Coronavirus thread - 19/10/2020 - The Day Ireland Died

Do they tho?
now take the emotion and personalization out of the post and look at this purely coldy and objectively, ie from a numbers perspective.
We know from March-June this is a boutique illness that has a very respectable kill rate in virus terms reserved for those primarily over 80 and who are incarcerated in care homes ( like any other flu says the man) but in this instance it has proven to be most deadly for that subset of the population.

In that period march to June was ICU ever flooded with C-19 patients? or did those old folk not even make it in that far?
since March have we any evidence at all that would suggest ICU is going to be inundated with people?
I dont see it now and we certainly didn’t see it then.

lock down care homes. absolutely lock them down because at the moment they clearly are not and let the rest of the population get on with it.
If elderly people are also vulnerable and not in care homes. albeit do we in this country have many cases where folk in their 70s not in care homes died in the spring? if yes they also need to take cover
If data shows we are wrong and people under 65 are streaming into icu then let’s change plan and experiment again with restrictions but at the moment there is no data that justifies them

6 Likes

George Lee should be sacked.

1 Like

Thought Martin did well.

He’s like a fucking headless chicken out there

Ni Neart go cur le cheile

What is the best we can hope for in 3 weeks? Cases/ICU/Hospital numbers are hardly going to fall

This will go on till Christmas by looks of it

Bar any mention of support for the emplyees and business’s he’s closing down again I wouldn’t disagree

He wasn’t awful. And better than Leo and his playing to the gallery.

It’s a lie. That’s “open” beds.

There were 500 available at peak Covid along with a further 312 in surge capacity. Hospital politics plays a big role here and given Varadkar retweeted the European bed situation for Dan O’Brien this morning, I expect he pointed that out to them. NPHET has dumped that dishonesty in their letter.

George Lee continues to parrot the falsehood as well.

1 Like

Ní neart go cur le chéile lads. Ní neart go cur le chéile.

Champ did well there to be fair.

No one dead again from this deadly virus again today.

Have we any details on the two poor souls who passed away on Saturday?

Or the other 8 mentioned which seemed to happen before Limerick won the 2018 AI.

3 Likes

Ní neart go cur le chéile. Tå an då sheachtain eile ríthåbhachtach

1 Like

Lee rambling on about the modellers

Has Gearoid Whelan mobilised the magpie battalion @Copper_pipe?

I want to assure you that my circumstances haven’t yet been impacted by COVID-19. Despite this, I’ve consistently been pushing to OIUTF since around May via abusive twitter attacks on various individuals. I am with you.

2 Likes

We should do a pool on the date we get back to Level 2 or better.

I honestly don’t see it happening before February at the very earliest if the current incoherent fear mongering leadership pedalling disproportionate restrictions stays in place.

The NPHET letter to the government

https://assets.gov.ie/89950/7a01b63b-8fff-483c-b967-298ffdadbda8.pdf

1 Like

Shoneen

It’s striking how there is no reference to the criteria in place to determine what prompts Level 5. Very little mention of the roadmap and the structured planning and transitions that they are supposed to adhere to.

It’s a bizarre letter. They wrote it almost as though this was the first ever meeting on Covid-19. The language is subjective and borderline emotive.

5 Likes