Contenders for the greatest song of all time

In typical fashion I’m going to say that there are at least five better Simon and Garfunkel songs.

1 Like

None evoke the same emotional response tho I’d say.
I agree that they’ve a couple of better songs but there’s something very moving about bridge over troubled waters…which is the true measure of art.
But art is also subjective so youre right too buddy

1 Like

Possibly yeah

Bridge Over Troubled Water is an awful dirge. It should strictly confined to its natural habitat which is the folk mass at 6pm on a Sunday evening in Rathmines Cathedral which me Mam used to bring me and me brother to occasionally circa April-June 1990.

It’s better than “Grace”. I’ll give it that at least. But listening to my next door neighbour trying to force out a thick shite would be better than Grace.

1 Like
1 Like

This isn’t the greatest song of all time but like bridge over troubled water it tugs at the emotions . Cat touches on that most awkward of all relationships- Father and Son.

Cat won’t win the accolade but i think he’d like the company in here. It’s a song from an album I’ve loved since i was about 10.

3 Likes

This is one of the few songs that can reduce to me to a blubbering mess in a few seconds.

I think they used to play it at the same folk mass in Rathmines I was on about previously, except that unlike Bridge Over Troubled Water it’s fucking awesome.

Nanci Griffith - From A Distance

Louise Duffy played it during the week.

1 Like

That’s a brilliant song mate.

The only drawback to it is Cat Stevens endorsing Boyzone covering it.

:grinning:

We all have our issues i suppose

Black and gay.

‘You think that my pride was gone? Oh no!
Something inside so strong’

1 Like

Joe Meek. Mad bastard.

He was behind this though from 1962.

My aul lad turns 90 today. This reminded me I must give him a call.

4 Likes
1 Like

Every time i see / hear meek i minded of…

it’s the meek!! Oh, it’s blessed are the meek…oh Im glad they’re getting something as they’ve had a hell of a time.

You’re really pushing the boat out there

1 Like

BB King - The Thrill is Gone… The guitar in this :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Smokestack lighting… fuck it… if this doesn’t make you gyrate your little general then youre dead inside.

2 Likes

I saw him play it live in the National Stadium 35-40 years ago.

2 Likes