Copa America

Was there not silverware up for grabs when John Barnes but the Brazilians to the sword at the Maracana in 1984?

Belo Horizonte. Ewan’s bailiwick.

The Ronnie Biggs Shield?

It was still a home game played in Brazil, correct?

@Cheasty referred to competitive home games at the Maracana.

Doh! Missed the Maracana bit.

Don’t beat yourself up. I originally absentmindedly posted “competitive home matches” instead of “competitive home matches at the Maracana”. You posted your reply before you saw the quick edit I had made.

Angel :clap:

1 Like

The hero and leader of Argentina

1 Like

Apparently he was absolutely shite all tournament and all the Argentine press wanted him dropped

1 Like

Di Maria is past it but in Argentina’s moment of glory he brought it as he has done for Argentina all through his career. Di Maria has been Argentina’s main man this past decade and deserves all the credit, he has outshone the bigger names

Even more impressive so

He hadn’t scored in 3 years

2 Likes

I was reading there that Messi had the most goals and assists in the tournament and was chosen as Player of the Tournament. Can’t do much more than that.

1 Like

So what?

When others have gone missing in the big games. It’s been Lion Di Maria who has dragged his team through with him. Football is a game as much between the ears as it is between your feet. Di Maria is the type of guy you’d go to war with.

There’ll probably be an edgy comment next that Diego Maradona was shit in the 1986 World Cup that he didn’t score in the final when Lothar Matthaus largely shackled him and that Jorge Burruchaga was the main man.

His injury cost Argentina in 2014, was having a good tournament.

Every great player shit the togs the majority of the time i think is the consensus we came to a few days ago.

You would in you bollix go to to war with this fella

1 Like

He’s a winner and he stands up when it counts.