Congress 2009

pity,it will suit the northies & the more dirty cynical teams, the players were against but the stats which showed that there were less cards,less frees & more time with the ball in play should not have been ignored

Good, would agree withh most of what WTB said above, the application of the rules are inconsistent and until this is dealt with then changing the rules wont make a differnece.

They had a purpose in the football but should not have been incorporated in the hurling…We need to stop trying to have the same rule book for both codes…Two vastly different games

yes, hurling as a game flows well , football has got worse with all the dragging, the off the ball blocks etc etc

Delighted, these rules are an utter joke foisted on teams by the GAA because they don’t have the balls to enforce a consistent disciplinary policy or give enough support to referees.

Saddened Wexford supported them.

Bit confused about Cork - may be a recount necesary here, as in Cork actually voted FOR something…

I think the fears most had was with their impact on the club game buddy. Personally I saw this driving people away from it, and we must not forget, Inter County is where the smallest number of players play, at the end of the day the GAA is about the Clubs and the Club player, much and all as Donal g and his coonts seem to forget that.

Agree with that.
I think the biggest issue is the standard of referees. It must be political or something, but the young good referees down here are still not getting the adult club championship games. I think if a guy is good, confident and wants it he should be given the Senior and Intermediate games early on. Some of the refering is absolutely dreaful.
I was somewhat in favour of the rules to a degree in football, there was some good open games in the league this year. Don’t think they were suited to hurling at all.

Hunger for some sort of change is clearly there. I would have liked to see what would have happened if votes were taken separately for hurling and football.
It hasn’t worked for the hurling but there may be something learned from a football point of view.

Anyone hear Nicky Brennan yesterday, his final parting shot to the GPA?
Said the GPA had been looking for a fixed percentage of all the GAAs income (gate receipts i suppose) and this was the big stumbling block for him and the one which essentially ended all talks during his reign.

Was this in the public domain before? i hadnt heard it.

What a bunch of cunts they really are.

[quote=“HBV*”]
Anyone hear Nicky Brennan yesterday, his final parting shot to the GPA?
Said the GPA had been looking for a fixed percentage of all the GAAs income (gate receipts i suppose) and this was the big stumbling block for him and the one which essentially ended all talks during his reign.

Was this in the public domain before? i hadnt heard it.

What a bunch of cunts they really are.[/QUOTE]

I read that in the paper yesterday, I had never heard it before anyway HBV, a hugely interesting bomb tossed out by Brennan. I think its plain to see what Gardiner and his crony coonts want and its not the betterment of Cork GAA thats for sure.

football is getting too cynical so changes need to be made but i agree with the naysayers saying that someone could train all his life for an All Ireland final & a mistake in the 1st few minutes could lead to a yellow & a sending off

not sure why the vote isnt a straight 50.01% wins?

This seems too big to be largely ignored by the media the last few days but it has, this is basically the GPA telling the GAA they want some of their money, not grants, not expenses, but part of their income.
I take my hat off to Brennan for lobbing this one out there as he makes his exit.

[quote=“north county corncrake”]
not sure why the vote isnt a straight 50.01% wins?[/QUOTE]

I read before why this was, but its a Monday morning and the head is blown off me. To be honest I’m glad it is.

Bit of a bloody nose young LiamO this one.

But surely if you “wait for the referees to be capable of consistently” implementing the new rules, then you’re waiting forever? Is it not common sense to think that maybe refs need time to adapt to the new rules and learn to apply them properly - like, more time than just a few months?

Pretty happy that the rules were defeated as I don’t think there’s anything fundamentally wrong with the rules as they stand.

[quote=“HBV*”]This seems too big to be largely ignored by the media the last few days but it has, this is basically the GPA telling the GAA they want some of their money, not grants, not expenses, but part of their income.
I take my hat off to Brennan for lobbing this one out there as he makes his exit.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, i’d have been critical of Nicky, but he’s bang on here. Fuck them.
I must say i got a little emotional when he spoke about Cohany Shamrocks winning last year, you could really see and hear what it meant.