Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

Cork needs to import some outside talent.

A.S.A.P.

You’ve forgotten what hurling os all about.

Ronaldo will probably be club free after the summer

1 Like

It’s tragic really

I thought Cork were really bad today. This isn’t about sticking the boot in or anything like that, but it was septic stuff tbh. If I was from Cork, I would be so disappointed in that performance. It’s like they learned absolutely nothing from last year’s All-Ireland final.

As we know in Limerick, underage success doesn’t necessarily equate to senior success. But it’s certainly not a bad thing. Cork had gone a fair few years without significant underage success so the last couple of wins are probably important. But they didn’t come easy, it took an awful lot of work to get to the stage where they got over the line. And it will a lot lot more to get senior success, I think, it’s not just going to happen.

Need the right manager, the right coaches, the right backroom team as well as the players. I saw an awful lot of the Cork 20s teams in 2020 & 2021, I feel like I know them pretty well and they were good at that level, but I don’t know if there’s much more to come from them. There are fellas who were good underage players that are probably a good bit off senior hurlers (even those with supposed attributes that Cork are lacking). Maybe with some really good coaching, they’ll bridge that gap, the likes of Gillane didn’t look like a senior intercounty hurler aged 20.

Cork do have some very good hurlers but they also have a number of very, very flawed hurlers and I don’t really see an improvement in those flaws year to year and that would have to be concerning from a Cork pov. I’m genuinely annoyed at how poor Cork were today, I really didn’t think they’d make the exact same mistakes as last August.

10 Likes

Good piece
Truth hurts at times and this is one of them
We need a complete outsider well before next year starts properly
Carrying passengers

We said that in 2002 though

1 Like

In fairness to Lehane, there is a big change in his attitude compared to before he was dropped and now. He is far more prominent without the ball in terms of support runs and harrying.

Problem is that he still isn’t all that effective despite upping the workrate. He got blown out of it a number of times today contesting ball, but I suppose it is some consolation that he was competing and in those positions to do so because he wouldn’t have been consistently a couple of years back.

2 Likes

I’ve been calling this fella out for 4 years now. He’ll get a couple of scores but he’ll go missing for 68 mins… He epitomises the current cork team.

1 Like

The new Galway

He’s a very skilful player but that alone won’t cut it at IC level. Looking at it from the outside he always seems to be the fall guy when it goes pear shaped. Hauled off in the league final too.

His work rate now is probably superior to Horgan’s but they will never take Horgan off, even when he’s contributing relatively little from open play nowadays. There is being loyal to players but Fitzgibbon and Horgan, in particular, seem to get very favourable treatment in comparison to Lehane.

Before yesterday I thought Cork would get out of Munster but after yesterday you’d have to think Clare and Tipp will really fancy it. The All-Ireland seems to have been put down as one of those days and they have completely ignored major structural, personnel and tactical flaws.

1 Like

Cork and Tipp are poor, Clare will come out of Munster

1 Like

I couldn’t get over Hoggy tapping over that free at the end.

2 Likes

Never mind pet

I agree, at that stage they had to go for it. Either lack of bottle from management, or pure selfishness from Hoggie.
At least he is closer to becoming the highest scorer in championship history…

1 Like

He was 20 pts off the all time championship scorer at the start of the match. Hoggie wants greatness

It was probably because of the score difference he took the point

Those Lehane/Barrett goal chances, sweet christ. :rofl:

1 Like

I wouldn’t write off Tipp just yet. The Cork v Tipp match could well be a knockout game.

1 Like

Tipperary can walk away from yesterday a lot happier than Cork.

4 Likes

I have visions of the Cork lads at training all comparing their immaculately clean boots, hurleys etc

They seem to be a bunch of choir boys really.