Comrade Patty Cosgrove - Irish Hero

My aunt went to NY in early sixties. She said there was so much food she put on two stone in six months and had to diet. It was a shock to go from Connemara to Manhattan. But America was considered safer than London then.

She married a man from Boston. He said they were so poor he was, as a baby, put in front of oven in a basket to keep warm. His brothers fought in WW2 and survived. I asked him if that was a big thing to fight and he said no as all the men in neighbourhood of same age were off at war.

They never had kids. They would come back to Connemara on holidays up to early 80s. Her husband - my uncle - used to laughingly complain about how complicated the old money was with pounds shilling and pence and then he got to know it and they changed it.

He was a lovely lovely man. I was obsessed with cowboys and Indians and as he was American he assured me his best friend was a chief. He’d had a horse with two tails so cowboys didn’t know what direction he was going. He’d say my auntie rode side saddle behind them and quickly shush my laughing as she approached.

Later he thought me to wolf whistle with my fingers. I adored him. When they went home I’d get all the Irish change left over. I remember their airline travel bags (like sort of over shoulder old football bags) and how exotic it all was.

When my grandparents died my aunt’s visits slowed and then stopped. She got very upset coming home and then having to leave and eventually she stopped flying. When I was older I’d visit them in Boston.

Her husband died a few years back and his family mind her and are great to her. She’s about 87 now. She’s had a lovely life, was adored by her husband and his family and my other aunt in Boston and her family , but I think that emigrating and not having kids meant she carried a certain ennui or sadness.

My mother’s two brothers in Chicago fell out but that’s another story.

17 Likes

:eek:

Quick Google search tells me that Ireland has the 20th best healthcare system in the world :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/best-healthcare-in-the-world

A lovely little country to live, love & do bidness

Absolute cunts….

You tell that one lovely

Paddy throw out big bucks. Only hope is the staff have evidence. Anyone else involved wouldnt bend down to pick that money up

Does Paddy have a girlfriend?

Doubt it. If he did I would imagine she would bw put out by his obsession with Leo.

Exactly

1 Like

Don’t think there’s room in the relationship between paddy and his ego

My pal got married in registry office that day and had a meal with both sets of parents in the Merrion after and saw plenty of the Zap party. His dad used to work with one of the civil servants at it and he came over to sit at their table a few times :joy:. Paddy could pay for the proper wedding next month in one foul swoop.

The bill for the stag drinks and pizzas would take another Paddy donation though Cc @Lazarus

5 Likes

I’m sure he will use this to have a go at Leo & Co.

1 Like

Paddy paying people to inform. He’s worse than the British.

3 Likes

He understands the Irish psyche

2 Likes

How would that sit in with the Shinners :sweat_smile:

I think anyone woth info would go somewhere other than the village or paddy too. Surely someone would take the story. Not all media is corrupt either. Biased yes

The MSM don’t seem too bothered with reporting on these issues or doing some investigative journalism.

Sure mainstream media broke the story in the first place :joy:

3 Likes

And what a wonderful job they have done at finding out who was there

@tallback in full on spin mode as usual.