Cork weirdo/sicko thread

Was in the Rob Roy this time last year.

Two of us in there, minding our own business when about four uniformed Gardai barged in and headed straight for the toilets down the back. They pulled out three gurriers and proceeded to interrogate them in the pub. The three scumbags gave them plenty of lip, one of them whipped the phone out and was recording the Guards.

After about five mins of a stand off all three of them were frog marched out the front door. Absolutely surreal.

Finished our drink and fucked off sharpish. Soho is a bit uppity but I must confess I like it.

Tis far from uppity really. Havent been in it in a while was always a northside haunt in my experience

Rob roy used to be a grand place but was in there one evening and was full of hobos

Cork would be a fine city if it wasnt inhabited by so many cunts.

4 Likes

Limerick is the best city in Ireland

Soho is actually full of wannabe posh norries

Here we go with this faux Northside v Southside shite :zzz: :sleeping:

That’s not a thing mate, good humoured banter is all. Most of the Cork posters here are country boys anyway except meself and former poster @ChocolateMice

Did you ever go to any of the combinations of Barrs/Rockies v. Glen/Na Piarsaigh in the 80’s or 90’s???

Or i believe there was an element of it woven into Hibs-Celtic back in the day too.

Its a thing alright.

Norries are woefully sensitive about somethi gs. Southsiders generally not as much so. 99% is banter. But its talked about every day in various places of employment or pubs around Cork

My own grandmother lived on Barrack street without a pot to piss in for most of her life and used to talk about the ‘hungry northsiders’ in an ancient form of banter, neither side would want it any different but it’s almost 100% craic

I work with a lad from Ballyvolane who revels in being a norry. I dont think there is half the negative connotatuons in Cork as there is in Dublin

Oh they love it in ways. It makes them distinct.
But i have seen them get extremely defensivea nd their back up too about things.

Living in some parts of it back along was tryely depressing. Some of the stories of life around the Glen is horific.

1 Like

Lot of drugs and joyriding up there in the 80s and 90s

I’m talking way way back. Real slums.

Possibly the worst slums in Europe about 100 years ago and for a good bit thereafter were in Limerick City, Cork City was bad and Dublin was terrible too. Incredible to think how far the country has come really. We’re only a generation removed from peasantry really in truth.

Would Waterford and Galway have the same history of poverty and slums in the city lads would ye know, genuine question. Interested in in that type of social history. @Fagan_ODowd @ChocolateMice or anyone else?

1 Like

It was a big problem in all the cities, Waterford was as bad as limerick

What area would the worst slums in Waterford City have been?

1 Like

There were slums all over the City Centre. When I was growing up the granny of a friend of mine lived in what could only be described as a hovel off of New Street. Then there were bad slums up off Ballybricken near the jail. This was where the famous child soldier Johnny Condon came from. And further out the Yellow Road there was a slum where Barrett Place is now.

4 Likes
1 Like

Great news

1 Like

Great news for the area alright…just as long as I don’t need to go to that abomination of a fucking place.