Likes

https://t.co/FZtWF6YDyS

From the gofundme bio

YESTERDAY
by Vanessa Tulley, Team Member
Several of our recent donations for our GoFundMe campaign have been inspired by the Great Hunger Famine in Ireland which started in 1845.

During this difficult time, in 1847, the Choctaw Nation provided $170 of relief aid to the Irish to help them (today that is the equivalent of $5,000). Not long before the Great Hunger Famine in Ireland, 60,000 Native Americans, including the Choctaw people, had suffered through the experience of the Trail of Tears. The death of many people on the Trail of Tears sparked empathy for the Irish people in their time of need. Thus, the Choctaw extended $170 of relief aid.

173 years later to today, the favor is returned through generous donations from the Irish people to the Navajo Nation during our time of crisis. A message from Irish donor, Pat Hayes, sent from Ireland across the ocean: ā€œFrom Ireland, 170 years later, the favour is returned! To our Native American brothers and sisters in your moment of hardship.ā€

The heartache is real. We have lost so many of our sacred Navajo elders and youth to COVID-19. It is truly devastating. And a dark time in history for our Nation. In moments like these, we are so grateful for the love and support we have received from all around the world. Acts of kindness from indigenous ancestors passed being reciprocated nearly 200 years later through blood memory and interconnectedness.Thank you, IRELAND, for showing solidarity and being here for us.
#thankyou #solidarity #bloodmemory #ireland #navajonation #hopiNation #indigenousreliefā¤ļø

1 Like

Great people are donating to a good cause but the choctaw nation helped during the famine, they have no connection to the navajos. Sure the navajos might as well send thanks to belgians at that rate. The irish government should do something right for those choctaws after the famine donations though. A bit of housebuilding to advertise our wares never went astray.

2 Likes