Coronavirus thread - 19/10/2020 - The Day Ireland Died

Even with a negative test (not detected) still have to self isolate for 14 days. It’s a nonsense.

I am due my results tomorrow. No symptoms in any of us.

because it means they are ripe for restrictions, even with a small number of cases, because of how the incidence is calculated

Exactly, because of their population

no because of their cases. the cases is the only variable here.

the 100k constant is to get the incidence rate so it can be compared to other areas.

the number of cases over a 14 day period lads.

1 Like

You described Leitrim as unlucky because even with a small number of cases their incidence rate per 100k will be high. This is obviously because of their relatively low population.

Can you not just admit this and everybody can move on?

4 Likes

I’d say the wife was a false positive

Sweet sufferin Jesus. You must be WUMMING. But case you’re not:

County A has population of 100,000 and 250 cases in the last 14 days

So incidence rate of 250 per 100k for County A

County B has population of 200,000 and 250 cases in the last 14 days

So incidence rate of 125 per 100k for County B

A random person in County A is twice as likely to have a case asbin County B, even though case numbers are the same.

No other county in the country with population of 5 million has any cases

So incidence rate of entire country is 10 per 100k
i.e. 500 divided by 50 (since there are 50x 100,000s in 5 million.

Replace county with city and country with county above to see how a county might have a low rate, but certain cities might be locally much higher.

no. they are unlucky because of their cases and the selection of 100k as the constant. if they had less cases they’d have less of an incidence rate.

the overall population isn’t bringing the incidence rate of Cork down.

of course if you look at LEA’s the incidence rate could be higher if there are a disproportionate amount of cases in that area to the rest of the LEA’s.

but it does not bring the incidence rate of Cork down

the number of new cases is the important figure.

I’d imagine you would like to know considering you’ve elderly parents, no?

Interestingly (to me anyway) the rate of community transmission has been on the decline now for 5 months, from a high of 67% in April to 29% now. It has sat between 33% and 29% since the 2 July notwithstanding the various iterations of lockdowns and openings up since then. The rate attributable to foreign travel flatlined at 2% in May. Close contacts have been accounting for 66% plus of transmission for over 3 months now.

3 Likes

A negative test tells me nothing according to HSE.

I am clear to return to normal life quicker with a positive test.

I’m hoping, given I have no symptoms, for a positive test and maybe immunity.

2 Likes

That makes sense given who they are testing - close contacts within last 24/48 hours only.

This is what they said at the start of lockdown, that one of the big shortcomings of a lockdown is that most transmissions occur in the home.

Yes, Leitrim’s rate per 100k will jump up after any decent sized cluster because it has a small population so a small cluster is proportionately bigger for it than the same cluster would be in Dublin.

It wouldn’t matter if the HSE used cases per 100k or per 50k or 1k or just a percentage or whatever, Leitrim would take a bigger jump with fewer cases.

Until the new days’ cases are less than the corresponding day 14 days earlier.

The roadmap was honestly some balls. I don’t know who could keep up with all this now.

Will they send another million updated roadmaps out in the post?

How many critical days left guys? We must be down to the last two or three before we can all chillax again.

So I can’t call to my friends but can head to the pub with them?