Cost of building

Ya, but they have always existed. I know what a fire door is, and while it’s an important aspect it’s only one of many.
My queries are about responsibility. I did the safe pass a few weeks ago and the guy there was of the opinion that certifiers take on most of the responsibility. I think that’s fairly difficult and unbalanced.
In practical terms I cannot see an architect, no matter how good and knowledgable he or she is, being able to cover all bases. Something’s don’t crop up for a couple of years.

Really what’s going to happen is not much more than before. I think certifiers should be independent. They should hold a qualification from any of the ones mentioned already or say a Master Builder or Carpenter.

What you need to take away is the element of some contractor or professional waiting to be paid. Believe me when guys get stressed all sorts of corners are cut.

Anybody watching Room to Improve on RTE there? €280,000 on that 2 bedroom commercial conversion. :eek:

Plus 105k to buy the building.

€90k I thought I heard Patricia Power BSc,ASCS,MRICS,MInstCCES saying.

They bid €90k, bought it for €105k.

You listened to a woman on building matters?
She was clearly wrong in her statement at the end.

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 1080719, member: 1786”]You listened to a woman on building matters?
She was clearly wrong in her statement at the end.[/QUOTE]

Was only half listening, :oops:

Such tv shows are driven by vested interests.

I was just reading back over this there looking for Jimmy’s name.

What structural inspection would you expect a certifier to do in the new system? As in what is expected of him?
And what will most likely be done in reality?

@jimmy29 - move fast, I got offered PAYE work today at 19.50 an hour. That’s significantly up on what lads were getting even 5-6 months ago. It’s expected to rise as well. If a builder will give me that he’ll charge you 25+ for someone.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1080905, member: 273”]I was just reading back over this there looking for Jimmy’s name.

What structural inspection would you expect a certifier to do in the new system? As in what is expected of him?

@jimmy29 - move fast, I got offered PAYE work today at 19.50 an hour. That’s significantly up on what lads were getting even 5-6 months ago. It’s expected to rise as well. If a builder will give me that he’ll charge you 25+ for someone.[/QUOTE]

Not sure I’d agree to be honest Kev. Some chippys have been on that money for quite a while, but nothing stable about it. Very fluctuating from 18 to 25 dependent on all range of things. I haven’t seen anything to suggest that there is a rise or that a rise is coming. general labour rates haven’t budged in years, and no sign of that changing. Labour agency work have plenty of staff availability so are still paying out little but doing OK in getting returns.

Rates may be rising in Dublin, but elsewhere as you said they are pretty much static.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1080905, member: 273”]I was just reading back over this there looking for Jimmy’s name.

[/QUOTE]

All you are going to get and all you need is someone to sign off on the building to certify that it’s built in accordance with Building Regs. ie the building is not going to fall down anytime soon

The lad who put me in touch with the builder owns a labour hire company, he’s a mate. He said the ratio of applicants to jobs has changed dramatically in last 3 months.
In a couple of months he thinks that with the work his clients have ahead he’ll get to the point where he’ll struggle to fill jobs. It’s a supply &demand issue. There hasn’t been a big uptake in trades in recent years either so everything is heading to somewhat of a skilled labour shortage. That, and this is his opinion, people are heading back to spending and building again.
Plenty chippys were working for 100 euros a day up to recently enough.

A few big infrastructure projects starting up now too.
Know of a few lads who have returned home from abroad to start on the Gort Motorway.

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 1081067, member: 1786”]A few big infrastructure projects starting up now too.
Know of a few lads who have returned home from abroad to start on the Gort Motorway.[/QUOTE]
Fucking hell if ever there was a need for a road.

I’d rather if they did Limerick to Cork. Surely they will have to make a start on it in the next 5/10 years.
Once done you would have all the main cities linked by continuous motorway.

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 1081088, member: 1786”]I’d rather if they did Limerick to Cork. Surely they will have to make a start on it in the next 5/10 years.
Once done you would have all the main cities linked by continuous motorway.[/QUOTE]
Limerick to Galway as it is, is a doddle.
Limerick to Cork is beyond painful. Fully agree, it needs to be looked at asap.

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 1081088, member: 1786”]I’d rather if they did Limerick to Cork. Surely they will have to make a start on it in the next 5/10 years.
Once done you would have all the main cities linked by continuous motorway.[/QUOTE]
Ya, it’s obviously a political thing, as in not enough pull in that area.
Surprising maybe JP didn’t push for it.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1081092, member: 273”]Ya, it’s obviously a political thing, as in not enough pull in that area.
Surprising maybe JP didn’t push for it.[/QUOTE]
His Helicopters don’t need a motorway to use as a guide to Cork.

You are being particularly drab and thick tonight, even for a Tipp man.