Coronavirus - Dig In, It's going to be a while yet

I know. It has ever been thus.

To blindly believe any of them is a dangerous place to be in

2 Likes

That must have been her so :joy:

1 Like

His 6 o’clock news report was basically a party political broadcast for FG

So you prefer to believe the local authorities arrested her, put her in jail and forced her to update her social media?

Ok mate

Has George any Fine Gael links?

There is literally no censorship in the US and little in Europe, people are free to post whatever shit they want on social media. Have you heard of the first amendment? I can say whatever the fuck I like in this country, short of actually threatening to kill someone, and even there the government would have to prove I was planning to do it.

To equate western censorship with CCP censorship is Sidney levels of stupidity. Where do you think Radio Free Europe get their information?, from sources within China who are brave enough to speak out. Some fucking human rights warrior you are.

It’s literally mind boggling that you are defending actual Nazis, the shower of absolute cunts responsible for Tienanmen square and locking up millions in labor camps.

3 Likes

You’re right there,

The chinese are using face recognition technology on their own people who are going to buy food in supermarkets at the moment.

They’re gone to a very dangerous level in terms of security.

There are very few people on this forum who have defended actual Nazis. To the best of my knowledge, you’re the only one to do so when you agreed with Trump calling actual Nazis at Charlottesville “very fine people” in 2017.

Who equated US censorship law with Chinese ones?

The trustworthiness of the ruling regimes of the US, China and Russia were equated.

On current form you’d have to say China is probably the least untrustworthy of them, untrustworthy as they are.

The Russian and the US regimes would be the exact same in terms of trustworthiness, given that the US regime is a subsidiary of the Putin regime.

And at least China doesn’t have a record of consistently manufacturing fake evidence to go to war with countries on the other side of the world, like the US does.

They may be protected by the constitution but when the President of America consistently brandishes anything painting him negatively as “fake news”, that’s a form of censorship. Its shutting down one side of the story.

I didn’t equate different forms of censorship, you projected that.
I didnt defend human rights abuse, you projected that.
Human rights abuse is despicable wherever it happens.

I just choose not to believe a border line conspiracy theory piece from a US agency reporting on Chinese matters.

Same as I wouldn’t believe a Chinese piece reporting on U.S affairs

1 Like

She’s a pain in the hole

1 Like

Us over here in the UK are seething we didn’t get an honourable mention.

Not a superpower, the US little brother

I think you will find regarding lies we are.

What’s really come home to roost is the capitalist idea of making people stupid through media, though it has been coming home to roost for years.

English language countries are bedevilled with this, though it’s certainly not exclusive to them. Ireland, like New Zealand and Canada gets away relaatively lightly in comparison to their bigger neighbours.

But the US, UK and Australia in that order, all have appalling problems with right-wing media that has turned large sections of their populations into selfish, individualistic, materialistic, education-rejecting, passive (against untrammeled corporate power) yet reactionary (against the marginalised) racist cunts.

This was specifically the goal of Rupert Murdoch who dominates the media in all three of those countries and it has been the goal of the Republicans, the Tories and the Australian Liberal party. We all know about Fox and the myriad of right-wing propaganda media in the US and UK, but so much daily programming on both TV and radio is designed to promote stupidity and vacuousness and the internet ramps the cult of the vacuous self up to an interminable level.

It feeds into everything. Rejection of science, rejection of reason, rejection of truth, rejection of a commonality of humanity, rejection of empathy. They call it “the marketplace of ideas”, which means that stupid, abhorrent or plain wrong opinions all have equal validity and equal “truth” to expertise, reason and actual truth.

It’s how we got Brexit and Trump, it’s how we get the rejection of acknowledging the climate crisis, it’s how we got the rejection of dealing with COVID-19 because "the economy. It’s how we get all sorts of charlatanism which offers no hopeful view of the world, only a dystopian one filled with constant existential threat. The right-wing charlatans manufacture fake existential threats which they push relentlessly - they blame immigrants for everything, they blame the EU, they blame “liberals”, they blame “spongers”, but when two real existential threats come along - the climate crisis and COVID-19, they call them hoaxes or treat them with far less seriousness than they treat the fake threats.

The utter vapidity of right-wing politics and the cruelty and sadism that is at the heart of it has been laid bare. Intentionally sacrificing hundreds of thousands of people (many of whom voted for right-wing parties, incidentally) to the ideology of the “market” is a fitting and inevitable denouement for such a rotten and evil ideology.

2 Likes

The opposition to Trump is alive and well mate, tune in to MSNBC or CNN every night and you will get the other side of the story. There is no shutting down one side of the story, unless media outlets have been taken off the air while I was typing this. Do you actually watch any US media?, Trump took about 10 questions from Jim Acosta yesterday, who is the most anti Trump reporter you could imagine. If Trump wanted to control the narrative he would only have Fox News at his press conferences.

There is nothing conspiratorial about the CCP shutting down any criticism of it, or people disappearing who don’t get the message the first time round. That’s not based on anything I read in the media, it’s based on talking to people who have lived in China and fled the place.

1 Like

Apparently MSNBC and CNN are the US Government now.

At least according to the Chloroqueen.

Fox news appeared in the news section of my dodgybox yesterday so more entertainment for the working day. The ads during the day are almost all lawyers advertising compo services (the boyscouts of america one was a little surreal) and pills or some other class of quackery with the odd copper pan set thrown in.

Labane, mate, Trump takes questions from everybody. He just doesn’t answer them in any helpful or informative manner, even the softball ones he gets from this OOAN crowd - he still sounds like a street corner wino on a non-stop rant. He’s not censoring the media though, just frustrating the shit out of them which will play to his unshakable base and see him a long way to a second term all depending on where the world is whenever.

You’re obviously a media hound and have said (correct me if I’m wrong) that you do not support Trump. How should the non-Fox media be dealing with him in your opinion bearing in mind that asking him questions, especially anything requiring detail, nuance or intellect, is useless for the reason I said above.

3 Likes

Sid’s getting worked up again.

1 Like

Dangerous times.