Cristiano Ronaldo - Legend (But just not as good as Messi)

The types who go over the top about him are almost exclusively Man Utd fans. It would have been great if Man City were bothered to try to sign him like Ronnie wanted them to

1 Like

International level is ultimate barometer. Messi failed where as Ronaldo thrived.

Lads going on about a last minute equaliser to Atalanta ffs :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Messi has had a better international career than Ronaldo. Scoring goals against Liechtenstein doesn’t mean anything

Where you have him ranked in the pantheon of great Real Madrid finishers?

I’d have him slightly behind Emilio Butragueno myself. Did you know The Vulture’s heart rate slowed when he found himself with a chance to score?

That was scientifically proven.

1 Like

Raul was clinical

Hugo Sanchez probably the greatest Real Madrid finisher of my lifetime.

before my time.

The Galloping Major, Ferenc Puskas would be Number 1 on that front for me.

Are you still drunk?

He’s not the greatest player that’s ever played the game. That’s the other Ronaldo for me.

He’s probably the most clutch player that’s ever played, I’ve never seen a player deliver as much when the chips are down.

3 Likes

Yeah. Sure they’re no better than Olympiacos in 2005.

That’s probably it. United will always have a chance of a late goal with him on the pitch.

1 Like

He is good for on average a goal a game you could say.
But you are basically playing with ten men for the game.
So would you take a one goal head start but being down to ten men is the conundrum. Grand against the weaker sides, but you get caught against the better ones.

Must be a very close run thing with Alfredo Di Stefano.

They’re not playing with 10 men, they’re playing with 11 men, one of which is the biggest goal threat in the game. A striker feeds on service. Ronaldo doesn’t get his goals by standing on the spot waiting for the ball, his movement and instincts are absolutely top drawer.

3 Likes

1 Like

Its easy have a pop off Ronaldo because he’s not running around like a headless chicken. He’s a beast of a player, and an intelligent one at that.

what restarted this thread was calling Ronaldo the greatest finisher ever. He is very, very far from the greatest finisher ever. Certainly one of the greatest players ever, but his shots to goals ratio wouldnt push him as being the greatest finisher.

You do need to work your game plan around him though. I agree with the point that his movement is great from an attacking perspective, but he doesnt work to get the ball back like other forwards do. Zlatan had a piece in his book I recall about how its not a defenders job to score and its not a forwards job to defend. He doesnt waste energy tracking back and conserves it for attacking purposes. Ronaldo may be quite similar in that regard.

I would certainly rate Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima as the greatest finisher ever.

2 Likes