Confederations Cup 2009

Anyone know if Italy get a player sent off tonight will he be suspended for World Cup Qualifiers?

It’s all kicking off here. 10-man America have just gone 1-0 up through a Landon Donovan penalty. It’s threatening to boil over all the time. Italy are lacklustre - could do with an infusion of youth in their team perhaps.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/SWC_2010/0,2-9-2188_2356051,00.html

Fifa gives Vuvuzelas thumbs up

Johannesburg - Fifa confirmed on Friday that South African football fans will be allowed to bring traditional Vuvuzelas to matches at the 2010 Soccer World Cup.

Permission to allow fans to bring the noise-making trumpets to the stadiums was granted after a debate that lasted several hours, during which time World Cup organisers managed to convince football’s ruling body that the instruments were essential for an authentic South African footballing experience.

Fifa had expressed concerns that the instruments could be used as weapons by hooligans or by businesses to have an advertising presence in World Cup stadiums.

Desperate news. Lower-key matches attended mainly by locals will be a struggle to watch with that racket.

AS Roma’s Daniele De Rossi showing his sheer class with that 30-yard strike. Just after Kenny Cunningham had a concerted go at him. Shut up and take your dancing eyebrows with you, Cunningham.

What a fooking goal - awesome by Pirlo. Deadly game. International football is an utter pain in the sack during the season. All games should be played in a 6-week window at the end of the season - tonight’s game has been super.

:D:rolleyes::clap:

all hail DDR - the 2nd best footballer in the world

[quote=“Phil Leotardo”]Anyone know what is the deal with non-stop sound of fog-horns going off at football stadiums in South Africa?

Sounds like a trivial thing but it absolutely bugged the hell out of me last night watching some of the Spanish match. It is such a droney non-stop sound to be coming out of one’s television so ended up flicking over as I thought I’d get a bloody headache!

Noticed also when Man Utd were playing pre-season there and Setenta (I think) were showing their games.

I can see it annoying me during next year’s World Cup if the stadiums end up full of locals.[/QUOTE]

I love them, I think they add to the atmosphere. Don’t see what the problem is, air horns were always used by fans in European football and in GAA up to recent years. Atmosphere at football matches in all codes now tends to be shit. People sit down and stay quiet rather than being able to stand on a terrace and chant or whatever. English football grounds are like morgues nowadays. Anything that adds to the atmosphere should be encouraged.

They add fucking nothing to the atmosphere. Ideally, an atmosphere is created by two sets of opposing fans making noise and colour. Sometimes it’s just one team.

The local gobshites turning out with these stupid fucking horns is the most false atmosphere imaginable. It’s a meaningless tournament, the locals should just enjoy the football without trying to pretend they’re from a different country. Cunts.

[quote=“Sledgehammer”]They add fucking nothing to the atmosphere. Ideally, an atmosphere is created by two sets of opposing fans making noise and colour. Sometimes it’s just one team.

The local gobshites turning out with these stupid fucking horns is the most false atmosphere imaginable. It’s a meaningless tournament, the locals should just enjoy the football without trying to pretend they’re from a different country. Cunts.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

What about all the goons on RTE mixing up Rossi and De Rossi time after time? Gobshites. Bit of a waste of licence money if you ask me.

The more noise in the stadium the better as far as I’m concerned.

Almost as confusing as the time the Baggio brothers played in the 1994 World Cup.

Up to a point - but not when the people making all the noise are wearing shirts of a foreign country and pretending to be from that country. It’s totally plastic.

http://209.85.62.26/12529/15/emo/th_smiley_egyptian.gif

Agreed but the sound of those vuvuzelas is the most annoying non stop tedious drone I have ever heard at a sporting event. You just can’t beat the natural sound of a crowd getting passionate and excited through songs/chants/drums but with those horns all of this gets completely drowned out.

Last night I tried my best to ignore it while watching USA v Italy but again I just could not hack it for more than 10 minutes without feeling the urge to switch over.

There seems to be heaps of complaints springing up across the net and I can see FIFA hopefully making a call that they should be allowed for South African games only in 2010.

Freddie Adu where are you?

He was on the bench last night. He must be about 45 now.

:rolleyes:

77 minutes gone and spain lead Iraq 1-0…David Villa with the goal